HQL denied to to Medical Marijuana Card?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • christy20657

Jul 31, 2020
    So I guess we just spent a bunch of money for nothing....we were just told by the state police that are going to be denied due to the fact that we are "habitual" users of Medical Marijuana. I said first of, habitual implies that I use marijuana due to a habit, I use it occasionally along with CBD for a medical condition (scleroderma) rather than be on Oxy's or Percs or other narcotics.

So I guess our choice is:

A. Turn in the MM Card and start taking Percs, Oxy and whatever narcotics they will throw at us AND THEN we can possess a handgun.

B. Continue with our MM usage for medical purposes and load up on rifles, shotguns, sling shots, bow and arrow or whatever the hell else we want to just NOT a handgun.

I also did not see this one the Maryland licensing website, the website of the instructor for the HQL class nor did they address it in class.

Any thoughts on this????

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Any thoughts on this????

Don't do rifles, either. If you're using drugs the federal government considers illegal, you may not purchase a firearm. Your MM card is you saying you use those drugs.

You'll need to stick with medieval weapons. Just no daggers or dirks in Maryland, of course.

Hotartchick

Jul 1, 2020
    Ocean Pines, Maryland
    So I guess we just spent a bunch of money for nothing....we were just told by the state police that are going to be denied due to the fact that we are "habitual" users of Medical Marijuana. I said first of, habitual implies that I use marijuana due to a habit, I use it occasionally along with CBD for a medical condition (scleroderma) rather than be on Oxy's or Percs or other narcotics.

A. Turn in the MM Card and start taking Percs, Oxy and whatever narcotics they will throw at us AND THEN we can possess a handgun.

B. Continue with our MM usage for medical purposes and load up on rifles, shotguns, sling shots, bow and arrow or whatever the hell else we want to just NOT a handgun.

I also did not see this one the Maryland licensing website, the website of the instructor for the HQL class nor did they address it in class.

Any thoughts on this????

This was addressed in our class. And yes...it is total BS!

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Under federal law, all marijuana use is unlawful. Marijuana use prohibits you from possessing any firearm or ammunition. Being issued a medical marijuana card, even without ever having a prescription filled, makes you a prohibited person. If you voluntarily relinquish your medical card, ATF regulations still deem you a prohibited person based on presumed use for one year after your relinquishment.

Hotartchick

Jul 1, 2020
    Ocean Pines, Maryland

Any thoughts on this????

Another for of government control. Get everyone on Legal Marijuana but you forfeit your right to own a firearm.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    A handgun seems like it would be a difficult weapon to shoot with scleroderma.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Another for of government control. Get everyone on Legal Marijuana but you forfeit your right to own a firearm.

I don't think "everyone" is on marijuana. I only know two people with MM cards, and both got them for strictly recreational purposes. Whether or not they thought through the consequences when it comes to their right to self defense, hard to say.

Hotartchick

Jul 1, 2020
    Ocean Pines, Maryland
    I don't think "everyone" is on marijuana. I only know two people with MM cards, and both got them for strictly recreational purposes. Whether or not they thought through the consequences when it comes to their right to self defense, hard to say.

Correct. Didn't literally mean "Everyone" but I know MANY people who have their cards. Some for legitimate medical reasons but mostly younger people who were very excited for when medical marijuana became available in Maryland. Most of them are not concerned with their right to self defense but some of them, like the original poster here, had no idea that it would prevent them from owning a handgun.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Don't do rifles, either. If you're using drugs the federal government considers illegal, you may not purchase a firearm. Your MM card is you saying you use those drugs.

You'll need to stick with medieval weapons. Just no daggers or dirks in Maryland, of course.

This. The federal 4473 form is going to ask if you are a habitual drug user. If you have that medical card and don't check that you are, the feds are going to want to talk to you.

Hotartchick

Jul 1, 2020
    Ocean Pines, Maryland
    Not just a handgun. ANY gun, or ammo.

Definitely not condoning drug use in conjunction with firearms. Just feel that it is an underhanded way of infringing on 2A rights. I know nothing about the application process for a card but why is it not made clear that you are giving up that right when applying? Also, I know a couple of veterans who wish that they could use medical marijuana for their pain instead of narcotics but are not willing to give up their 2A rights.

christy20657

Jul 31, 2020
    My husband has severe arthritis but has to work they tried pain meds to take at night but he would still be loopy come 3am. Now with MM he is able to sleep pain free and doesn't wake up feeling stoned or loopy.

I have scleroderma, its life long and can possibly shorten my life if it gets worse. Pain meds make me throw up, I can't take them and I'm a lightweight. Benadryl has me down for 2 days!

But it seems I can go load up on script pain meds and then have absolutely no restrictions on purchasing a gun. It doesn't ask you on the application if you are taking any medication, just asks if you possess the card. Doesn't even ask if you are a recreational user of any type of drugs if I remember correctly.

So we wasted Each $100 for the class, $75.00 live scan, and $50.00 for the application. I just noticed the ONLY place it mentions about the MM is under the frequently asked questions. I never went there, I figured its given to me by the state legally so why would it be denied?

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Not just MD anytime you need a background check done as a MJ user by the FEDs you will fail. This will even stop you being employed by the FEDs or getting a clearance.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Hopefully the whole medical marijuana restriction goes away in due time. It's freakin rediculous. I don't smoke the stuff anymore but I did for about a decade and have friends that are regular users, both for medical reasons and recreationally.

I can tell you factually that marijuana use has zero relationship to responsible or irresponsible gun ownership or use. MM card holders likely fall into an even lower risk category since they only procure it by legal means.

Turning in your card is the only way as it stands. I believe the database takes about a year to clear you out of the MM card system, but check with MSP for the recommendation there. You do not want to fill out a 77r with false info - it's a federal crime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom