• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    aparently i'm using the wrong gun or hunting the wrong deer... there was a guy at the range this weekend that insisted that a 300 win mag is no good for deer hunting. sure it's a bit much but it hasn't failed yet.

I use a 300 win mag because i'm color blind and cant track a blood trail so it has to die.. quick. He went on to say that if i used an 80gr 6mm bullet they would drop on the spot, every time.

I've only shot about 30 deer in my short hunting carrier but i've only had 3 drop on the spot. typically when you blow out the shoulder and it turns the shoulder into bone shrapnel inside. he then proceeded to tell me that the meat is ruined at that point.

he said if i get a double lung and heart shot it'll drop ON THE SPOT. insisted on it.. got quite angry that i wouldn't accept that as FACT. haha.. i told him to hold is breath and run as far as he can before he blacks out.. this simulates the lungs not working and thus oxygen not getting to the brain. he's going to make it more that. 10 yards. he refused to see the connection.

i even offered to hunt his deer because clearly i'm hunting the wrong ones.. he didn't see the humor.

I was raised to not walk away from someone speaking to you, especially your elders. my question is what is the "nice way" to say "yep. okay. have a nice day."

PS: i'm a bit of an introvert so.. social interaction w/ "know it all" type people is.. challenging.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Deer are extremely resilient. Blood gushing and spraying everywhere from a mortal heart/lung shot but they will keep running until out of juice. A guaranteed “drop on the spot” is if you hit the spinal cord. Though when you walk up on it you may have to dispatch it with another shot. Been there and no fun.

As for your reply to him? “Well pilgrim, theres more than one way to kill a deer”. :innocent0

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Those are the kind of people you just say okay and walk away from. 300 win mag is fine for elk and will definitely take down deer. It might be slightly overkill, but it sounds like you have good enough reason to use it.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I put a 30.06 hornady SST through the front leg of a doe last year. Shattered the leg it went in and into the center of the heart and exploded the other side of the heart. That doe still ran at least 40 yards before I heard he crash. She ran on three legs and 0 blood flow and still ran. Now you don't "need" a 300 or 7mm Magnum to hunt deer, but it doesn't hurt to shoot flatter and hit harder. I will also tell you, it does ruin meat going through the shoulder. I probably throw away a pound of meat that would be ground from this wounds. It also makes a bunch of that gelantuos blood trash to clean up. I prefer the ribs and tracking, but to each his own.

To the old guy just keep winking at him and saying "gotcha". When you keep saying the same, one word, response over and over, they get the hint you're not in the mood for their conversation. My old stand by, which doesn't work for everyone, when they get pushy and overbearing, or annoying. I just tell them "My balls itch" out of the blue and from nowhere. It normally makes them feel awkward in the conversation and ends it with them without any hassle. But then, I couldn't give two shites what some annoying people think of me. Maybe you could just keep repeating "to each, his own" That's a more polite way.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I run into one of these "experts" about every third or fourth trip to the rifle range. Best response so far is "We don't have to talk" while I turn off my headset and get back to business. They're not my elders; they're just a-holes that have managed to grow old.

As for your .300 WM, there's no such thing as too much gun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The grain of truth , is that many of the Premium bullets for .300 mag are controlled expansion for deep penetration on things like elk or bear . Conventional bullets at .308win to .30-06 velocity can do more lung damage on "mere" whitetails .

You certainly can use a .300 , but take care in your bullet selection .

FWIW , a deer with Both front shoulders shattered will indeed Drop Right There .

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    LOL, the shooting range know it all. I cant stand those guys

The funny thing is unless you hit the spine you cant really say if the deer is going to run or drop. I’ve shot well over a hundred deer and the only deer I ever had drop on the spot was the one I accidentally gut shot with a 308. Go figure :shrug:

As to Bigfoots point, he is right about 300 mag bullet selection. When I first started rifle hunting I was using a 300 mag and actually had to do follow up shots on a few deer until I figured out what bullet to use. I think my original bullets were wizzing through the deer without opening.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    In essence he thinks a .243 will kill a deer deader than your .300 WM.

Probably. That being said, I took one with a 22-250 soft point. At 180 yards. It only ran 15 yards. Shoulder, lung and 30gr left stuck IN the heart. Recovered the bullet... weighed it. 55->30.. probably won’t do it again though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Probably. That being said, I took one with a 22-250 soft point. At 180 yards. It only ran 15 yards. Shoulder, lung and 30gr left stuck IN the heart. Recovered the bullet... weighed it. 55->30.. probably won’t do it again though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy deer hunts with a 22-250 using Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. They typically dont go very far. That tiny bullet traveling at 3700 fps does a number on them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom