• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    So I have a few AR15s, I am seeing that it is possible to SBR one by filing the Form1 and waiting for the ATF to bless me.?

At that point I can drop the barrel from a 16" to say a 10.5"?

O was going to build a new ar pistol for this purpose but if I can convert a rifle I own why bother.

Thanks!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    OAL with a collapsing stock measured from the stock all the way collapsed or all the way extended? or is it to the end of the buffer tube?
    All the way extended. If you're doing a 10.5" build, you are almost certainly good to go in terms of OAL.

ETA: that said, if you have a pre-2013 lower, DO NOT SBR IT. Buy a new one, and then SBR that.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    All the way extended. If you're doing a 10.5" build, you are almost certainly good to go in terms of OAL.

ETA: that said, if you have a pre-2013 lower, DO NOT SBR IT. Buy a new one, and then SBR that.

Good advice.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG

Good advice.

Thanks, I have a AR Pistol with a 11.5inch barrel considering SBR'ing it at some point possibly. It is a newer (2018 obtained) lower.
    Dont care much for the KAK or the SBA3 and 4 braces I have tried and also would like a vertical grip on it.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    OAL with a collapsing stock measured from the stock all the way collapsed or all the way extended? or is it to the end of the buffer tube?

Stock extended, muzzle device (if any) removed, unless it is blind pinned or silver soldered in place.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So in order to go from an AR pistol to a legal SBR, the AR Pistol must not be a copy cat and not have more than 2 "evil features"; e.g. flash hider plus folding stock (as opposed to collapsible). And to verify; an AR pistol is not considered a copy cat under the MD AWB.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    AFAIK the only provision they are enforcing is the 29" minimum OAL.

An AR pistol cannot be a copy cat, as the copy cat part of the law states center fire RIFLE.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    AFAIK the only provision they are enforcing is the 29" minimum OAL.

An AR pistol cannot be a copy cat, as the copy cat part of the law states center fire RIFLE.
    They are enforcing features, too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They're enforcing OAL. Legally speaking, if they are enforcing OAL, they are enforcing features. They are two clauses in the same law. The fact that the ATF isn't asking doesn't mean it's not a real thing the MSP could arrest for you. I have absolutely not been putting folding stocks and flash hiders together on my post-AWB SBRs.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So it is your opinion that they might do something like this. Not that there have been any incidents, or any letters or anything else to back it up.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So it is your opinion that they might do something like this. Not that there have been any incidents, or any letters or anything else to back it up.
    Other than the MSP telling everyone back in 2014 that SBRs were rifles for copycat purposes, which is what caused the ATF to start caring about OAL? No, I've got nothing. Call up LD and ask them. They'll tell you the same thing I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom