Future SCOTUS Justice ACB now what in regards to 2A??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    It’s been 10 long years since SCOTUS has taken on a 2A case with the lower courts full of left leaning/liberal judges trampling all over gun rights.
    Now with Barrett chosen as the future justice and supporter of gun rights..
    The question remains what is everyone’s guess as to which 2A case is heard first now that it’s a solid 5-4 conservative to dem bench??

Bush appointed Justice Roberts is simply not a trusted conservative justice. The 6-3 non sense I’m seeing all over the media is simply fake news..

Couple that popped up in my mind in no particular order..

Cali’s >10rd magazine ban?
    Hawaii’s CCW permit case? Maybe Maryland’s good and substantial case?
    NY’s various draconian gun laws?
    Etc

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    It’s been 10 long years since SCOTUS has taken on a 2A case with the lower courts full of left leaning/liberal judges trampling all over gun rights.
    Now with Barrett chosen as the future justice and supporter of gun rights..
    The question remains what is everyone’s guess as to which 2A case is heard first now that it’s a solid 5-4 conservative to dem bench??

Bush appointed Justice Roberts is simply not a trusted conservative justice. The 6-3 non sense I’m seeing all over the media is simply fake news..

Couple that popped up in my mind in no particular order..

Cali’s >10rd magazine ban?
    Hawaii’s CCW permit case? Maybe Maryland’s good and substantial case?
    NY’s various draconian gun laws?
    Etc

If we get Barrett on the bench, I suspect you'll see a lot of states drop appeals that could result in overturning laws in other states/districts. The Dem AGs aren't uncoordinated in their assault on the 2nd, so they'll take smaller losses at state and district levels to minimize the national impact.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Etc

4 if you count Caetano, which states the 2A extends outside the home. For some reason, everyone is ignoring it because it was a taser.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I am admittedly biased as a Marylander. But when comparing potential SCOTUS cases through the lens of what I believe to be most to least egregious, "good and substantial" has to rank right at the top. It is, in my mind at least, the absolute epitomy of government arrogance.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Hopefully, this will mean that the second amendment will start being treated as a right and not a privilege in the eyes of the legal system.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think that she will be strong on the 2A. Likely because of her ideology, and if not it will be to stick it to the Democrats who want to dismantle the Constitution. These are the same Democrats who are going to try to smear her reputation in coming days.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I think that she will be strong on the 2A. Likely because of her ideology, and if not it will be to stick it to the Democrats who want to dismantle the Constitution. These are the same Democrats who are going to try to smear her reputation in coming days.

That is a reason I liked her. She was referred to as a Female Anton Scalia. Meaning high hopes for constitutionalists.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Well, stop counting your chickens before they are hatched.

The committee hearings start the 12th, there are 4 days of hearings, then they hold in committee for a week. The nominee will go to the floor maybe Oct 26th or so, and there will be a few days of debate. The final vote will be extremely close to the election***.

There will be 5 weeks of protests, riots, unrest, wailing, and gnashing of teeth. If the confirmation vote does not happen before the election, it wont happen at all is my guess: if it does not happen before, its because some Senators in tight races lose their nerve. Generally, Senators are not known for backbone.

Also, I would add, all the prognostications of Gorsuch and Kavanaugh being good for the 2A have generally been wrong (including me). You should assume we will be in the status quo for quite some time, and if Biden wins its ill get worse. If the Dems win the Senate back, there is a fair chance that they eliminate the filibuster and pass a weapons ban. It would take a decade for that to reach the court, even if Barrett is confirmed.

*** of course, lots of people will have already mailed in their ballot or early voted this year, so maybe people will think that the die is cast.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That is a reason I liked her. She was referred to as a Female Anton Scalia. Meaning high hopes for constitutionalists.

The fact that folks in government are not held to the standard of being true to the Constitution is very disturbing.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    They view the constitution way to limit us not the government. It is completely upside down.
    The constitution was put in place to limit the government rights not ours.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    They view the constitution way to limit us not the government. It is completely upside down.

After the smoke clears, the Nation will need to make sure this is understood.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    If the Dems win the Senate back, there is a fair chance that they eliminate the filibuster and pass a weapons ban. It would take a decade for that to reach the court, even if Barrett is confirmed.

It's pretty much a certainty they'll pass Raskin's AWB introduced in the House this year if the Dems hold House, Senate, and White House. But it might not take too long to get to SCOTUS in some form because it's almost certain someone will file for an injunction against enforcement immediately, and that will work its way up quickly, even if an actual decision on constitutionality of the statute takes years.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    Hopefully Justice Breyer admits he's in the minority and retires. Trump can fill his seat next year. Second is looking stronger and stronger every day!

Justice Barrett will be better on the 2nd than Ginsburg was!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ

It was Barack Obama that stated he saw the Constitution as a "charter of negative rights" in that it unduly restricted the powers of the government. It was fear of attitudes like that the created a Constitution to restrict the powers of the government.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    The fact that folks in government are not held to the standard of being true to the Constitution is very disturbing.

Ever since they banned high capacity tar and feathers this has been the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom