• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hi,
    I know the term "brandishing" can mean different things in different jurisdictions.
    In Maryland, for instance, I believe any showing of a concealed firearm is termed brandishing.

Of course, these demonstrations, marches, mostly peaceful protests, riots - whatever term fits one's sensibilities have me asking the question.

So, in a constitutional-carry state, I assume brandishing a pistol would require the owner to have the open-carry pistol unholstered (or otherwise removed from concealed carried). Is that a fair assessment?

In the same environment, is there a difference between having an "assault weapon" strapped across one's chest, with the owner keeping it in place with his/her hand and brandishing? What additional "act" turns open carry into brandishing?

Brandishing is a curiosity to me. It would seem (in Maryland) many situations could be (temporarily, create enough time to retreat) defused by showing a pistol's handle carried IWB without drawing at all. Drawing a pistol would seem two steps above escalation of force if one would have to successfully claim self defense. The affirmative defense of self defense has a number of boxes that must be ticked in order to acquit. A highly summarized view: http://www.perettillc.com/2011/09/right-of-self-defense-for-assault-in-maryland/

Maryland (MOCO) is a funny place - county prosecutor charged my friend of first degree assault when another trucker was in the my friends truck-cab on top of my friend who was on his back bridged head and butt on passenger and driver's seat. He reached around, found a steering wheel lock, and used it to defend himself. DA said it was an unnecessary escalation of force, and that is why he was charged rather than the person invading his truck-cab. This "little episode" took both he and I over a year to sort out. Friends who can will put life on hold to help.

trunkmonkey

Jul 8, 2020
    Maryland issues Wear and Carry Permits, not Concealed Carry Permits. My understanding is that a person with a W&C Permit can carry open or concealed in MD. So I’d think brandishing would be based more on intent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Where it's legal to carry openly, it's the difference between it being possible for it to be seen, versus essentially saying, "See this?" as part of a confrontation. Yeah, all about intent - and that's a very subjective area. Lotta he-said, he-said sorta stuff in the absence of video or such.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Maryland does not have a law against "brandishing." What other states call "brandishing" would be a form of assault in Maryland.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Carrying a firearm exposed to the terrified public would bring an immediate charge of disturbing the peace, and an equally swift loss of one's carry permit.

In Maryland, the right of the criminal to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Law-abiding citizens will not fare so well.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Brandishing:
    brandish something to hold or wave something, especially a weapon, in an aggressive or excited way.
    https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/brandish

Often misused... but the fact is that simply carrying or having a weapon exposed... is not “brandishing” said weapon.

The act of aggression or excited presentation is required to cause the charge to fit the situation.

The real difficulty is in the propensity for the Cucks and Karens to claim they were threatened by the mere presence of the weapon. Touching the holstered weapon while in public... is not brandishing... UNLESS it is accompanied with any other verbal or non verbal action which is intended to threaten another person.

Be smart. Never make unnecessary movements or utterance which can be perceived as a threat, while carrying a weapon.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Not sure Maryland has a specific law against "brandishing", but I believe it would just be a straight First Degree Assault charge if the gun was intentionally displayed to intentionally frighten another person with the threat of immediate physical harm. I haven't seen the Jury Instructions for a First Degree Assault in a while, but the verbiage should read something along those lines.

Now, when you are using a gun in self defense you are 100% pulling that gun out and attempting to frighten a would-be attacker with the threat of immediate physical harm, thus hoping that the attacker reconsiders. I'm sure there is case law somewhere on the books, but this being Maryland, especially Monkey County, I would be hesitant to find out.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I agree. Your Duty to retreat makes sense - just back up and get away.
    Don't fall into a trap. If you can retreat / get away, do it.
    NOTHING good comes if you escalate.

Some Illegal SPIT IN MY FACE when he cut in front of a woman getting gas in '10 during the derecho.
    I told the Illegal he cut in front of the woman, and he got Irate!! It really wasn't my fight -
    I SHOULD HAVE SHUT UP! But I knew the woman owner of Marchone's in Wheaton,
    and felt I should speak up. I stick up for my peeps. HE SPIT AT ME!!
    So I jumped out of the van and shoved my 5-IN-one painting tool in his throat!

(wait, no I didn't.)
    More often than not, discretion is the better part of valor.

I DID call the cops, but cell phone service was OUT! That was a rough week.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Not sure Maryland has a specific law against "brandishing", but I believe it would just be a straight First Degree Assault charge if the gun was intentionally displayed to intentionally frighten another person with the threat of immediate physical harm. I haven't seen the Jury Instructions for a First Degree Assault in a while, but the verbiage should read something along those lines.

Now, when you are using a gun in self defense you are 100% pulling that gun out and attempting to frighten a would-be attacker with the threat of immediate physical harm, thus hoping that the attacker reconsiders. I'm sure there is case law somewhere on the books, but this being Maryland, especially Monkey County, I would be hesitant to find out.

The act of brandishing a weapon in the state of Maryland would be covered under https://govt.westlaw.com/mdc/Docume...Type=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)
    as a felony - aggravated assault by threat. Again... the action or act of threatening is a necessary component of the situation. Whether by intention or by negligent display, such as waving the weapon around in a manner which displays disregard for the hazard to others. Threatening or menacing the other party must be established by witness or evidence to sustain the charge.

In the end... a person, lawfully carrying a weapon, is duty bound to exercise all due care, caution, and responsibility to insure that they do not place others in any legitimate fear for their life or physical well-being.

For the purpose of self defense... one must remember this and ALWAYS be certain that their weapon is there for that purpose only. IF a display, in self defense, stops an attack... then the self defense situation will justify the need. However... “Showing it as a warning/power trip”, when there is no reason otherwise... is a fools folly. I’ve seen actual cases of “intentional printing to let others know I’m a armed badass.” And... “Oops, did it slip out from under my shirt” accidentally on purpose, as well. It was not worth it.

And on top of the legal issues... IF the bad guys know that you’re armed... then they will know to disarm or disable you FIRST... before they do what they came there to do.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    “In the end... a person, lawfully carrying a weapon, is duty bound to exercise all due care, caution, and responsibility to insure that they do not place others in any legitimate fear for their life or physical well-being. “

That’s a great paragraph, can I use it in my classes?

TD

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    The act of brandishing a weapon in the state of Maryland would be covered under https://govt.westlaw.com/mdc/Docume...Type=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)
    as a felony - aggravated assault by threat. Again... the action or act of threatening is a necessary component of the situation. Whether by intention or by negligent display, such as waving the weapon around in a manner which displays disregard for the hazard to others. Threatening or menacing the other party must be established by witness or evidence to sustain the charge.

In the end... a person, lawfully carrying a weapon, is duty bound to exercise all due care, caution, and responsibility to insure that they do not place others in any legitimate fear for their life or physical well-being.

For the purpose of self defense... one must remember this and ALWAYS be certain that their weapon is there for that purpose only. IF a display, in self defense, stops an attack... then the self defense situation will justify the need. However... “Showing it as a warning/power trip”, when there is no reason otherwise... is a fools folly. I’ve seen actual cases of “intentional printing to let others know I’m a armed badass.” And... “Oops, did it slip out from under my shirt” accidentally on purpose, as well. It was not worth it.

And on top of the legal issues... IF the bad guys know that you’re armed... then they will know to disarm or disable you FIRST... before they do what they came there to do.

Serious question.
    So, if the rioters/protesters come down my street and I am sitting on my porch, behind a fence, with a rifle in my lap, is that aggravated assault by threat? How about if I let the GSDs out in the front yard and they are growling and barking?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Hi,
    I know the term "brandishing" can mean different things in different jurisdictions.
    In Maryland, for instance, I believe any showing of a concealed firearm is termed brandishing.

Oxymoron alert.

Maryland (MOCO) is a funny place - county prosecutor charged my friend of first degree assault when another trucker was in the my friends truck-cab on top of my friend who was on his back bridged head and butt on passenger and driver's seat. He reached around, found a steering wheel lock, and used it to defend himself. DA said it was an unnecessary escalation of force, and that is why he was charged rather than the person invading his truck-cab. This "little episode" took both he and I over a year to sort out. Friends who can will put life on hold to help.

What kind of truck cab? In some cases a truck cab is going to be your dwelling.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Hi,

Of course, these demonstrations, marches, mostly peaceful protests, riots - whatever term fits one's sensibilities have me asking the question.

So, in a constitutional-carry state, I assume brandishing a pistol would require the owner to have the open-carry pistol unholstered (or otherwise removed from concealed carried). Is that a fair assessment?

In the same environment, is there a difference between having an "assault weapon" strapped across one's chest, with the owner keeping it in place with his/her hand and brandishing? What additional "act" turns open carry into brandishing?

Brandishing is a curiosity to me. It would seem (in Maryland) many situations could be (temporarily, create enough time to retreat) defused by showing a pistol's handle carried IWB without drawing at all. Drawing a pistol would seem two steps above escalation of force if one would have to successfully claim self defense. The affirmative defense of self defense has a number of boxes that must be ticked in order to acquit. A highly summarized view: http://www.perettillc.com/2011/09/right-of-self-defense-for-assault-in-maryland/

The most foolish words.......

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Serious question.
    So, if the rioters/protesters come down my street and I am sitting on my porch, behind a fence, with a rifle in my lap, is that aggravated assault by threat? How about if I let the GSDs out in the front yard and they are growling and barking?

How many rioters will be available afterwards to testify that they felt threatened by your behavior? :innocent0

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Serious question.

If you are sitting on your porch with your rifle or or pistol on your lap and it is not pointed in the direction of of a person or property you are OK. In MD you can legally open carry on your own property. If you have a pistol keep it in your holster don't go waving it around you will go to jail. If you carry a rifle shoulder it or point it to the ground.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    “In the end... a person, lawfully carrying a weapon, is duty bound to exercise all due care, caution, and responsibility to insure that they do not place others in any legitimate fear for their life or physical well-being. “

That’s a great paragraph, can I use it in my classes?

TD

Yes...

And I hope it helps. :thumbsup:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Serious question.

If you are sitting there pointing it at them? Yes.
    Merely holding it in a safe non threatening manner? No.

The question would be the perception of the viewer. Can they articulate any threat from your actions? If yes... then there may be issues for you in court.

It is best that any defense which you may possess... is held out of sight until such time as it it’s absolutely necessary. And even then... you will need to be able to articulate the fact that you were in fear for your life or that great bodily harm would come to you... if you failed to present a defense against it.

Brazen display of fire power is not necessarily a wise move. Especially in the gulag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom