• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Id like to get a 9mm can for my cz scorpion.

I'd like a can I can use on some other stuff, don't use 300blk yet, which seems to be the most common other use for 9mm suppressors.

only one ive seen that can do 556 is dead airs wolfman with a special brake from then that costs extra.

If I have to keep it on the scorpion I can and wont be heartbroken but it would be nice to be able to use on something else.

Any experience or input? Id like to get the paper work going soon.

I haven't gotten registered on silencer co kiosks yet, used the old school fbi cards and paper copy of trust last time.

So im not sure if im limited to buying from certain shops.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Love my Griffin Optimus, it's pricey, but essentially a modular 9mm can with a 30 cal blast chamber/baffle and swappable end caps. Can handle 22lr, 9mm, and up to 300win mag in rifle config. It's great as a 9mm can, includes a booster with 1/2x28 piston, quiet and reliable on the few pistols I have tried it with. I have the optional 3 lug kit, which makes it awesome for 9mm PCC/PCPs, and being 1.375" it fits under a lot of handguards. It's good for 300BO and 308 with the mid size blast chamber, a little loud in 5.56, but it works, and really good in 22, although really big/heavy compared to a rimfire can. THey have a lot of accessories and great selection of taper mount muzzle devices, the 3 lug is HK standard, so cheaper Kaw valley adapters work great, but Griffin makes their own too. I plan on more cans, but still think this was the best decision I could have made for a first can with 9mm and 30cal rifle being the main uses I wanted to cover.

35.jpg

20190814_132849.jpg

20190814_160546.jpg

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    The more you want it to do, the more the can will cost and weigh. Were I doing it, I'd figure on a 9mm can for pistol, a .30 can for rifle. I don't have a preference for a rifle suppressor. For a 9mm can, I've got a CGS Kraken, but am looking forward to getting my hands on an Odessa 9 (currently in the transfer pipeline). Modular is a definite plus for a centerfire pistol or rifle suppressor.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Thumbs up to the Griffin, either Rev 9 or Optimus. The Optimus is a little beefier (and more $$) and can handle rifle calibers better, but the Rev 9 will handle "5-7" shots from a rifle caliber "for hunting applications." On a pistol, AR9, or MP5, Rev 9 is excellent even in short config K. Before my rifles were lost in a boating accident, I may have tried rifle caliber through a Rev 9 without disappointment. I am personally not big on "do it all" suppressors. Maybe for the first one, while you wait for the next, but you will want a dedicated 30 cal can and 556 that is fairly short.

For a pistol can, though, invest in an ultrasonic cleaner and clean it! Or you may never be able to disassemble it, ever again.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I'm very happy with my Griffin Optimus as well. It seems to meet your versatility requirements, but may not be exactly what you're looking for. I'd buy it again though. I think it was the first can I bought, though oddly it was one of the last that I received. Dead Air Wolfman, Dead Air Odessa, and Rugged Obsidian all would be good cans to look at. You could also look at the Silencerco Omega 9k if it is on sale. Otherwise it just seems like the Wolfman blows it out of the water. At any rate the Odessa and Obsidian both work well for pistols and the Wolfman as mentioned can tolerate limited centerfire rifle use in certain circumstances. I guess it depends on what else you'd rather the 9mm can do: work on pistols or rifles. Or both, in the case of the Optimus.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Also worth it to look at a .45 can as that will (usually) do everything smaller than .45 and 300BLK Subsonic.

Its all a trade off in the end. Yes, can get a can to do 50Cal BMG and under but it will weigh a ton.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Gemtech Multimount is a very adaptable suppressor. I use it with a 3 lug mount on my MP5 clone. 1/2 x 36 on my 9mm AR. 1/2 x 28 on my .22 rifles. And on my 9mm pistols with the inertial damper.

It was my first suppressor and I jave used it a lot. Never any issues.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    Gemtech Multimount is a very adaptable suppressor. I use it with a 3 lug mount on my MP5 clone. 1/2 x 36 on my 9mm AR. 1/2 x 28 on my .22 rifles. And on my 9mm pistols with the inertial damper.

It was my first suppressor and I jave used it a lot. Never any issues.

+1 for the multimount

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    You can always Form1 a .45 can. Might be heavier than a commercial can but it will work also on 9mm. Plus I hear Form 1 has faster turn around time.

On a side note my Form 1 .45 can seems to work well with my palmetto AR9. Now I'm afraid to take it apart to clean it. Maybe I will just mount it on at 14.5 or 16" AR15 to clean it. :)

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You can always Form1 a .45 can. Might be heavier than a commercial can but it will work also on 9mm. Plus I hear Form 1 has faster turn around time.

On a side note my Form 1 .45 can seems to work well with my palmetto AR9. Now I'm afraid to take it apart to clean it. Maybe I will just mount it on at 14.5 or 16" AR15 to clean it. :)

If you dont take it apart every once in a while to clean it, about every 250 rounds or so, eventually you wont be able to**. Mounting in on an AR15 does not really work, dont ask me how I know.

** without at least a week in CLP and Kroil followed by an ultrasonic cleaner.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    I dip the suppressor in the dot5 silicone brake fluid used in the .22 rimfire suppressor thread both before and after shooting. I loosen both endcaps to let it soak to the threads. One time I did make a mistake of forgetting to clean my suppressor after using it on rimfire (thunderbolts) until a week later. You are right I could not take the can apart. Overnight soak in dot5 did the trick. And the gunk just wiped off.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have an older Gemtech Multimount which has worked well on my 9mm AR and on Glock and HK hosts. I have an Octane 9 on a FA M11/9, and it’s impressed the pants off me for that particular application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom