• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Took my gun for a walk and a ride up to the tree stand and didn’t see a damned thing. Pretty frustrating not seeing anything.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    What did you go with? I’ve been thinking this would be a fun project with one of my spare lowers for next year.

Not your “op” - but I put on a CMMG complete upper. Accuracy is good, but I have suffered some FTF (round stuck 1/2” OOB). During initial sight in I had four OOB ignitions resulting in belted cases being created (which I am still confused with the “how” in an AR platform). Since then twice as many rounds and no more but I am having feed issues. Going to give it a clean and lube and see how it goes. It has a chineseum buffer in there currently so I’ll probably swap that for a Tubbs flatwire too.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    What did you go with? I’ve been thinking this would be a fun project with one of my spare lowers for next year.

Midway has 16" M4 profile barrels for $140, upper + 10" handguards for $100 on sale (probably won't last long), you'll need all the tools plus a gas block, carbine gas tube, etc.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I saw a good buck chasing a doe on my way to the farm I hunt in the morning. I sat from 6-5 and seen 8 cardinals, 4 blue jays a dozen squirrels and finally saw 2 does at 4:30. Heard 4 shots before legal time and just over 100 shots on the day. Surprising most shots were single shots, typically in my area they shoot 3-4 times at a time. I was setup near a creek in a thicket and my dad was setup on same farm at the edge of a cut corn field. He saw 1 doe in the morning and the same 2 does came past him in the evening, but didn't get a shot. I talked to a few other hunters and most didn't see much, but a few seen alot. Seems like the deer are concentrated in certain areas.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'm of the mind that firearms season gets too late of a start in MD, especially this year. I feel like opening day should have been Saturday the 21st and then have it run through December 5th. 2 weeks and 1 day that gets us more of the end of the rut combined with the ability of many to take off the whole week to hunt and do Thanksgiving without burning a ton of vacation. That's similar to how it runs in WV.

Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    I saw a good buck chasing a doe on my way to the farm I hunt in the morning. I sat from 6-5 and seen 8 cardinals, 4 blue jays a dozen squirrels and finally saw 2 does at 4:30. Heard 4 shots before legal time and just over 100 shots on the day. Surprising most shots were single shots, typically in my area they shoot 3-4 times at a time. I was setup near a creek in a thicket and my dad was setup on same farm at the edge of a cut corn field. He saw 1 doe in the morning and the same 2 does came past him in the evening, but didn't get a shot. I talked to a few other hunters and most didn't see much, but a few seen alot. Seems like the deer are concentrated in certain areas.

Been hunting for 30 years and I've never sat all day for a hunt. Kudos to you for being able to do it. Growing up we always hunted the morning and came out and then went back for the evening. Through the years I never worked on the patience to sit all day. Most stands I hunted didn't have the comfort to sit all day anyway. I totally understand the peace and tranquillity of being in the woods all day, just something I've never done.

I got mine with less than 5 minutes of hunting time left Saturday. I was actually walking back to the truck. Crossing the field I saw her grazing about 70 yards away with her head down..and the 220 did it's job.

Attachments

• 20201128_180854.jpg
      20201128_180854.jpg
      85.4 KB · Views: 175
    I'm of the mind that firearms season gets too late of a start in MD, especially this year. I feel like opening day should have been Saturday the 21st and then have it run through December 5th. 2 weeks and 1 day that gets us more of the end of the rut combined with the ability of many to take off the whole week to hunt and do Thanksgiving without burning a ton of vacation. That's similar to how it runs in WV.

I've said this for years that gunhunters should get a portion of the rut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom