• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madmax7774

Nov 17, 2016
    Clarksburg
    I wanted to give real-world feedback, and an initial range-report on my recently Built Omega OM9FS MP5 "Pistol". I have always wanted an MP5, and have been looking around for the last several years trying to figure out how to get one in Maryland. Doing lots of reading and web searching, led me to the conclusion that getting my hands an actual HK MP5 was going to be very difficult and very expensive to accomplish. At the time I started searching for a clone, the choices didn't look promising. Manufacturers like POF, Coharie, and others had a lot of mixed reviews online, and it seemed like luck of the draw with these clones. The last thing I wanted was an expensive lemon that was always jamming. Several months ago, I happened across a Youtube video from Atlantic Firearms about the Omega line of clones. It was interesting to watch, and caught my attention. Further web sleuthing about Omega didn't turn up a ton of feedback about quality, but what little I could find seemed to be promising. Deciding to throw caution to the wind, I bought the barreled upper and decided to build the lower myself. Using original HK parts from HKParts.net, I was able to complete the build.

Build Components:
    Omega OM9FSBU Upper - $1450
    HK MP5 match trigger Pack - $220
    HK SEF Housing - $140
    HK Long Axle Selector level - $38
    SBT5 Folding pistol Brace - $200
    Sig Sauer Romeo 3 Red dot - $400
    Total Investment: roughly $2450 after transfer fees and shipping costs

I lucked out with magazines, because I bought 5 new Original HK mp5 30 round steel magazines several years ago when I still lived in Virginia, and was able to bring then with to Maryland before the stupidity ban went into effect. They can be found here.:rolleyes:

Assembling the gun was a non-event, and really the only thing you need to know, is if your MP5 clone is "clipped and pinned", or "push pin housing". For an excellent explanation on that, read this article. The omega OM9FS upper is "clipped and pinned", so I purchased compatible parts for that style. Most of the online reviews I could find about mp5 clones had a lot to say about using original HK magazines, versus cheaper clone magazines. All of my shooting to date has been through the original HK steel mags mentioned above.

So as to the fit and finish of the Omega OM9FS, I have to say that its top notch. It really exceeded my expectations. It looks fantastic, the welds on the receiver are extremely well done, and the finish on the receiver is excellent. The HK parts I purchased to assemble the pistol fit easily with no clearance issues. So to answer the big question, did it run reliably? THe answer is a resounding Hell Yes! I ran 250 rounds of the absolute worst garbage ammo (Tula), because that's what I happened to have on hand. It chewed through them all with zero issues. I did have 1 round that failed to fire, but upon inspection, it looks like it was a dud (had a primer strike mark, but did not fire). Other than that, no jamming, feeding, or cycling issues at all. The part about this pistol that really excites me: the recoil. If you have never shot an MP5, you are missing out. the recoil is so light and soft, that it really almost like shooting a .22! I can see why special forces types would love this weapon. It is probably the most controllable firearm that I own. One intersting thing, was that the weapon was sighted in already at 25 meters. Not sure if that was set by the manufacturer, or just blind luck. As for the Romeo red-dot, I chose to use the riser provided with the red-dot, as it raised it above the built in MP5 sights, and allowed for them to be used, or the red-dot.

Overall, I am extremely happy with this firearm, and also pleasantly surprised so far with the overall quality. I will add to this post once I get some rounds through it, to see how it holds up. Bottom line, I definitely recommend the Omega 9 if you are looking for an MP5.

Attachments

• mp5-1.jpg
      mp5-1.jpg
      109.4 KB · Views: 1,759
    • mp5-2.jpg
      mp5-2.jpg
      125.1 KB · Views: 1,686
    • mp5-3.jpg
      mp5-3.jpg
      94.7 KB · Views: 1,672
    • mp5-4.jpg
      mp5-4.jpg
      102.7 KB · Views: 1,847
    • mp5-5.jpg
      mp5-5.jpg
      91.7 KB · Views: 1,683

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks for the review. I almost licked up an Omega but got a great deal on a Zentih Z5P and it runs like a champ.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    good review. very sexy gun :D

I got a good deal on a POF 5 and it runs great. I was a little nervous about going the assembly route since MP5s are not like ARs. ICYI Midwest industries makes a fantastic handguard for the MP5.

So, school me on assembling the MP5. Which is the serialized part that requires the 77r? The upper or the SEF housing? I keep looking at the 10mm Omega version and thinking that if I ever get money to burn, the 10MM would be a hoot to shoot. Also, expensive. If you get a 10mm "upper" the way that the Omega comes, can you just slap it on the "lower" ?

madmax7774

Nov 17, 2016
    Clarksburg
    I am not going to lie to you, I am not an expert on the whole 77r issue, but from what I understand there are enough American made parts in the upper to cover the necessary requirements. The lower I added is only 3 German parts and shouldn't put me over the limit. The "wrist brace" is American made, so that also helps. As far as the lower parts go, I believe that the ejector is different between 9mm, 40 cal, and 10mm. You would have to take the lower off, pull out the trigger pack and either have another trigger pack ready to drop in (they are $150 to $300 each depending on style chosen....) or else you would then have to disassemble the whole trigger pack, to put in the different ejector arm (which I have not done before). There are video's on youtube on how to do it, but I would not attempt it personally. The AR15 trigger is about as complicated as I can handle, and I think MP5 trigger packs are more complicated, so that's not for me. The serialized part is the upper, and the lowers are not serialized. It's exactly opposite of your typical AR15.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am not going to lie to you, I am not an expert on the whole 77r issue, but from what I understand there are enough American made parts in the upper to cover the necessary requirements. The lower I added is only 3 German parts and shouldn't put me over the limit. The "wrist brace" is American made, so that also helps. As far as the lower parts go, I believe that the ejector is different between 9mm, 40 cal, and 10mm. You would have to take the lower off, pull out the trigger pack and either have another trigger pack ready to drop in (they are $150 to $300 each depending on style chosen....) or else you would then have to disassemble the whole trigger pack, to put in the different ejector arm (which I have not done before). There are video's on youtube on how to do it, but I would not attempt it personally. The AR15 trigger is about as complicated as I can handle, and I think MP5 trigger packs are more complicated, so that's not for me. The serialized part is the upper, and the lowers are not serialized. It's exactly opposite of your typical AR15.

The 77r is the part of the process where you show your hql, fill out the online form, and wait 7 days for MD to not dissaprove you. If the serialized part is the upper, thats the part that gets shipped to FFL and goes through 77r. The rest goes to your house.

The 922 issue is the one related to 6 American made parts (imports).

You bought this from Atlantic?

Hmmm... yes,the ejector may be different for a 10mm. That means a new trigger pack. Although i dont recall mine being caliber specific when I got it.

madmax7774

Nov 17, 2016
    Clarksburg
    Ahh crap....I got the 77R and the 922 compliance topics backward! Yeah, I purchased the upper from Atlantic Firearms, did the 77r transfer, and it was "not disapproved", and transferred it in through 2A sales & service in Jessup. I called Atlantic and talked to one of the folks about it being MD compliant before I bought it, and they confirmed it. I also talked to the guys at 2A sales and service, and they showed me that the pistol is specifically listed on the MD state police approved list, so there is no Maryland specific legal issue with owning this pistol. The one thing that does suck about Maryland, is that I can't SBR this and put a real MP5 stock on it, because it falls about 1" short of the stupid 29" rule. Oh well... To console myself, I bought a SilencerCo Octane 45 for this bad boy, and am now just waiting on my stamp. I'm told the wait is about 6 months

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah I have something in ATF purgatory as well.

These are a blast to shoot. I have been mulling over the 10mm version but I keep think its like setting my wallet on fire. Its so easy to blow through 5 boxes of ammo with this. At least 9mm is 1/2 price of 10mm.

madmax7774

Nov 17, 2016
    Clarksburg
    Just a quick follow up. I have been back to TMGN in Maryland 3 more times with the Omega pistol. Round count is up to 850 rounds and this thing is awesome! Zero issues with many types of 9MM ammo. I have tried everything from Winchester to Tula to Remington. both FMJ and HP. I love this gun !!!!!!!!!!! Now I want to do a "K" variant!! Oh God, I hate my wallet!...lol

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    There's no US parts requirements for handguns. You can put all the foreign parts you want on this as long as it remains a pistol.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Nice build and I'm glad to hear the lower can be assembled at home. What differences are there from the HK SP-89?

SP89 is an MP5K length gun. This is an MP5 style gun. The K receiver is slightly shorter with the back end held on by two pins instead of one. The trigger packs and selectors are interchangeable, but the housing frames are not.

madmax7774

Nov 17, 2016
    Clarksburg
    Hello all. Still have the Pistol. Have lost count of the rounds through it. Probably better than 2K by now. I am sort of playing a game with the pistol. I want to see how badly I can abuse it, before it starts to have problems. So far I have cleaned it a total of 1 time. I have had it to various ranges more than a dozen times. Still eats everything I throw at it. I have also added a Can on it, and have been having fun with subsonic rounds. It's amazing how quiet this thing is. Still totally in love with Omega, and the overall quality of the pistol. So far it's a dream!

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If you shoot a lot suppressed you should consider changing the lock piece to a 90 deg (or even 80 or 70) to avoid beating up the rear of the receiver. Esp if using a smaller volume pistol suppressor. Safest to run as small an angle as will still cycle reliably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom