• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Worst rimfire mod I ever made; over doing it with my 10/22 on the cheap. The 10/22 is a basic carbine model and wood stock that I bought from Bass Pro with 4X Bushnell Banner scope out the door for $210 14+ years ago. It shot well - but I just had to mess with it! I bough a no-name replacement barrel because it was threaded at the end. Accuracy went to hell. Mistake 1. Then I got a Choate folding stock for it; well made but I hated it. The Choate has a fore stock that clamps on to the barrel. Stupid. Mistake 2. Ended up putting the original barrel back on and getting a flat dark earth ATI FAB stock that free-floats the barrel. Finally shoots well again, but I should have just left it as it was.

I guess if you are going to fundamentally change your 10/22 do it right and drop an extra $1000 for high quality barrel / parts / stock. O/W just leave it.

One 10/22 mod I did like was to use a Volquartsen trigger kit upgrade.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I can't think of anything in particular with firearms where I've done that but definitely with cars. There's two rules I've broken...first was "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and "If if it ain't broke fix it 'til it is."

For the most part with firearms I've been a minimalist...less is more. I don't normally modify them unless there's a good reason to do so...such as sights. As my eyes have changed I've learned the value of red dot sights when I was content with standard sights before.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    The only mods I made on my 10/22 Takedown were adding a flash hider and reprofiling and polishing the trigger. The only mods I made on my Mini-14 were adding a Choate Pistol Grip stock and adding a flash hider. I have left the other stuff as stock save my Glock 21 that has tritium sights and my P89 stainless that has Hogue soft rubber wrap-around grips substituted for the plastic slab ones. The only mod I ever regretted(from a purist standpoint) was substituting a mangled roll pin with a cut-off high-grade nail.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    At first, I thought...."damn, here it comes"......a mod bitch thread. :lol2:

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I had a10/22 takedown that I changed to use a side folding stock. The stock was awesome by itself, made it look like a mini AK. But it made no sense on a takedown - everything got bigger, it didn't fit in the bag anymore when a scope was mounted. I noticed that I kept it in the safe assembled, why have a takedown then?

Sold it at a serious profit before 2016 election when everything shot up in cost hard.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Alumagrips on a inox Beretta 92.

Hotter than a childhood slide in the summer

Colder then a welldiggers you know in the winter

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Using a blow torch and 4 chisels to drive out the rear sight on a Mosin in order to put a picatinney rail gadget on it. I bubba'd that thing so badly that it is still laying in pieces.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I have a good one. Joined the Marines and after going to my MOS training where I had more weapons to fire than I new about. I was into guns but not shotguns or subguns. I wanted a shotgun now, went to a gun show with my father and oldest brother, also a Marine, where I bought a 590.
    Gun mod part-I wanted a flashlight on the 590 so I bought one of those clamp on thing that holds a flashlight and goes around the magazine tube and you tighten the center screw to squeeze the mag tube and flashlight. Of course I cranked it down and put a good bend/dent in the tube. If I loaded more than 5 shells in the follower got caught on the dent. Ordered a new magazine and fixed it. Light clamp got tossed.

attila.

May 18, 2013
    Worst one I did was to try threading my factory 10/22 barrel without a lathe. The threads we’re fine, but I couldn’t get them axially aligned to the bore. With it being an 18” barrel, I tried it twice with no luck.

I put that in the parts bin to save for if I ever do get a lathe and bought a 16” Kidd ULW instead. It’s so much better now!!

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Mods I regret, not really anything in particular. Add ones, a bungee AR sling and gong to Tom Perroni’s class. Not a good combo but truly showed me why a bungee sling doesn’t go well for many reasons

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I assume this was for rimfire mods given the location in the forum.

I did the usual "tacticool'd my 10/22" thing and regretted it in the end. I just don't think the 10/22 is a good candidate platform for that.

I also messed up a 22lr upper receiver when I didn't properly support it when torquing the barrel nut during a barrel replacement - it works fine, but you kinda got to force it in and out of the the lower and getting the bolt in and out is a pain. I have since gotten the right stuff to do this correctly, and will probably replace the upper at some point.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Having a Gunsmith thread and cut down the first Rifle I ever purchased. A 22 Marlin Bolt
    Killed the Accuracy for some reason. Now I no longer can shoot my first Rifle and its collecting dust.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Alumagrips on a inox Beretta 92.

Hotter than a childhood slide in the summer

Colder then a welldiggers you know in the winter
    I bought Hogue aluminum flame grips for my SAO Sig P220. They have no texture on them and not pratical at all. I also felt like a bitch for buying them. I ended up buying new textured aluminum grips that I love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom