• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I understand that this is a partisan attack. But I'm also convinced that WLP is indeed a POS that has f'ed every single member at possibly the most critical time in our 2A fight. He deserves far worse than what he's likely to receive.

New York State Attorney General Letitia James filed a lawsuit Thursday seeking to dissolve the powerful National Rifle Association, alleging self-dealing among the organization’s top officials despite being registered as a non-profit.
    James accused senior leadership at the nation’s largest pro-gun lobbying group, including chief executive Wayne LaPierre, of diverting millions of dollars away from the organization’s “charitable mission” for trips to the Bahamas, private jets, expensive meals and other luxury items.

The group, which is based in Fairfax, Virginia, but chartered in New York, also appeared to dole out lucrative no-show contracts to former employees in order to “buy their silence and continued loyalty.”
    “The NRA’s influence has been so powerful that the organization went unchecked for decades while top executives funneled millions into their own pockets,” James said in a statement. “The NRA is fraught with fraud and abuse, which is why, today, we seek to dissolve the NRA, because no organization is above the law.”
    Following an 18-month investigation, James is asking the court to dissolve the NRA and require each of the current and former executives named in the suit to pay full restitution. The suit argues that the four executives, including LaPierre, should be barred from serving on the board of any charity in New York.
    The lawsuit claims that the organization had a $27.8 million surplus in 2015, which dwindled by $64 million just three years later as the group reported being $36 million in the red.

At a Manhattan press conference, James said the NRA operated as “a breeding ground for greed, abuse and brazen illegality.”
    “Today we send a strong and loud message: No one is above the law, not even the NRA, one of the most powerful organizations in this country,” she said.
    LaPierre, who has led the lobbying group for decades, spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on private trips for himself and his family, the suit alleges. Those trips include eight visits to the Bahamas and all-expense-paid safaris in Africa with his wife, Susan, according to the lawsuit.
    Over the past two years, LaPierre also spent $3.6 million on travel consultants and several million dollars on private security for himself and his family, according to the suit.
    The others named in the suit are general counsel John Frazer, former CFO Woody Phillips, and former chief of staff Joshua Powell.
    James alleges that Powell’s salary rose from $250,000 to $800,000 over the span of just two years. He and the others are also accused of directing charitable funds to be used for the benefit of family members and friends.
    Phillips allegedly lied on financial forms, set up a $1.8 million consulting contract for himself just before he retired without telling his replacement and directed a deal worth more than $1 million to his girlfriend.
    Anyone who attempted to blow the whistle on the quartet were allegedly retaliated against by LaPierre, according to the suit.
    In a statement, the NRA cast the legal action as a political and “baseless, premeditated attack on our organization and the Second Amendment freedoms it fights to defend.”
    The group also filed its own lawsuit against James.
    “This has been a power grab by a political opportunist – a desperate move that is part of a rank political vendetta,” the group said. “Our members won’t be intimidated or bullied in their defense of political and constitutional freedom.”
    The cash-strapped gun group, which doled out roughly $30 million to help elect President Trump in 2016, has been beset by financial trouble and internal unrest in recent years.
    Trump defended the NRA after James’ probe became public last year, tweeting that the group was “under siege” by her and Gov. Cuomo. The president accused the pair of “illegally using the State’s legal apparatus to take down and destroy this very important organization, & others.”
    Last year, the organization suspended its top lobbyist and one of his deputies and former NRA president Oliver North stepped down amid accusations of an attempted effort to oust LaPierre.
    In calling for the group’s dissolution, James cited a court order secured last year against Trump’s former charity as precedent. In an unusual move, the president admitted to misusing charitable funds from the Trump Foundation to boost his presidential campaign and purchase a $10,000 portrait of himself and was ordered to pay $2 million in damages to eight charities. The charity was dissolved.
    Trump called James’ lawsuit against the NRA ”a very terrible thing” and suggested the group register in another state.
    “I think the NRA should move to Texas and lead a very good and beautiful life,” Trump said. “I’ve told them that for a long time ... This has been going on for a long time. They’ve been absolutely decimated by the cost of that lawsuit, and it is very sad, but I would suggest that’s what they should be doing.”
    Gun control advocates, meanwhile, applauded the action and had little sympathy for the group’s troubles.
    “Thoughts and prayers today to the NRA, which is losing money and political power so quickly that by the end of this case, there might not be anything left to dissolve,” said Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action. “The NRA is just as out of touch with American voters as they seem to be with NY law, and come November, we’re going to make sure they’re out of power, too.”
    John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety, said his group has been warning regulators about corruption within the lobbying organization’s ranks for years.
    “Even casual observers of the NRA have seen it turn from a safety-focused non-profit into a front group for gun manufacturers and a personal piggy bank for its leadership,” he said. “The NRA has endangered millions of lives and done unspeakable damage to our political system, and we agree with Attorney General James that dissolution and all other remedies must be on the table.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/po...0200806-ysdpxhgkufeznhgozyfgz6degu-story.html

Tactikool

Jun 30, 2020
    I think one thing that has not been considered is how much of a morale boost for the gun control movement it would be to topple the NRA.
    Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

This it the catch. Letting the NRA fail may be the best long-term strategy for the gun rights movement, but it’s really unclear what the cost to 2A rights will be if this is the path taken.

ricko444

Feb 9, 2014
    James and Cuomo have vowed to ruin the NRA. It looks like they are doing a pretty good job. Divide and Conquer - to win by getting one's opponents to fight among themselves. If the NRA was not a force to be reckoned I doubt there would be a lawsuit.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Gee, if only this were at the end of T45's second term. Then he could be elected head of the NRA & really turn the organization around.

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    My $.02. Does WLP need to go and the Org need restructuring? Yes indeed. But that is for us to do. Not an anti 2A AG whose stated purpose is to destroy the association and the voice of its members. She can do this by litigating the Organization to bankruptcy. Notice there are no criminal indictments against WLP and his cronies. Based on some of the opinions I have read here She is winning. Division among us and destruction of the Pro 2A organizations are the goal of our enemies. I have been a member since the 70’s and witnessed the internal wars. They were nasty but they were internal and made some good changes at the time.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    This AG is the same woman who called the NRA a “terrorist organization.” Gosh, with several million NRA terrorists loose in America, she’s really going to have her hands full.

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    I think we need to examine the NRA's role in the big picture. They certainly aren't (nor should they be) the "do it all" organization for everything 2A. In my view, their critical roles are:
    1. Lobbying
    2. Training/Safety/Education
    3. Be the "lightning rod" for the anti's
    4. Promoters of shooting sports (ranges, museum, etc...)

While I'll be the first to recognize that the NRA needs to be "recalibrated" in a lot of areas, they bring a lot of important things to the table and free up a lot of other groups, like SAF, to do what they do without a lot of heat from anti 2A groups.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You forgot one:
    5. Shamelessly whore for Trump and turn a non-partisan issue (2A) into a bitterly partisan one so they can raise funds for the corrupt assholes running the show to spend on themselves

**** WLP; they should throw him, his cronies, and the self-dealers on the board in jail.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I say support MSI. I’m a member of the NRA too but MSI is a great organization that works for us.

Samlab

Feb 14, 2018
    Down by the riverside
    I actually wanted to avoid this....but....

The NRA is under assualt and so are you! This is a play by play that is orchestrated and all of you nay sayers on here are reacting exactly the way the liberals thought you would....sheer uninformed stupidity.

Wherever Olie goes so goes everything to crap. It's all about power, greed and money.
    Both of those who orchestrated this fiasco of airing their dirty laundry needed to go....organizationally they over-reached beyond their authority.

Every single Director in DC running an Association, holds the power and yes they do indeed make the bucks....no problem.

But the Liberals have YOU exactly where they want you. Mob rule is pervasive in the age of the internet. I read here, I now give my money to blah, blah, blah....just what they wanted from YOU! Those orgs have no clout!

Do you know what a sell-out is? Worse is the sheeple effect. All of you are being, or are siding with organizations that want your rights trampled on by abandoning the NRA? That's exactly the reaction they expected and your feeding into innuendo as fact?

Who gives a mhit that he buys $1500 suits!

Plenty of people do, and they even own guns. The rule of you get what you pay for....some people have done research on the opposing side that feeds YOU disinformation to their END result.

Now is indeed the time to send, join and support the NRA. Period. Anything less is abandoning yourself, willed by those that wish to damage the NRA with the legal costs to defend nothing which is the only game they have....notice NY first....shes a Bloomberg girl! Compounded....then DC....see a pattern?

As I say, you have to have a keen sense of the obvious, see a pattern, and then dont get caught in the minutia. You do and they win....no different than the election coming up....this is called Operations Management at its worst....they are on the offensive it's got to be about feel good topics, it has to be branded....just say no drugs was the Reagan Era, the Clinton's just look the other way, No new taxes the Bushes, Obama you can(t) keep your Doctor lies while we all buy stock in Healthcare Corps and to hell with global warming I'm building a 15 million dollar beachfront home on Cape Cod....no outrage here?

Let's make America great again....Biden let's make mo better again while I count all my Chinese dollars.....

Your on the verge of potentially having a guy named Beetlejuice assigned to make you turn in your AR14?

In summary, anyone not investing your money in the NRA, well you will indeed eventually erode and loose your right. You and you alone will deserve it, since you just played yourself at the will of your opposition.

STOP OPINING ABOUT ABANDONING THE NRA. NOW IS THE TIME TO COME TOGETHER AS A VOTING BLOCK, INVEST IN YOUR CAUSE AS THEY KNOW, KNOCK OFF THE NRA AND THEY HAVE FULL REIN BECAUSE THEY LIKE TO MAKE LAWS ABOUT TOPICS THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT....ALWAYS SUPPORT YOUR ADVOCATES.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    In reading this thread, I’m reminded of that old refrain about not helping those in need and then realizing no one was left to help me when they came for me. The NRA does far too much for us as shooters and gun owners to justify dumping the entire organization, IMO, if for no other reason than it is what the left wants.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    NRA and SAF/GOA are entirely different organizations. NRA is the only 2A org with any clout lobbying on a national level. GOA doesn't have the clout, though it would be nice to see membership grow to the numbers NRA boasts. SAF fights important legal battles and needs to continue that.

There are 2 options. NRA members need to be very vocal about the organization. WLP and his ilk NEED to go. I am an endowment member, but will not give one more dime to Wayne's wardrobe or vacations. A complete turn-around at the top with people dedicated to protecting 2A rights while having respect for the donations of their members. The second option is a mass migration of membership to a place like GOA, building the kind of political power NRA yields. Frankly, the former is better than the latter. It's easier to fix the machine in place that is working, to a degree, than to try to build a new machine from the ground up.

Tactikool

Jun 30, 2020
    Could always be worse.

Attachments

• EB70DB5C-8630-4396-9CFA-27A898CB704E.jpg
      EB70DB5C-8630-4396-9CFA-27A898CB704E.jpg
      38.1 KB · Views: 195

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I would love the NRA to clean house and stop any wasteful spending , if they did that i would more then likely jump up one level from Life Member . But if someone can prove they are not wasting the members money then i will go with what i know . When clothes and other extreme personal comfort buys are front and center i will stay back .

No more money from me . The sharks (liberals) smell blood in the water and are seizing on a opportunity which is bad enough and i get that , but if the NRA is so dumb not to realize they have a PR night mare with it's members i don't know what will get their attention

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I disagree with what the NRA has been doing with our funds but in reality, I need to go with the organisation with the most lobbying clout....NRA for now.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    5. Shamelessly whore for Trump and turn a non-partisan issue (2A) into a bitterly partisan one

Your right to self defense and to keep and bear arms became a bitter partisan issue YEARS ago. Democrats of various stripes have been signalling their contempt for the Bill of Rights generally for a long time. The 2A is, for them, the low-hanging fruit they can go after because gun ownership tends - by wide margins - to correlate strongly with those of a more self-sufficient, smaller government mindset. The far left has always hated people who think like that, and the far left is now what is motivating and controlling the Dem party.

They hate YOU because your world view. Gun ownership is simply one of the most visible manifestations of that, and they want to break it, as a way to break you and whatever strength might come from you acting in concert with like-minded people. The NRA is one manifestation of that, so of course they hate the NRA, too. But only because, first and foremost, the Democrats (and especially their new overtly Marxist captains) hate you. And they really, really hate Trump for not playing their game according to their rules, but more like YOUR rules. They hate the judges he's seating, the regulations he's rolling back, the law and and order he's promoting, and the self-sufficiency and work ethic he cheers for.

Blaming the NRA for the Dems hating your 2A-protected gun rights is wildly missing what's really going on, here.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    NRA and SAF/GOA are entirely different organizations. NRA is the only 2A org with any clout lobbying on a national level. GOA doesn't have the clout, though it would be nice to see membership grow to the numbers NRA boasts. SAF fights important legal battles and needs to continue that.

There are 2 options. NRA members need to be very vocal about the organization. WLP and his ilk NEED to go. I am an endowment member, but will not give one more dime to Wayne's wardrobe or vacations. A complete turn-around at the top with people dedicated to protecting 2A rights while having respect for the donations of their members. The second option is a mass migration of membership to a place like GOA, building the kind of political power NRA yields. Frankly, the former is better than the latter. It's easier to fix the machine in place that is working, to a degree, than to try to build a new machine from the ground up.

This 100%

The liberals are scared of the NRA , it’s why they want them gone BUT we are them!

We are the nra , we are what the liberals are scared of

Once they get rid of the nra the liberals have no one to fear and WE are fvcked

Of this I have no doubt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom