• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I have assembled several lowers using PSA lower parts kits and they are usually fine. The rear takedown pin in this particular lower protrudes ever so slightly and binds on my upper assembly and is a bear to remove. It has acquired off the anodized coating on the upper and requires a decent amount of force to separate the upper and the lower.

Any suggestions on what went wrong and how to fix it?
    cc50ac577407699b60a0606cb3c96053.jpg
    ab776b2c6af2dad3b41cfdcf75453586.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have bought several uppers lately, all from the same vendor, and the pin holes are out of spec and dont line up with my other known correct lowers....just like 2013 shit...

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Looks to me like the pin itself is the problem. It should be flush with the inside edge of the lower when pulled all the way out. There are a lot of crappy small parts out there for ARs. It’s nearly impossible to judge the quality. I would find a set of extended pins since they are easier to use anyway and give them a shot.

One other thing to make sure of is that you put the little metal plunger in before the spring for the pin retention. If you just have a spring it might be getting bent up where it slides on the pin and prevent the pin from pulling the whole way out.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I have bought several uppers lately, all from the same vendor, and the pin holes are out of spec and dont line up with my other known correct lowers....just like 2013 shit...

The pin hole is fine, but the pin itself is protruding ever so slightly into the opening. I've already staked the castle nut, so I don't really want to take it apart and try to assemble it again but it looks like I don't have much of a choice.

Looks to me like the pin itself is the problem. It should be flush with the inside edge of the lower when pulled all the way out. There are a lot of crappy small parts out there for ARs. It’s nearly impossible to judge the quality. I would find a set of extended pins since they are easier to use anyway and give them a shot.

One other thing to make sure of is that you put the little metal plunger in before the spring for the pin retention. If you just have a spring it might be getting bent up where it slides on the pin and prevent the pin from pulling the whole way out.

Its frustrating, because when its assembled the pin extends perfectly through and has the correct looking reveal. Yes, I know for sure that the plunger is there, then the pin, then the backing plate. I might have to try a new pin I suppose.

Thanks to both of you.

Stay safe out there!

Spektek

MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2020
    Baltimore & GB
    Did you mill the lower yourself?

First thing does the rear take down pin slide smoothly by itself? (No upper attached?)

If you remove & reassemble the rear takedown pin & detent & reinstall it , does it fit the same?

Its odd the pin is binding On the very bottom, so im curious of a few things. Do you know if that pin level?

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    The pin hole is fine, but the pin itself is protruding ever so slightly into the opening. I've already staked the castle nut, so I don't really want to take it apart and try to assemble it again but it looks like I don't have much of a choice.

Its frustrating, because when its assembled the pin extends perfectly through and has the correct looking reveal. Yes, I know for sure that the plunger is there, then the pin, then the backing plate. I might have to try a new pin I suppose.

Thanks to both of you.

Stay safe out there!

Before you do anything, try to pin the upper to a known, in-spec, lower......it may not be a "pin" problem but a pin "hole " out of spec problem.....if I hanemt seen it I wouldn't suggest it..... let me know brother....

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    That pocket looks wak. Is it off-center? It looks like the walls are thicker on the safety side than the mag release side.

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009

Clandestine warned us a few months back that this was going to happen with AR parts.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Whatever you do, do Not follow any advice given by a clown. Clowns clown around a little too much.......
    "Sure, I have a spare detent. Yes, yes, that's it, come on down in here, I'll make sure you get it..."

It sounds like a defective pin, in that the end of the slot for the detent stops too soon near the end of the pin and doesn't allow the pin to retract fully.

Concur with the clown; get a new pin.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    Change the pin out. I used a dental pick to remove the detent to avoid taking the plate and castle nut off as mine was staked also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That pocket looks wak. Is it off-center? It looks like the walls are thicker on the safety side than the mag release side.

Just curious, have you measured the wall thickness on both sides yet?
    The same thing occurred to me(we saw that last year on here), but the more I looked at it, I believe it is camera angle playing tricks?
    A set of calipers will answer that question for sure though...

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

Same here. One lines up fine while the other catches. I'm going to file it down a bit so it doesn't have that lip anymore. I won't even mention the feed ramps. Same garbage on both. I just assembled an upper and gave it to a friend to test for the next few months. We'll see if he has any issues. I specifically asked him to beat it up.

Just got a few BCMs so we'll see how those work out.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Does this thread title sound kinda naughty, or is it just me?
    I would hope it's just you... but apparently not!

The sidewalls are equal, .21". The rear pin is 1.01", same as several other rear pins. I didn't get a chance to throw that particular upper on a different lower yet.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom