Two "Automatic Rifles" at the AGC MDTCA Shoot. Semi not the only option.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I thought it was cool to get to see two of 3 WWI Automatic rifles at the AGC a few weekends ago.

One is the most manufactured MG of WWI, with total production being around 262,000. The other only 52,000 made during WWI.

If you had to choose one in 1916 or 1917... there would only be one option!

Most Americans don't realize that there is a difference between the 1915 Chauchat pictured here in 8mm Lebel and the 1918 version produced for the AEF which had an undersized chamber leading to lots of jams. So both guns get grouped together rather unfairly. Also most American's don't realize that the guns basic action system was invented by John Browning for the Auto 5 Shotgun and Remington Model 8 rifle. So just remember the next time you hear someone beating up the Chauchat, they are beating up a Browning design.

The Chauchat still has dewat damage right now but I hope to have it running around Christmas time... then we will see then how it stacks up again the BAR. :D

IMG_20191005_180027802.jpg

IMG_20191005_180135612.jpg

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    :thumbsup: Wish I could see them in person.

Its a bit of a drive for you but you are welcome to come up and see them one day.

Please add a Lewis Gun to the group!

Lewis gun is a Light MG, not an Automatic Rifle. That said, I hear we may be seeing one at the AGC in not to long. We already have several MG08/15s but we could sure use some more WWI MGs. I bid 2 Hotchkiss 1914s in the last week's auctions but did not win them.

Its interesting because the BAR 1918a2 was converted into a Light MG so most think of the BAR as a Light MG... however I think of it more as an early Assault rifle. It was designed to be shot on the move, not like a Light MG. I think the legacy of the Chauchat and 1918 BAR really is the MP44, FAL, G3 and M14. Guns designed to be shot on the move not squad level support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom