HQL denied to to Medical Marijuana Card?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    The less you deal with the government or get a permission card, the better off you are. You can get CBD without a card and I use that sometimes for anxiety or muscle aches.

fauxknee

Mar 9, 2018
    Why in the world would anyone think that after announcing that they need cannabis so badly that they’ll pay money and have a Doctor certify that they need to use a psychoactive substance to get through their day......and.....then believe they’ll be approved to buy guns??? This was something that needed to be thought about before jumping on the MM bandwagon. I didn’t even have to think twice because my profession is licensed by the state AND, you know...... guns. This should be obvious to everyone. You don’t expect caregivers in the hospital are stoned just like I expect the people around me at the range are sober.

I’m surprised by the number of enablers and those who believe cannabis use is inconsequential

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Why in the world would anyone think that after announcing that they need cannabis so badly that they’ll pay money and have a Doctor certify that they need to use a psychoactive substance to get through their day......and.....then believe they’ll be approved to buy guns??? This was something that needed to be thought about before jumping on the MM bandwagon. I didn’t even have to think twice because my profession is licensed by the state AND, you know...... guns. This should be obvious to everyone. You don’t expect caregivers in the hospital are stoned just like I expect the people around me at the range are sober.

I’m surprised by the number of enablers and those who believe cannabis use is inconsequential

Agreed. I don't see why people would think that a drug that would make you a prohibited person and not given the "OK" by the feds would be "overruled" by the MD Legislature.

Blasting

Feb 12, 2020
    Agreed. I don't see why people would think that a drug that would make you a prohibited person and not given the "OK" by the feds would be "overruled" by the MD Legislature.

Especially when it expressly says so in the paperwork. The last forms I saw had a notation about how it doesn't matter if it is legal in your state, it is still illegal according to the feds.

Of course that was not an exact quote but even where pot is like beer and cigarettes legal they make it clear it is a no go. But then as the OP was talking about, this is not a recreational thing it is a medical thing and I am not wondering about HIPAA and why is that info not protected info? - sorry if this was covered, I admit not reading the thread....

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Especially when it expressly says so in the paperwork. The last forms I saw had a notation about how it doesn't matter if it is legal in your state, it is still illegal according to the feds.

Of course that was not an exact quote but even where pot is like beer and cigarettes legal they make it clear it is a no go. But then as the OP was talking about, this is not a recreational thing it is a medical thing and I am not wondering about HIPAA and why is that info not protected info? - sorry if this was covered, I admit not reading the thread....

HIPAA:

You literally put yourself on a government registry to use marijuana “legally”. HIPAA doesn’t come into play AT ALL. This is an agreement between you and your state.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    funny oxymoron or just moron..ic? some claim states rights over fed, especially wit hrespect to 2A. My brother is one who tells me so we screwed in MD. But, when it comes to Pot- I am 54 and only tried once in 11th grade at a party.... hated it.. Fed supercedes. funny how some pick and choose.

Perhaps makes no sense what I was trying to state. I agrue with one of my younger brothers about the 2A and how some think states over fed rights, etc. long and drawn out so nevermind.

Rosanne Rosannadanna shakes her head ruefully

Plus, 16 pages? We discussed this ad nausium prior to legalization and how a way to block people from owning firearms since their state allows but Federally, still illegal.

Doing my best eRuby..give no fawkes.

Blasting

Feb 12, 2020
    HIPAA:

You literally put yourself on a government registry to use marijuana “legally”. HIPAA doesn’t come into play AT ALL. This is an agreement between you and your state.

I clearly do not understand this, but then this type of thing was never a concern to me. Why would an entry on a govt form be outside HIPAA unless that is part of the agreement?

If the MM request says the user must agree to waive rights or have their MM info public, then that would explain it.

pjd832

Jul 26, 2012
    Another for of government control. Get everyone on Legal Marijuana but you forfeit your right to own a firearm.

Said that when the talk of such a card was going to be issued.... nobody listened lol ..... “legal marijuana” is not an accurate term.... the correct one would be “permitted use”

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    exactly

Said that when the talk of such a card was going to be issued.... nobody listened lol ..... “legal marijuana” is not an accurate term.... the correct one would be “permitted use”

yup hence, the ad nauseum mention in my post. We all talked about how it screws people. States see it as primarily a money cash cow for their coffers and secondarily, a way to block people from owning firearms..

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

But..but..but..they can still get a license and drive a car stoned. In D.C. and Baltimorgue you can get high just walking on the sidewalk from all the secondhand smoke coming from the vehicles going by.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I clearly do not understand this, but then this type of thing was never a concern to me. Why would an entry on a govt form be outside HIPAA unless that is part of the agreement?

If the MM request says the user must agree to waive rights or have their MM info public, then that would explain it.

HIPPA prevents a health care provider from discussing your medical conditions. It doesn't prevent anyone else from doing it. If pot was legal to be sold to anyone with an Rx in a pharmacy, you'd probably have a case. It isn't though.

Rue

Aug 30, 2018
    I would contact the training facility an ask for my $$$$$$$ back. That is one of the first Laws/Rules that John at Fortress Training said in the class...

fauxknee

Mar 9, 2018
    But..but..but..they can still get a license and drive a car stoned. In D.C. and Baltimorgue you can get high just walking on the sidewalk from all the secondhand smoke coming from the vehicles going by.

So you are suggesting that MM people should have their DL’s revoked and I agree. There’s a lack of knowledge being displayed in this thread so I’m gonna give my understandings as a healthcare worker that sees the negative effects of relying on cannabis for one reason or another.

A “patient” that seeks a “card” has “supposedly” EXHAUSTED ALL KNOWN MEDICAL TREATMENTS WITH NO RELIEF OF THEIR CRIPPLING AILMENTS. Think about that a second. It means that there is no Doctor that can help you with known treatments. So basically you shouldn’t be driving a vehicle anyway and you should be taken care of by others. Yet there are “Providers” that will give you a card because you’re giving them $1k cash money to say that you are untreatable by modern medicine. If the OP is going to be angry with anyone it should be that Provider that certified you as dependent on cannabis. Why do you think most Providers would never “prescribe” cannabis??? Currently the negative effects of this psychoactive substance out way any positive but it’s a money grab and Providers can make a living off of potheads. If you’re too stupid and announce that you’re a pot smoker, aka federal offender, then you should be restricted. I’m sickened by potheads that seek a card so they have an unending supply of weed. Think about the cancer patients that this is intended for.

To those worried about HIPAA.......If the BATFE is asking you personal information then Congress and Clinton gave them permission to know if your a drug user. You answer those questions without hesitation because you want that gun. HIPAA is regulation on healthcare, not government. HIPAA is a fricken joke like the President that signed it into law.

Cannabis is pervasive in our communities and no one needs a card. Everywhere I go I smell cannabis coming from vehicles. It’s especially scary when I’m on my Harley.

From the start this is not a 2A issue.....this is a professed drug user crying cuz they didn’t do their homework.

Take away from my rant?......Don’t get a card......ask your neighbor where he gets his:wtf:

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    nice ring to it~

I like the phase " stone cold stupid imoral losers." Does describe politicians to a T. One of your best my friend!!!

Medical marijuana...has a nice ring to it.

I’m dead sure it has application and provides relief. I didn’t make it illegal. I did make a living in an outfit that spent lots of taxpayer money in the misnamed WAR ON DRUGS. Tax that shit and be done with it.

Politicians are stone cold stupid, immoral losers. The folks that elect and re-elect them get exactly what they deserve.

As long as MJ is illegal and BATFE controls guns and ammo, MM is gonna be a disqualifier.

To be surprised is imo naive. I get it if you’re angry but surprised? You’re looking at all of this the wrong way.

Legislation and our legal system are designed to make our money theirs. Period.

Anything that is so complex, ambiguous and or ignorant is an excuse for the septic system that is our machinery of jurisprudence to aggressively assault our precious personal assets...time and money.

C’mon. It’s simple.

Blasting

Feb 12, 2020
    HIPPA prevents a health care provider from discussing your medical conditions. It doesn't prevent anyone else from doing it. If pot was legal to be sold to anyone with an Rx in a pharmacy, you'd probably have a case. It isn't though.

Again, I am not expert but a quick search on HIPAA says otherwise. Many protections and it is not limited to healthcare providers. Even the servers and storage of data is protected and must be handled in a specific way.

One site for nurses said the MM is conducted via a medical doctor and the treatment prescribed is just as HIPAA protected as anything. They did say if ya used a credit card that it is not possible to protect that transaction.

So I believe we are back to the MD MM registration - do they have some way to get around not protecting the medical information? IDK, I have never seen the forms and do not know what the fine print, or any print, says about the procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom