• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yep. I saw that link and thought it was nice. I didn't quote it for that reason. I am a fan of some of the stuff Rainier carries. The more bipods I try, the more I like Harris's. They're super light and simple to use. If I'm shooting from a bench, I like some kind of bag rest. If I'm shooting from the wild, I'll make do with what nature provides.

The bags are nice. I have a couple Magpul bipods, and I’m pretty happy with them.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have used many. For bargain basement Matrix Arms, AT3, and Strike industries. I also have used premier brands Like Seekins, Mid West, Vltor, etc. Every one of them had things I liked and disliked but all of them did their job. I have not used any non rail type hand guards but I prefer a little more customizable options.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I am starting to dig these drop-in rails for fixed front sight AR's, like this MidWest Industries on my Middy 14.5" pencil barrel SBR

Attachments

• IMG_0767.jpg
      IMG_0767.jpg
      79 KB · Views: 293

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    I may be cheap, but I refuse to pay $400 on a rail. That's crazy! If I was to, it would be on a mil spec drop-in, not a free float. Free floats are range toys. Drop-ins are for fighting.

Curious... what about free float vs drop in makes you say this? Is there a durability issue with free float? I’ve never held or shot Anything with free float Handguards. Without really thinking about it, I just assumed they were just an older style

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I may be cheap, but I refuse to pay $400 on a rail. That's crazy! If I was to, it would be on a mil spec drop-in, not a free float. Free floats are range toys. Drop-ins are for fighting.

Why are drop-ins better for fighting?

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I recently bought a set of Hera handguards. I wanted something inexpensive. I found some on sale and as an added bonus, they had integrated sling QD mounts. I know, my standards can be low on some things. I like them just fine for what they are. The only problem that I had is the proprietary barrel nut required a 30mm wrench. I could have just used a crescent wrench but I wanted to torque the barrel nut. (I don't always torque, but when I do, it's the barrel nut. LOL) I needed a crows foot open end wrench to do it. These things are hard to find. I looked in kits at the local hardware haunts and they were either out of stock of cost around $40-$60 for a single wrench. Snapon truck had them for $80. I ended up buying one off ebay from a race car engine building shop out of London. It cost me 12 quid. I had to look at a pile of rifle parts on the kitchen table for a week and a half before the wrench came in the mail.

Point is, Hera handguards barrel nut wrench is 30mm

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I recently bought a set of Hera handguards. I wanted something inexpensive. I found some on sale and as an added bonus, they had integrated sling QD mounts. I know, my standards can be low on some things. I like them just fine for what they are. The only problem that I had is the proprietary barrel nut required a 30mm wrench. I could have just used a crescent wrench but I wanted to torque the barrel nut. (I don't always torque, but when I do, it's the barrel nut. LOL) I needed a crows foot open end wrench to do it. These things are hard to find. I looked in kits at the local hardware haunts and they were either out of stock of cost around $40-$60 for a single wrench. Snapon truck had them for $80. I ended up buying one off ebay from a race car engine building shop out of London. It cost me 12 quid. I had to look at a pile of rifle parts on the kitchen table for a week and a half before the wrench came in the mail.

Point is, Hera handguards barrel nut wrench is 30mm
    A week and a half? My DMR build has been staring at me for the past 4 years. It'll finally be put together today...

If that isn't patience, I don't know what is.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    A week and a half? My DMR build has been staring at me for the past 4 years. It'll finally be put together today...

That was just wait time on the wrench, but I get your point.

I have been waiting for HMG to produce their StG44, I guess it has been going on something like four years or more. I am trying to remain patient.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

That beats me. I only stared at my AR-10 build for a year and a half before I finally built it a few weeks ago. And then rebuilt it.

Getting it to the range for the 2nd time with an adjustable gas block this time (and some other parts swaps).

I think technically I had the lower and upper for more like 2.5yrs, but I've had all of the other parts (in the initial build) for a year and a half before I got off my butt and put it together.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    That was just wait time on the wrench, but I get your point.

I have been waiting for HMG to produce their StG44, I guess it has been going on something like four years or more. I am trying to remain patient.
    That beats me. I only stared at my AR-10 build for a year and a half before I finally built it a few weeks ago. And then rebuilt it.

Getting it to the range for the 2nd time with an adjustable gas block this time (and some other parts swaps).

I think technically I had the lower and upper for more like 2.5yrs, but I've had all of the other parts (in the initial build) for a year and a half before I got off my butt and put it together.
    And it has been delayed. Grey Ghost Precision hand guard was apparently sized for the AR-15, instead of the AR-10. The barrel nut went on snugly, but there were no instructions in the box for torque values. Torqued to 40 ft/lbs. Noticed my match barrel was canted 45 degrees. Well, crap. Tried to take off the barrel nut and it sheared a small piece off. Got really pissed off and used a dremel tool to cut off the barrel nut. Found out that the barrel nut was too tight, so it squeezed the upper enough to crack a chin out and no idea where it is, I had to use the handle of my breaker bar to tap the barrel out of the upper.

Midway told me to piss off and bother the manufacturer because I modified the product. How the hell am I supposed to get the barrel nut off, if I don't cut it off?

Called the manufacturer. Customer service lady wanted pics. Sent pics. Exact words from her were "HOLY SH!T!!!!" when she saw the images.

I already ordered a new match barrel, Aero M5 upper, and the Aero Atlas hand guard. We'll see what Gray Ghost first to make things right on a $235 rail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom