Starting to plan my escape to WV...how's Martinsburg?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Sorry, but you couldn't pay me enough to settle down in Berkley Springs. It's become a go-to for the DC weekender crowd looking to get out of town for a few days. It's going the way of Wardensville where all the "From Heres" are being pushed out by the "Moved Here" crowd which are bringing their liberal bad habits with them.

Capon Bridge can be nice enough. The surrounding area is obviously beautiful, but way more land than you realize up that way has been sub-divided for vacation lots. Add in the proximity to Winchester and you're going to see sprawl begin to reach out that way. Maybe not now, maybe not 10 years from now, but within the next 25 or so, I suspect you'll see a lot of artsy-fartsy NoVA liberals making it their summer home or retirement place.

If it were me, and I wanted to retire to WV and get the hell away from folks, I'd go to the eastern highland (Tucker County, Randolph County, Pocahontas County) and make sure to stay above 3000 feet so that I'd rarely have to run the A/C. I know that doesn't fit your bill of staying close to your group, but man is it nice.

If you like Capon Bridge, look at Forks of Cacapon, North River Mills, and Yellow Springs areas as well. If you think you can swing the extra mileage, give Romney a shot. More insulated from the NoVA and MoCo interlopers while providing plenty of amenities and fantastic fishing on the south branch Potomac.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Well, as I said, I'm not looking for a lot of land. I've lived in condos and townhouses for 30 years, it doesn't trouble me. I just want to be able to live without worrying about what the state legislature will try to do to me every year.

And being a lot closer to what is effectively my extended family (the N-SSA membership) is appealing.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    We just bought a place outside of Martinsburg, between there and Shepardstown.... close enough to Fredneck and Hagerstown for my son's hockey, right on the fiance's route... a little too close to morons for my taste, but it gets me out of MD...

We looked everywhere... Gerradstown was my favorite area... but, like others have said, metro-idiots are moving out too and paying what the homeowner is asking.... good for the homeowner, bad for peons like me...

Good luck on your home search...

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    We just bought a place outside of Martinsburg, between there and Shepardstown.... close enough to Fredneck and Hagerstown for my son's hockey, right on the fiance's route... a little too close to morons for my taste, but it gets me out of MD...

We looked everywhere... Gerradstown was my favorite area... but, like others have said, metro-idiots are moving out too and paying what the homeowner is asking.... good for the homeowner, bad for peons like me...

Good luck on your home search...
    Up next is a WV driver's license and carry permit. Go to the Ranson/Kearnysville MVA on route 9. Kinda small, but I was in and out on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving in 2018, in 30 minutes with my WV license.

Check out DNA Guns in Bunker Hill for transfers of all your Silencer Shop stuff. They don't really have shop inventory for sale, since they are primarily in the rental business, but the levers abs employees are good people. They rebuilt a messed up AMD-65 for me with no issues. Once I get my hands on a billet Yugo underfolder AK reciever from Tortort, I'll let them put it together for me.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    There’s no permit in WV- Constitutional Carry since 2016 for residents and non-residents.
    You want to try that again?

https://ago.wv.gov/gunreciprocity/Pages/default.aspx
    https://ago.wv.gov/gunreciprocity/Pages/FAQ.aspx

Let's also go with NICS Exemption with a valid WV resident carry permit for 1000, Alex.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart

As you can see, there is in fact a valid reason to get a WV resident carry permit and WV does offer a carry permit to residents only.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    You want to try that again?

https://ago.wv.gov/gunreciprocity/Pages/default.aspx
    https://ago.wv.gov/gunreciprocity/Pages/FAQ.aspx

Let's also go with NICS Exemption with a valid WV resident carry permit for 1000, Alex.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart

As you can see, there is in fact a valid reason to get a WV resident carry permit and WV does offer a carry permit to residents only.

Exactly. You don't NEED a permit, but it IS available and it is very wise to get one thanks to all the benefits it offers.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I think the guy I replied to was under the assumption that a WV carry permit no longer existed because they passed con carry.

Ok I see they still issue a permit, and while I get the reciprocity piece for surrounding states, the NICS exemption doesn’t make any sense as a big selling point.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Ok I see they still issue a permit, and while I get the reciprocity piece for surrounding states, the NICS exemption doesn’t make any sense as a big selling point.
    Then you don't understand freedom, nor understand why a West Virginian would want to bypass NICS.

I'll make this easy for you. I went to get a AK and the guy said he'd need my driver's license. I replied with what about my carry permit. He responded with, his now I don't have to run you through NICS.

I was in and out in enough time for them to put their info down and me to do my info on the 4473.

No need to wait for NICS to clear you. No delays. No unexpected deny responses.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Then you don't understand freedom, nor understand why a West Virginian would want to bypass NICS.

I'll make this easy for you. I went to get a AK and the guy said he'd need my driver's license. I replied with what about my carry permit. He responded with, his now I don't have to run you through NICS.

I was in and out in enough time for them to put their info down and me to do my info on the 4473.

No need to wait for NICS to clear you. No delays. No unexpected deny responses.

Ok- I understand what you’re saying but don’t see that great of a benefit. The permit I’m sure isn’t free, and it’s essentially an open background check, much like those who have FFL’s, another way not to have to do an NICS check.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Ok- I understand what you’re saying but don’t see that great of a benefit. The permit I’m sure isn’t free, and it’s essentially an open background check, much like those who have FFL’s, another way not to have to do an NICS check.
    There is more to it than that. But after living in MD for 36 years, then escaping to WV has shown me how bad things really are in MD. Sadly I can understand why you are responding the way you are. I did the same thing, till I left and realized how much I had missed out on, due to the MGA and their games.

Leave MD forever and go to a free state and you'll begin to understand. It isn't easy to put in words that people can understand, what I feel, now that I'm not a MD resident. The only easy way to explain it is "freedom".

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Sorry, but you couldn't pay me enough to settle down in Berkley Springs. It's become a go-to for the DC weekender crowd looking to get out of town for a few days. It's going the way of Wardensville where all the "From Heres" are being pushed out by the "Moved Here" crowd which are bringing their liberal bad habits with them.

If it were me, and I wanted to retire to WV and get the hell away from folks, I'd go to the eastern highland (Tucker County, Randolph County, Pocahontas County) and make sure to stay above 3000 feet so that I'd rarely have to run the A/C. I know that doesn't fit your bill of staying close to your group, but man is it nice.

We are seeing the infiltration of the urban liberals even up here. They are buying plots all over the place as get away spots. My road, which used to be a sleepy unmarked two-lane road that you would see another vehicle on occasionally now has constant traffic. The china virus seems to be making the cockroaches scatter from the cities into the country.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    We are seeing the infiltration of the urban liberals even up here. They are buying plots all over the place as get away spots. My road, which used to be a sleepy unmarked two-lane road that you would see another vehicle on occasionally now has constant traffic. The china virus seems to be making the cockroaches scatter from the cities into the country.

Not surprising. It's only going to get worse with the hyperloop facility going in.

I'm always torn over wanting to see WV do well economically and thrive, and wanting to keep it that quiet and sleepy place that is the last real frontier space of the east.

This summer with the eastern part of the state being packed for the first time in decades (Smokehole was booked solid for every room for 3 straight months) thanks to COVID shutting everything else down in the vicinity, there were a lot of DC-region folks who "discovered" WV this year.

Lugnut#15

Jan 5, 2015
    Not far behind you bud. I've had my fill of being to close to city life. Need space, no HOA, and need to see more open land/green space.

Boards01

Jun 2, 2020
    Meh....Looked in WV for land and didn't really like what I saw. 40 ac. might get you 4 ac of useable land. Bought 20 in central Pa instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom