Sep 9, 2011
    MD
    That seems right.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Reviving thread. Anyone got any lines on freezers. Looking online seems they say maybe Sep or Oct

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I've seen the little freezers at Sams and Home Depot come back in stock at least temporarily.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've seen the little freezers at Sams and Home Depot come back in stock at least temporarily.

My little Sam's freezer is still chugging along. Had it 10 years? It finally might need defrosting, and it lives in the garage.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Looks like some of the mid-sized ones were in stock earlier this week.

I've been trying to keep my eyes open for a small one, but no dice.

I'm gonna share my low tech, highly effective "Did my freezer thaw?" method...
    Get a shot glass, 35mm film canister (I know) or something of similar size. Fill it with water and freeze it. Once frozen, place a penny on top. Whenever you open your freezer, the penny should be on top of the ice. If the penny is 1/4 of the way down or more, you need to consider that at some point your freezer stopped working and started to thaw. If your penny is on the bottom, it would be a good idea to pitch the contents, because it thawed significantly.

BartExp

Ultimate Member
    I recently moved and brought my freezer with me. It was previously in the basement and no issues. Now it sits in the garage. Working fine as far as I can tell. The wife is concerned about it running in 90 degree heat and losing food. I like squareG’s idea. I was thinking of get a $50 WiFi/Bluetooth monitor. But it’s $50.

Side note: the movers moved it 3/4s full.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Get a shot glass, 35mm film canister (I know) or something of similar size. Fill it with water and freeze it. Once frozen, place a penny on top. Whenever you open your freezer, the penny should be on top of the ice. If the penny is 1/4 of the way down or more, you need to consider that at some point your freezer stopped working and started to thaw. If your penny is on the bottom, it would be a good idea to pitch the contents, because it thawed significantly.

Exactly what I do for our other house. My folks have a habit of thinking I'm still in college and need to stock my freezer when they come to stay. I walk in and see the microwave blinking and have no way of knowing how long the power was out and end up tossing food that might be perfectly good.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I would trust that more than any alarm. And I am done with auto defrosting freezers. First thing that dies on them is the defrost timer.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I put a WiFi monitor on both of my freezers. I get alerts on my phone if the freezer reaches my set point.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Got a 7.1 cu ft chest freezer today at Lowes, on sale for $219. Not the biggest, but allows me to put my crap in it so I don't take up space in the old lady's.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    What brand/model are you using? Do they work well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m using InkBird ITC-308 units. Technically, it’s a temperature controller. I used one to convert a chest freezer into a kegerator to keep the beer kegs at 40*F. For the freezers, I just set it at -40*F so it’ll always stay on and run normally. The InkBird will shut off power once it reaches the desired temperature.

I love these things. My chest freezer was originally purchased to ferment lagers, but with the ‘Rona I thought it’d be best to have another freezer. Simple change of a setting and I have a freezer again.

Right now my chest freezer is -9*F and my upright freezer is -15*F. I can monitor the temperature as long as I have internet on my phone. It’ll send alerts if the temperature gets outside of your set range.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I’m using InkBird ITC-308 units. Technically, it’s a temperature controller. I used one to convert a chest freezer into a kegerator to keep the beer kegs at 40*F. For the freezers, I just set it at -40*F so it’ll always stay on and run normally. The InkBird will shut off power once it reaches the desired temperature.

I love these things. My chest freezer was originally purchased to ferment lagers, but with the ‘Rona I thought it’d be best to have another freezer. Simple change of a setting and I have a freezer again.

Right now my chest freezer is -9*F and my upright freezer is -15*F. I can monitor the temperature as long as I have internet on my phone. It’ll send alerts if the temperature gets outside of your set range.

Neat device for $40 and less. Does the constant on/off power to the freezer seem to degrade compressor longevity? Do you have to drill to mount the wired probes or mount them somehow else?

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013

Doesn't ice melt last/freeze first at the top? Otherwise, fish would be frozen in ponds.

Think ice cube. It's lighter than water so it floats, keeping the penny on top until it's almost gone.

Last edited:

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Neat device for $40 and less. Does the constant on/off power to the freezer seem to degrade compressor longevity? Do you have to drill to mount the wired probes or mount them somehow else?

No, when it hits the threshold, it just sends power to the outlet to turn the device on. For my freezer I set it so low that it’s “on” 24/7. But by “on” it has power at the outlet, not necessarily running.

For my beer kegerator, the InkBird does cycle the unit on and off to maintain the low 40s temperature, but there’s a compressor delay setting so you can set the minimum time between on/off cycles.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    No, when it hits the threshold, it just sends power to the outlet to turn the device on. For my freezer I set it so low that it’s “on” 24/7. But by “on” it has power at the outlet, not necessarily running.

For my beer kegerator, the InkBird does cycle the unit on and off to maintain the low 40s temperature, but there’s a compressor delay setting so you can set the minimum time between on/off cycles.

What do you need to do to it to get it to send an email alert? Is there an app or something for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom