• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I see a sheet-load of turkeys at one of the areas I deer hunt every year. This year I'm going to get one or two. We have huge flocks of hens running all over the place. I want to try to call in toms with my scratch call.

I looked at a Savage/ Stevens 320 Field Grade shotgun tonight at Wally Mart. The kid showing it to me didn't know anything about it but it's recommended by one of the hunting magazines so I think I'll get one. I have a Mossberg 12 gauge but would rather use a 20 gauge. Thoughts?

Recommend some ammo to me as well.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    When I was deer hunting , I'd see Squirrels, when I'd squirrel hunt, I'd see Turkeys, When I turkey Hunt I'd see a 12lb bass in a tree

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    When I was deer hunting , I'd see Squirrels, when I'd squirrel hunt, I'd see Turkeys, When I turkey Hunt I'd see a 12lb bass in a tree

I laughed at this more than I should have. My wife often questions if I'm really hunting\fishing when I get home empty handed. She thinks I just go sit in my car and listen to the radio for some peace and quiet. I'm really just sitting in the woods for peace and quiet.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Maryland seasons are only 1st week Nov, couple days in Jan and one month mid April to Mid May. So they should not be openly admitting to turkey hunting, if they are.

I hunt in Nebraska and the archery and shotgun season there is until Jan. 21, 2021 but the season on the rez I hunt may be different. I'll have to check and get a permit ASAP.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    [QUOTE.....My wife often questions if I'm really hunting\fishing when I get home empty handed. She thinks I just go sit in my car and listen to the radio for some peace and quiet. I'm really just sitting in the woods for peace and quiet.[/QUOTE]

I'm sort of the same. :thumbsup: I've gone hunting for Moose, Buffaloe, Bigfoot, Isis, and other things in our two acre back woods ;)....often with a P-14 (for which I only have 7 rounds of ammo), sometimes a pump shotgun with birdshot, or even a Black "Weapon of War." Never saw anything of the like and didn't expect to, but still found some peace and contentment in the solitude and hefting the weapon. :innocent0

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Anyone thinking of a good road trip for turkey hunting should come to the rez here in Nebraska. One day a couple of years ago I was sitting on the bottom of a saddle and heard turkeys behind me. It was a flock of hens heading to the other side of the ravine for some reason. I watched them as they passed me and lost count at 150 marching by in single file. Lots of toms around too but they keep out of sight.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Anyone thinking of a good road trip for turkey hunting should come to the rez here in Nebraska. One day a couple of years ago I was sitting on the bottom of a saddle and heard turkeys behind me. It was a flock of hens heading to the other side of the ravine for some reason. I watched them as they passed me and lost count at 150 marching by in single file. Lots of toms around too but they keep out of sight.

From left side to right side of photo, about 50 turkeys... didn't even have to leave the driveway

Attachments

• ECCB0824-96FB-4C18-AE89-255A13A829D0.jpg
      ECCB0824-96FB-4C18-AE89-255A13A829D0.jpg
      127.7 KB · Views: 97

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    [QUOTE.....My wife often questions if I'm really hunting\fishing when I get home empty handed. She thinks I just go sit in my car and listen to the radio for some peace and quiet. I'm really just sitting in the woods for peace and quiet.

I'm sort of the same. :thumbsup: I've gone hunting for Moose, Buffaloe, Bigfoot, Isis, and other things in our two acre back woods ;)....often with a P-14 (for which I only have 7 rounds of ammo), sometimes a pump shotgun with birdshot, or even a Black "Weapon of War." Never saw anything of the like and didn't expect to, but still found some peace and contentment in the solitude and hefting the weapon. :innocent0[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I just want to go hike a few miles with a rifle in my hands or on my shoulder and take a nap under a tree where no one is going to bother me. When I REALLY want something, I'll just throw up my blind in my side yard, go sit half an hour before dawn and shoot a doe with my crossbow by 9, haul it to the butcher and call it a season.

Okay, I can never actually just call it a season, I've gotta go do "real hunting" too.

But my wife sure as heck sometimes doesn't understand why I have to "go hunting" when I can basically just shoot does out of my garage window if I wanted.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    From left side to right side of photo, about 50 turkeys... didn't even have to leave the driveway

Well dang. So far I've seen Turkeys on my property one time. 3 hens that strutted by this past spring (been in this house 20 months now) I've seen them on the pipeline and in the park nearby a fair amount. Never saw that at my old house elsewhere in the neighborhood, but that house was much closer to the highway as well as only 1 acre surrounded by 1 acre house (on 4.4 now, with a nice creek and a lot of woods with bigger properties surrounding mine).

I do hear my neighbor's turkey's all the time (they've got, I dunno, maybe half a dozen turkeys, a couple are gobblers, some ducks, some geese, a few chickens, some goats, at least 3-4 cars and trucks up on blocks, a rusted out car not on blocks, half a junk yard in their backyard and at least a DV call a month. At least they are diagonal to my property and we don't technically share a boarder. Plus 200+ yds of woods and a nice bamboo thicket between use, so I can't see most of the junkyard).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom