• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I spent the time for get the HQL and went out last Monday and bought a G17. They said you should be good next Monday. I let it slide yesterday and went in today. It could not be released because I did not get the "Not dis-approved" e-mail yet. What in the F is this all about? I have no criminal history and pass background checks for Govt. work all the time.

What is the HQL for if I can't get the weapon still, or have to wait to be back grounded again?

I have lived in MD my entire life and the wife is getting a job in WVA and I am really considering of taking all the trouble to remove myself and taxable income from this state.

can you personally check on the applications online yourself? I pulled up my registration for HQL and it doesn't show any here. https://emdsp.mdsp.org/

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    If it still says "Under Review at MSP", be patient. I've never had anything take more than 7 days unless it fell on a holiday, but with the gun grabbers in full force, delays may not be uncommon.

Have you checked the MSP portal? If not, I would log in and check.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    The dealer should have been clear that you should be good Monday, but watch for the email. Log into your account and see when the dealer actually submitted the 77r, it should also show your current status. Could be the dealer screwed something up or didn’t submit it right away. The emails typically come in around 6am.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    What do they mean by "Forwarded Date" They have that as 11/21 and I applied for it on 11/16. Does this mean the dealer screwed up and fixed it Saturday and not on Monday??

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    What do they mean by "Forwarded Date" They have that as 11/21 and I applied for it on 11/16

IIRC...."forwarded date" is the date that your FFL actually sent (forwarded) your 77R to the MSP. I'd be looking for your "Not Disapproved" e-mail on or around 11/28.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    IIRC...."forwarded date" is the date that your FFL actually sent (forwarded) your 77R to the MSP. I'd be looking for your "Not Disapproved" e-mail on or around 11/28.

Well, I called the "gun shop" and asked why there was a 5 day delay in the application being accepted by the state police. I was told "maybe with the holidays slowed something down"

I was not aware "the holidays" made servers take a 5 day vacation.

Is there really any reason we could submit an application on Monday and it not show up as submitted until Saturday? I am feeling like I am being feed a story by the store.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    "submitted to application pool" status is given to your 77r when you've filled things out on your end but haven't completed the process with the FFL. "Under Review at MSP" is that status it is given once your FFL submits the paperwork on their end and it should have this status until it is "not disapproved", typically 7 days later. Sometimes you will see "under secondary review" on the day leading up to the "not disapproved" status.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Well, I called the "gun shop" and asked why there was a 5 day delay in the application being accepted by the state police. I was told "maybe with the holidays slowed something down"

Is there really any reason we could submit an application on Monday and it not show up as submitted until Saturday? I am feeling like I am being feed a story by the store.

Either the shop screwed something up and had to fix it or they sat on it until then. No reason for it not to be forwarded the same day.

When I go in and buy something at my local FFL I walk in with a 77r ready to go, he fills in the info for the gun, takes my card and runs the $10 MDSP fee and submits it then. By the time I leave the store I have a receipt from him, a CC purchase notice from my CC company for both the gun and MDSP, and an email from the state police saying the payment was processed. By the time I get in the car it’s updated in their system.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

It's anyone's guess. The FFL could very well be being honest with you. A few day delay is frustrating but not worth pointing fingers.

There are more than a few instances where MSP has dropped the ball, especially when you consider we are in an election year, experiencing civil unrest, a global pandemic, election unrest, and 2A uncertainty as we potentially move to a democratic presidency...

The above poster (RuralRifleGuy) makes a good point. If you submitted the $10 electronic payment to MSP, then that is an indication that your application has indeed been submitted. If that is the case, the issue almost certainly lay with MSP and not the FFL.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    So when I fill out the 77R on the computer there is still more they have to do after I paid for it? The guy did stuff there and said it was "All done"

So it was not and they got pinged they didn't do it correctly and resubmitted on the Saturday the 21st?

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    So when I fill out the 77R on the computer there is still more they have to do after I paid for it? The guy did stuff there and said it was "All done"

So it was not and they got pinged they didn't do it correctly and resubmitted on the Saturday the 21st?

When you fill out the 77r on your end, you receive an email with an application number and pin. This is what the FFL will use to look up the application and complete/submit it.

You still must pay the $10 and electronically sign the document. Many FFL's will also have you fill out and sign a paper version of the form.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I spent the time for get the HQL and went out last Monday and bought a G17. They said you should be good next Monday. I let it slide yesterday and went in today. It could not be released because I did not get the "Not dis-approved" e-mail yet. What in the F is this all about? I have no criminal history and pass background checks for Govt. work all the time.

What is the HQL for if I can't get the weapon still, or have to wait to be back grounded again?

I have lived in MD my entire life and the wife is getting a job in WVA and I am really considering of taking all the trouble to remove myself and taxable income from this state.

can you personally check on the applications online yourself? I pulled up my registration for HQL and it doesn't show any here. https://emdsp.mdsp.org/

The HQL is a costly hurdle and designed as a hinderance to handgun purchases. The same checks that are performed processing your HQL application are performed each time you purchase an handgun. Redundant? Yes. Inefficient? Yes. Unconstitutional? Yes.

Taco

Jan 23, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It sounds like I'm not the only one with a delay. Today is the 8th day after my application was forwarded to MSP (sent Nov. 20) and it still says under review. Ugh. I guess there was a holiday during my "7"-day waiting period, but that doesn't make any sense why that would delay the approval. Such bs.

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    It sounds like I'm not the only one with a delay. Today is the 8th day after my application was forwarded to MSP (sent Nov. 20) and it still says under review. Ugh. I guess there was a holiday during my "7"-day waiting period, but that doesn't make any sense why that would delay the approval. Such bs.

Check your status online and make sure FFL did file it the same day.

jokie

May 27, 2020
    A in AA
    I appreciate the tip. I checked the application online and it was filed same day.

I had a similar experience with a purchase I made last June. I sent them an email on the 7th day and got a reply the next day saying there was a "catastrophic hardware failure" and that they are working 24 hours to fix it. I just waited for the "Not Disapproved" email and got it on the 9th day. May be totally unrelated to your case.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I was a little P.O.‘d when I looked up the 77r I did last Saturday after not getting my email this morning, saw that the FFL didn’t submit it until Wednesday, 4 days later. That can happen too I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom