• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Well finished up a project I was working on for the past few years.

Found a 1903 SRS hit which was able to identify to the individual Marine. Ordered his service record from NARA. Was able to make contact with the Marine's daughter (unfortunately he passed away in 1996).

I left a message and she called me back and I asked her if she would be willing to write something down about her father. She asked what would she write? I told her to write whatever she wanted to tell.

I figured I'd post the rifle along with her letter and pictures. Sent a bunch of family photos as well as his USMC mementos.

Used it to help write an article in American Rifleman which she loved because served as a tribute to his memory.

She obviously spent more than 5 minutes on it. So helps paint a more personal story of the man who carried it.

Thought it was interesting so figured I'd share.

uNS74KOl.png

aHarSrLl.jpg

8wizqsYl.jpg

GE4ewOOl.jpg

8wizqsYl.jpg

SN1kbnol.jpg

54aUQJgl.png

vQmtjQ8l.jpg

XkHgUu9l.jpg

YuLdEdJl.jpg

YQ4o05dl.png

eJ0g4YSl.png

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    That's a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. I am sure it means more than we will ever know to his family who may have only remembered the difficult years, not the jaunty young Marine who risked everything for his country.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Oh forgot to add this. There was a hand written letter in his service record. Where he was trying to get back into the USMC for a second enlistment. He got accepted and became an engineer and likely was a sapper or used a flame thrower when he landed on Oki.

“Dear Sirs,

I am writing this letter to inquire of the discharge of Kyle Elmer Mills from the Marine Corps Reserve. Fifth Reserve District, Marine Barracks, Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth Va.

Just after my discharge in 1939, the going was rather tough + I changed jobs + addresses pretty often. And once I forgot to write my address in, then a letter came from Norfolk notifying me of the discharge. What I would like to find out is, if there is any way I can reenlist or be reinstated in the Marine Corps. Reserve?

I registered for selective service + have been employed at the Rustless Iron + Steel Corps, 3400 E. Chase Street Balt. Md for the past three years. I wanted to make it clear I am not trying to keep out of the service, on the contrary, I would like very much to be back in the Marine Corp.

I am now in class IIB, the company, doing 100% different work, I am on my third Department, the work is important but I certainly don’t claim to be indispensable. I have tried to enlist + volunteer for induction but they won’t take me unless I am in IA.

I would appreciate it very much if you will give me the information on the discharge + the possibility of my either reenlisting or being reinstated in the Marine Corps Reserve.

Respt-
    Kyle Elmer Mills
    236 E. 25th Street
    Baltimore Md.”

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Crazy - I was just looking around this morning thinking this is one thing that is lacking in my collection, even with one of the low numbers as a wall hanger.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    After collecting for decades I occasionally am overwhelmed by the amount of history I've gathered. Sadly most if it will be lost to time. But I do mull over just how many men have carried these firearms and all the stories that are attached to them. Mr Mills certainly lived an amazing and full life. And the end to his story reminds me of my Grandmother Katherine who also suffered the indignities of Alzheimer's Disease. If I was granted one wish to eradicate a disease this is the one I would pick, hands down.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    SEP,

Often times we hear about the Marine rifles with pipe wrench marks on the barrel.
    Do you know, or could you say if it is specific type or manufacturer for the tool that was used?

When the term pipe "wrench" is used, it almost makes it seem as if the barrel was turned vs held to get the two components apart.
    Was the tool more like a vise and the terminology used today just incorrectly applied?

Or was it something that wasn't really documented but was known to have been used and there were different types.

Thanks- Doco

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I agree with the compliments for the post. Outstanding piece of history. Great job. And I lived very near 25th Street!

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Semper Fi.

I have framed war map, with instructions on the back that should it no longer be wanted to offer it to the Marine Corps Museum, Gray Center, or other suitable institution. You might want to consider something similar.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. This probably took better part of 2-3 years of compiling the story. The daughter's letter is really what took it to the next level for me.

Another thing the daughter said to me is she once asked "dad did you kill anyone in the war." She said there was a look in his eyes and said "Becki it was a war." And she said she knew she should never ask it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom