• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    I have found that I am left eye dominate, but have always shot right handed.
    Should I start shooting left handed ? Or try and train my right eye ?
    No problem with a rifle, howitzer, or RPG, just handgun.

SoMDGuy

Threadkiller Supreme
    Apr 26, 2008
    I have found that I am left eye dominate, but have always shot right handed.
    Should I start shooting left handed ? Or try and train my right eye ?
    No problem with a rifle, howitzer, or RPG, just handgun.

I am also cross-dominant. I find that this is less a problem with handguns, since I can get a sight picture with my left eye by cocking my wrist a little. It's a real pig with rifles, though, as my right eye has been getting progressively weaker. I used to be able to close my left eye and shoot righty, but I lose the ability to focus after about 10 minutes now, doing that. I'll be retraining to shoot lefty now, which ought to be amusing to bystanders. The selfloaders shouldn't be too inconvenient, the bolt guns will be, and I suspect the K31 will be a royal PITA. I'm just thankful I didn't invest in a bullpup.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm the same way and still shoot right handed. It's really not that hard to learn, but they caught mine very soon after I started shooting pistols so I didn't have years of learned behaviors to overcome.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Im right handed and have always been left eye dominant. It's never been a problem with handguns.

It's HARD to retrain yourself to shoot with the opposite hand; I've been working on this to shoot rifles.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Wear an eyepatch over your left eye when you shoot.

Or just learn to shoot with both eyes open.

Or just dont worry about it, and shoot cross dominate.

I'm cross dominate, but because of the way i shoulder a rifle, i automatically sight with my right eye. Its only handgun shooting i have a problem with. I have a friend that shoots cross too, he's alot faster and more accurate than most people.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    Both my friend and I are cross-eye dominant. He shoots left-handed, I shoot right-handed. He insists that I should shoot lefty to get my best sight-picture, but my right eye works well enough and shooting lefty just seems so...retarded to me. BTW, I shoot just as good, if not better, than he does. Not perfect, but within minute-of-badguy.

It's neat as shit when you use an ACOG. Trijicon says the Bindon Aiming doesn't work with cross-eye dominant people...since the dominant eye isn't on the optic your vision doesn't "switch back" to the magnified view when you stop moving the rifle.

This can be a GOOD thing. Since the reticle is still superimposed over your "good eye" picture, the ACOG can be used as a close-quarters optic by cross-eye dominant people. It's off by a little bit because of the distance between the two eyes, but not by enough to matter at close range. And if I WANT the full magnified picture, I just close my "good eye".

Now if you want MATCH accuracy, that's where I don't know if the benefits of using the "good eye" outweigh the awkwardness of switching to the "bad hand".

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I'll put clear tape on the left eye of my shooting glasses. It blurs the vision enough that the right eye takes over.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Shoot with your dominant eye from your normal pistol stance, just modify it a bit. This would be much easier then teaching the old dog new tricks.:D

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Dang there is a lot of us here, both my friend and I are left eye dominant and right handed. If anyone wants to try out a left handed AR, I own one due to my left Eye Dominance. After all these years shooting left handed it just feels weird to shoot right. This is why I like / use bolt actions and my lever action. No problem with the garand, it ejects straight up.

sailor

Sep 20, 2007
    cross dominant

I have a scratch on the lens in my right eye- and I am right handed.

I shoot pistol right handed with the left eye- no problem.

I was at NRA school and they were adimant- shoot rifle left handed.
    I have a bolt rifle, and tried it. WOW!!

My scores really went up, and I was much more comfortable. Not a problem at all.

I did put some clear scotch tape on my right eyeglass lens- it 'fogged' it up and so my eyes worked without strain.

Try it- you will find it easier than you think!!
    :D

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I think that is what I'll try first.

I was just teaching a guy the other day that had your same problem VNV, he did quite well shooting right handed with his left eye. I wouldn't suggest doing that with a rifle but with a pistol I think it will work for ya. Did you try it yet?

Arcticwolf

Certified Brute
    May 28, 2008
    i'm just flat out a lefty and i find it a little easier to shoot bolt guns made for right handed people, that is as long as there is no scope

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom