• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vulcanrun

Feb 27, 2012
    Edgewater
    I have a couple of handguns and couple of long guns I need to sell.
    I assume selling long guns at shows is possible, and handguns to FFLs?

Is this an advisable thing to do, or anything I should be aware of?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Long guns could be sold face to face to another resident of your state. If you go to a PA gun shoe they'd have to go through a dealer if sold to a PA resident.

Handguns from Maryland resident to resident must be done through a dealer at the show. Handguns across state lines to another state resident would have to go through a dealer also.

If you're going to the show anyways it never hurts to sling it on your shoulder with a for sale sign. Or make contributing posts here til you hit 50 and sell here.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Long guns could be sold face to face to another resident of your state. If you go to a PA gun shoe they'd have to go through a dealer if sold to a PA resident.

Handguns from Maryland resident to resident must be done through a dealer at the show. Handguns across state lines to another state resident would have to go through a dealer also.

If you're going to the show anyways it never hurts to sling it on your shoulder with a for sale sign. Or make contributing posts here til you hit 50 and sell here.

Not entirely correct. If you want to sell them yourself, you can apply for a one time, temporary transfer permit from MSP. An individual is allowed up to 5 of these temporary permits per year.

Cite - 5-130 of the Public Safety Article.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    § 5-130. Gun shows

(a) "Gun show" defined. -- In this section, "gun show" means any organized gathering open to the public at which any firearm is displayed.

(b) Scope of section. -- Subsections (c) through (h) of this section do not apply to a licensee.

(c) Temporary transfer permit required. -- A person must obtain a temporary transfer permit issued by the Secretary before the person displays a regulated firearm for sale or transfer from a table or fixed display at a gun show.

(d) Application for temporary transfer permit. --
    (1) An applicant for a temporary transfer permit shall:
    (i) submit to the Secretary an application on the form that the Secretary provides; and

(ii) pay to the Secretary a fee of $ 10 for each calendar year.

(2) Each additional temporary transfer permit during the same calendar year shall be issued without charge.

(e) Required information. -- The application for a temporary transfer permit shall contain any information that is necessary for the Secretary to conduct a computer background investigation.

(f) Required warning. -- Each application for a temporary transfer permit shall contain the following statement: "Any false information supplied or statement made in this application is a crime which may be punished by imprisonment for a period of not more than 3 years or a fine not more than $ 5,000 or both.".
    (g) Investigation of application; grounds for disapproval. --
    (1) The Secretary shall conduct an investigation to determine the truth or falsity of the information supplied and the statements made in the application for a temporary transfer permit.

(2) If there is no reason to disapprove the application for a temporary transfer permit, the Secretary shall issue the permit within 7 days after the date of application.

(3) The Secretary shall disapprove an application for a temporary transfer permit if the Secretary determines that:
    (i) the applicant supplied false information or made a false statement; or

(ii) the application is not properly completed.

(4) If the Secretary disapproves an application for a temporary transfer permit, the Secretary shall notify the applicant in writing of the disapproval.

(h) Label and display. --
    (1) A temporary transfer permit shall be clearly labeled "temporary" and shall include the statement: "This is not a license to engage in the business of selling firearms.".

(2) The temporary transfer permit shall be placed in public view as part of any display of a regulated firearm.

(i) Five permit limit. --
    (1) A person may not receive more than five temporary transfer permits during a single calendar year.

(2) To display a regulated firearm for sale, trade, or transfer at more than five gun shows in a calendar year, a person shall obtain a dealer's license under this subtitle.

(j) Sale or transfer of regulated firearm. -- A sale or transfer of a regulated firearm from a table or fixed display at a gun show is governed by §§ 5-103, 5-104, 5-117 through 5-129, and 5-136 of this subtitle.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Not entirely correct. If you want to sell them yourself, you can apply for a one time, temporary transfer permit from MSP. An individual is allowed up to 5 of these temporary permits per year.

Cite - 5-130 of the Public Safety Article.

Thanks for the instruction. I didn't know that. Only ever carried long guns in to shows

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks for the instruction. I didn't know that. Only ever carried long guns in to shows

No worries, pretty much everyone in Maryland is abused by MSP into thinking dealer or MSP for a handgun transfer in Maryland. I found this one day while looking for something else for Delegate Smeigel when I worked for him.

fpmst930

Oct 21, 2019
    Rockville MD
    I have a couple of handguns and couple of long guns I need to sell.
    I assume selling long guns at shows is possible, and handguns to FFLs?

Is this an advisable thing to do, or anything I should be aware of?

You don't get good prices at the FFL dealers at the show. Better to just sling them with a for sale sign. Maybe make a board listing your handguns with it too. FFL dealers will usually low ball offers.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You don't get good prices at the FFL dealers at the show. Better to just sling them with a for sale sign. Maybe make a board listing your handguns with it too. FFL dealers will usually low ball offers.

For rifles and shotguns, that is fine. In the past, MSP has asked people for their regulated sales permit when at gun shows, even though they didn't have a table. If going to a show, get a table, pay for the temporary permit from MSP, and lay everything out on the table.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    For long guns, I put all of the gun's info, along with my price on a 3" X 5" card, taped to a straw that fits the barrel and walk around with it slung over my shoulder.
    I've never sold a pistol at a show.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You should check with the show's website to see what is allowed before you leave with your firearms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom