• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I decided to add a flared magwell to my 19 gen 3. The problem I am having is the Glock mags no longer seat, the flared magwell adds just enough length to prevent seating. I also have Pmag and RWB (Korean cheapo's) that will seat just fine. I have 2 of each. The RWB's wont drop free, but cycle fine. The Pmag work fine and drop free, but I have read a lot of complaints about them. The Glock wont seat, but drop free. They are all 15 rounders. I would like to start carrying my 19, but I dont want to do it as is. I want to carry with the flared magwell, I might just need a different one. What are peoples thoughts, is the flared magwell worth it? Is there a decent flared magwell that will work with 15 rounders? Have they fixed the issues with the PMAG, mine are pretty new? I wont carry with the RWB unless I can figure out a fix for them to drop freely. Am I searching for a solution to a problem that doesnt really exist?

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I never saw the point of these. Indeed, I went the other way and had cutouts added at the bottom of the grip to be able to more easily rip out a stuck mag, which to me is much more vital than shaving .0002 seconds off my reload time.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I dont specifically. Just figured I would make it easier for a mag swap if I needed too.
    Don't mess sound with that crap when your life depends on it.

Competition shooters use those for speed. They also have extended buttplates that help them seat the mag.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Don't mess sound with that crap when your life depends on it.

The factory glock mag is why I was wondering if it was worth messing with it. Was there a worthwhile aftermarket mag or just dont F with what works? Did PMAG fix the issues they did have? I really want to like the RWB, but I cant get them to drop freely. They always hang up. I really want to believe the PMAG are reliable.

I know a lot of people like to mess with the glock for various reasons. The flared magwell and mag release button seemed like the only things I would mess with. I havent changed the mag release button at this point, but I might. It isnt any different that any full size I have, but if I carry and need to swap a mag, it would be nice to make it easier.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I will also add, that is why I was asking. It works, was it really worth messing with it. And it sounds like the general consensus is to leave well enough alone.

cotman68

Feb 21, 2010
    Stewartstown, Pa
    If you’re going to carry it. Ditch the magwell and use the Glock factory mags. Like others said , that little bit of speed isn’t worth it. Reliability is more important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The factory glock mag is why I was wondering if it was worth messing with it. Was there a worthwhile aftermarket mag or just dont F with what works? Did PMAG fix the issues they did have? I really want to like the RWB, but I cant get them to drop freely. They always hang up. I really want to believe the PMAG are reliable.

I know a lot of people like to mess with the glock for various reasons. The flared magwell and mag release button seemed like the only things I would mess with. I havent changed the mag release button at this point, but I might. It isnt any different that any full size I have, but if I carry and need to swap a mag, it would be nice to make it easier.
    Prentice makes that mag exchange easier.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    The current FBI qual includes one string of 4 reload 4 at 7 yards, which must be completed in 8 seconds. This is pretty generous. If you can't manage that "stock" , a magwell probably won't help you. Practice will.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I use the Magpul magwell on my G19, less to do with mag changes and more to do with my hands being just a hair big for the grip. With the magwell it is perfect, and my grip locks in. Factory mags seat just fine with it, really slim magwell 0 issues. It might help reloads for some, but I don't really notice, indexing my finger on the front of the mag guides it right in with or without it. I wouldn't want a big USPSA magwell on a carry gun, but I like the little bit of flare at the bottom to lock in my grip.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I use the Magpul magwell on my G19, less to do with mag changes and more to do with my hands being just a hair big for the grip. With the magwell it is perfect, and my grip locks in. Factory mags seat just fine with it, really slim magwell 0 issues. It might help reloads for some, but I don't really notice, indexing my finger on the front of the mag guides it right in with or without it. I wouldn't want a big USPSA magwell on a carry gun, but I like the little bit of flare at the bottom to lock in my grip.

I have the Magpul flared magwell, it isnt wide. But it does cause an issue with my factory glock mags. The lip on it is about an 1/8 inch or so, and my 15 round mags are tight on the grip without the flared magwell. So when I install it, it wont let them seat.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I decided to add a flared magwell to my 19 gen 3. The problem I am having is the Glock mags no longer seat, the flared magwell adds just enough length to prevent seating. I also have Pmag and RWB (Korean cheapo's) that will seat just fine. I have 2 of each. The RWB's wont drop free, but cycle fine. The Pmag work fine and drop free, but I have read a lot of complaints about them. The Glock wont seat, but drop free. They are all 15 rounders. I would like to start carrying my 19, but I dont want to do it as is. I want to carry with the flared magwell, I might just need a different one. What are peoples thoughts, is the flared magwell worth it? Is there a decent flared magwell that will work with 15 rounders? Have they fixed the issues with the PMAG, mine are pretty new? I wont carry with the RWB unless I can figure out a fix for them to drop freely. Am I searching for a solution to a problem that doesnt really exist?
    I added one to my P80 17. It came off after two mags.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have the Magpul flared magwell, it isnt wide. But it does cause an issue with my factory glock mags. The lip on it is about an 1/8 inch or so, and my 15 round mags are tight on the grip without the flared magwell. So when I install it, it wont let them seat.

Thats weird, is it seated? Should hook over the front edge of the grip then pull down in place. If it is just pushed up and screwed in place without seating the front, that might be your issue. Mine has plenty of clearance for factory mags, they are all I use with it.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    are you using aftermarket base plates on the mags?

agree with everyone else - its not needed. let your wife buy accessories. you are a man.
    No. Read that wrong initially.

Thats weird, is it seated? Should hook over the front edge of the grip then pull down in place. If it is just pushed up and screwed in place without seating the front, that might be your issue. Mine has plenty of clearance for factory mags, they are all I use with it.

Yes, it clicks on the front and seats well in the back. It needed some fittingin the back of the grip. I was reading it can happen, but not on all glock gen 3's with factory mags. It is definitely an improvement to the magwell. That's why I was wondering if there were any quality aftermarket mags or if I was searchingfor a solution I reallydidn't need. Supposedly all factory mags, and any with a steel lined mag, will eventually stop dropping free. Theoretically yes, but that would require a very high round replacement count IMHO. I doubt I would ever get to that point. Hopefully, and I believe factory glock mags are, the mags are using a spring steel and manufactured prestressing them to tight tolerances. Thats probably the issue with the RWB ones, lax manufacturering and crap material. But I dont trust them for regular use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom