• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    New take on the hyd buffer concept, anyone try it yet? I always thought it would be interesting to replace the buffer spring with magnets, but this is also a cool concept.

https://www.omnirobusta.com/

[YT]iVbdAEHci4g[/YT]

[YT]zBgrobfNzfk[/YT]

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hate to say it, but I tried Taccom's DBRS (magnetically delayed blowback), and I was not impressed. Lots of doubling. Could be these guys did it better, but YMMV, etc.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I have a couple on the way for my HD and 3 gun setup. I mostly run lower pressure ammo for easier follow up shots and the adjustable nature of these devices makes it attractive to me for when I change up ammo, or change up uppers, etc.. I've had hydraulic and fancy spring designs and had issues with short stroking and battery issues, feed ramp wear, etc...

Looking forward to getting mine, and will give a range report. It's a veteran owned company and I owe my freedom to guys like that. Call me weird, but I'd rather give my money to a guy like that versus BLM, or Antifa.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Might be fine for gun games but anything adjustable seems like a bad idea for a defensive weapon.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    That's interesting. I'd like to hear some honest feedback on this. So far experimenting around to find the lightest recoiling setup the winner has been a lightened bcg with an empty buffer and adjustable gas block. It's super ammo sensitive but so far has been reliable when I stick to one ammo.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    It's a solution for a not a problem. And the guys that shoot steel cased ammo will love the shavings throughout their gun. I dont want magnetic anything near my guns.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Just a thought, aren't those super magnets really brittle? How do you think they'd hold up?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Nothing wrong with a better mousetrap. Knowing how magnets work, I get it.

Magnets don’t take well to battering and jarring. That tends to diminish their strength. That said, curious to hear of high volume use of this item. I, too, see it as a game part. It supplants tuning done to perfect the gun, ammo and shooter system.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Magnets can have some cool properties as dampeners, or provide initial resistance, but problem is when they are applied in place of progressive resistance or as a substitute for mass/momentum. Where the buffer's mass helps provide resistance from the initial movement of the bolt, the spring has tension, but little mass, so in practice an ounce of weight in the buffer can slow cycle speed FAR more than an increase of several pounds worth of spring tension(with little actual change in spring mass). Springs increase resistance as they are compressed, where magnets can have a lot of initial resistance to separate them if they are connected by opposing poles(kinda opposite of a spring's increasing rate), or they can serve as a decent progressive spring if like poles are pushed together. Not sure exactly how this setup is, but if it uses magnetic attraction it could be cool, if it uses magnetic repulsion, not sure if a simpler spring might be a better way to go, if it's an attempt at substituting resistance for mass, then it's probably pointless.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Can't wait to install one and try it out on the range. It's not much money compared to having a gunsmith going through my competition pistols and rifles to spruce them up, and if it works as intended I'll be even happier than I normally am. If it doesn't work, I'll sell it on MDS classifieds as a nice refrigerator magnet, or office paperclip holder/organizer.

We have a nice thread on stupid stuff we've bought, and if this just adds to that thread it will only help me to get to the post count needed for the secret watercooler section where the real deals on in stock ammo at pre Covid prices, and in stock Glock 17's in Gen 5.5 sold locally are.

Also, the MDS Fight Club. :kicknuts:

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Not impressed. Springs exert a resistance linear with compression. Magnet's the inverse 4th power as I recall.

BLUF, springs dampen recoil over there entire length. Magnets slam the brakes at the last 1/4" or less.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    *****Can't wait to install one and try it out on the range. It's not much money compared to having a gunsmith going through my competition pistols and rifles to spruce them up, and if it works as intended I'll be even happier than I normally am. If it doesn't work, I'll sell it on MDS classifieds as a nice refrigerator magnet, or office paperclip holder/organizer.

We have a nice thread on stupid stuff we've bought, and if this just adds to that thread it will only help me to get to the post count needed for the secret watercooler section where the real deals on in stock ammo at pre Covid prices, and in stock Glock 17's in Gen 5.5 sold locally are.

Also, the MDS Fight Club. :kicknuts:
    Only 7,832 posts to go...:innocent0

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Magnets can have some cool properties as dampeners, or provide initial resistance, but problem is when they are applied in place of progressive resistance or as a substitute for mass/momentum. Where the buffer's mass helps provide resistance from the initial movement of the bolt, the spring has tension, but little mass, so in practice an ounce of weight in the buffer can slow cycle speed FAR more than an increase of several pounds worth of spring tension(with little actual change in spring mass). Springs increase resistance as they are compressed, where magnets can have a lot of initial resistance to separate them if they are connected by opposing poles(kinda opposite of a spring's increasing rate), or they can serve as a decent progressive spring if like poles are pushed together. Not sure exactly how this setup is, but if it uses magnetic attraction it could be cool, if it uses magnetic repulsion, not sure if a simpler spring might be a better way to go, if it's an attempt at substituting resistance for mass, then it's probably pointless.

The way I see it working is magnetic repulsion because of the increasing resistance. This appears to be an end of recoil dampener...smoothing out the impact at the end of the recoil stroke.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Downside in the later case is the force of a spring is linear on compression. The force of a magnet is the inverse cube rule.

Halve the distance, increase the force 8x.

The issue there is you have very little force until the magnets are very close together. You might as well just have a rubber or polymer buffer stop (it would work better).

Honestly if you want to go complex, might as well just use a pneumatic shock absorber as the buffer. Make it adjustable and done.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Not impressed. Springs exert a resistance linear with compression. Magnet's the inverse 4th power as I recall.

BLUF, springs dampen recoil over there entire length. Magnets slam the brakes at the last 1/4" or less.

Depends on the spring. For the AR the standard spring is linear and have not seen a progressive one though I am sure someone makes it. By nature progressive springs are difficult o predict when you change things. Most of my experience with progressive springs is in car suspensions but all the all the basic principles are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom