• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    This has been discussed before. America is not the land of needs. If you want one get it because you want one. Make up your own mind

No foolin'?

I think it was pretty obvious an attempt to let the pro suppressor crowd convince me. At no point did I give sovereignty of my credit card over to anyone to make the decision for me.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i got a can a couple of years back for my .22 bolt gun (also can be used on my 10/22 as that barrel is also threaded). lets me shoot with zero hearing protection and it's nowhere close to being loud enough to need earpro.

i also just ordered a can for a recent 6.5 creed deer hunting rifle. really more to not piss off the neighbors (too much...) as i'm sure i will still need/want earpro when shooting this.

i have a brake on my 300 wsm and yeah it's loud as crap, but i just throw on earpro (elec muffs) when hunting with it and no big deal. WAY cheaper than a can, transfer costs, atf stamp.

Kabookie

Jun 21, 2015
    Pasadena, MD
    Do ya need a suppressor for a 5.56 home defense rifle?...Nope
    What does a suppressor add to your life?...Comfort

Get a suppressor. Whether you shoot at an indoor range or if you make a day of it out doors it is always nice to have for long periods of continuous shooting.

As for home defense...how many rounds do you intend on letting off inside your home? Enough to end the threat...30 round dump...reloads? One never knows but the more that go off the more damage to property and potential damage to loved ones. I think your ears are going to be the last of your concern.

Home defense for me...unsuppressed with a light. I want that BANG to let everyone in the house and all my neighbors to know that there is a problem and that they need to react. Additionally I want that BANG to scare off, stun or freeze a threat long enough for me to get a better continuing shot on target. Keep in mind if it is a 5.56 "Rifle", that extra length may impede your movement in your home.

IMHO...Get a suppressor, take it for a ride and have fun with it, do a few dry fire exercises in your house and decide what is best for you.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I live on 20 ac zoned AG, I can legally shoot on it. But I have a new neighborhood with neighbors who I get along with and we respect each other.
    Shooting .22 CeeBee is no problem, but anything more is to much noise IMO.
    Looking into a .22 can as I have multiple threaded .22 long guns and pistols.

This. I am on 4.4 acres. I’ve got groundhog issues and fox that try to get in to my coop occasionally. Neighbors are okay with me whacking varmints and deer hunting with a bow.

I don’t need to “rub it in their face” when I am shooting a groundhog or what not. So I’ve been using quiets. Finally got a can. Subs sure are a lot more effective.

As someone up thread said, I am
    Moving towards a suppressor for any gun that isn’t being used (or planned to be used) exclusively on a range. Waiting on my Omega 300 for my .308 and 6.5G for hunting. I plan to get a .45 cal suppressor for handguns and also for lever guns for straight wall hunting (don’t have a lever gun. Yet).

At some point I am looking to get 20-30 acres out in Washington county or points west (maybe northern Frederick). Even if I CAN shoot on my property unsuppressed I’ll probably only shoot suppressed on it. Yeah, sure, the neighbors might love it. But that’s a bit like saying the neighbors might love listening to my rock music as I blast it at 11.

They might not mind it at 4 in the afternoon, but on the other hand, they might also rather not hear it (or not be as loud).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Get a suppressor. Whether you shoot at an indoor range or if you make a day of it out doors it is always nice to have for long periods of continuous shooting.

As for home defense...how many rounds do you intend on letting off inside your home? Enough to end the threat...30 round dump...reloads? One never knows but the more that go off the more damage to property and potential damage to loved ones. I think your ears are going to be the last of your concern.

Home defense for me...unsuppressed with a light. I want that BANG to let everyone in the house and all my neighbors to know that there is a problem and that they need to react. Additionally I want that BANG to scare off, stun or freeze a threat long enough for me to get a better continuing shot on target. Keep in mind if it is a 5.56 "Rifle", that extra length may impede your movement in your home.

IMHO...Get a suppressor, take it for a ride and have fun with it, do a few dry fire exercises in your house and decide what is best for you.

A suppressed supersonic 5.56 in a house and everyone damn well knows a gun shot was touched off. Extremely loud vs deafening. Either is gonna wake anyone up. You might not alert neighbors if not in a townhouse or apartment. That’s about it.

And if you are taking a mag dump, you will have significant hearing loss after that. Is it my
    First worry? Well heck no. That’s what preventative measures up front are for.

It is disorienting to you. Which makes YOU less effective.

Additionally the muzzle blast is possibly causing damage too. Again, low on my worry list. But if I am blasting things in to the air with the muzzle blast that’s too close to something, also probably distracting me and making it hard to see.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Why? Because you will smile from ear to ear every time you shoot a suppressed weapon. Quieter, more enjoyable, less recoil.

What’s not to like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

With all due respect, statements like this grind my gears to no end. I'll file this with the "just wait until they hear the sound of me racking my shotgun" types...

5.56 suppressed is by no means quiet. I've tested my set up without ear pro in an open field and it still hurt my ears, but was manageable.

You should care about your hearing. And if you have a decent gun collection, chances are you can afford a suppressor in your lineup.

I could continue to comment on other things you said but frankly this is hurting my brain.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I picked up mine today (Rugged Radiant) and went from the FFL straight to the range. What a blast!! It is worth it. And the cherry on top is prices have stayed the same even with COVID. Even better, get an SBR as a suppressor host. Mine has a 10.5" barrel. It ran perfectly. I used brass and cheap steel ammo. No issues. :party29:

Attachments

• IMG_1045.jpg
      IMG_1045.jpg
      84.6 KB · Views: 243
    Last edited:

Oh3

Jan 2, 2016
    Carroll Co
    I don’t remember using hearing protection training in the marines in our combat cities but then again, they we used blanks and they had open windows. I do have hearing loss though so there’s that.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I don’t remember using hearing protection training in the marines in our combat cities but then again, they we used blanks and they had open windows. I do have hearing loss though so there’s that.

The MOUT town at Pendelton was really good training

Amazingly well made simulation area. I remember watching the Hollywood boots marching up Mount Motherf----- next to it and thinking "Man that has to suck"

I also never used hearing protection for those drills. But like you say...there were no windows in the windows. Just openings. I don't have any hearing loss as a result. But I also didn't do those drills regularly.

Last edited:

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD

I also shot hundreds and hundreds of blanks with no hearing protection and have hearing loss and tinnitus... “they are only blanks”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom