• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Beagle!! They're badass dogs. Ours is very docile but very friendly. Just chills, until he hears the leash. His name is Scooby but I call him meatball cuz they're thick.

danielw

Nov 4, 2008
    middle river md
    I'm had 3 chessies in the last 35 years. You can't ask for a better gun dog, but they can get mean with other people and dogs. But they always took care of my sons.

TNTBMXer

Apr 12, 2010
    Owned several but the German Shorthaired pointer was like hunting with another human, only smarter.

Exactly...... My father and uncle use to breed and train them. They are by far my favorite. We also hunt with about 50 beagles, I would say they are worlds apart in terms of skill and temperament.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Exactly...... My father and uncle use to breed and train them. They are by far my favorite. We also hunt with about 50 beagles, I would say they are worlds apart in terms of skill and temperament.

It takes almost 2 years until they lose the destructo phase unless you breed them on their 1st cycle. GREAT family unit once they figure it out. A buddy of mine visited and he was a HUGE runner. He brought her back because at every street crossing she would stop and sit unless commanded to go. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

She went ballistic with excitement when I pulled a gun out and she knew where we were going.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    If you like beagels, but not their energy, look at a Basset Hound. Not great retrievers, but wonderful trackers.

Have you ever owned a basset? I have one right now... she is 2.5 and she is a maniac. More energy by far than my Golden Retriever EVER had. She's nuts. Great hiking buddy tho.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Have you ever owned a basset? I have one right now... she is 2.5 and she is a maniac. More energy by far than my Golden Retriever EVER had. She's nuts. Great hiking buddy tho.

Really? A friend of mine in MA had 4 of them. They enjoyed trotting along a rabbit trail, but not in any great hurry.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Really? A friend of mine in MA had 4 of them. They enjoyed trotting along a rabbit trail, but not in any great hurry.

Mine enjoys trotting along trails, too... at her own speed, when it's on her time... but in the house, she's a nut! She will literally run from one end of the house to the other bouncing off of furniture and walls. My aunt has had them for years and says there's two types... the kind that are lazy slugs, and what she calls "smiling bassets" that are crazy until about a year before they die. Mine is definitely the latter. So just saying... be cautious with bassets cuz some of them can be nuts. I love her though. She's pretty much a perfect hiking dog.

hishaun84

Designated MD Collector
    Oct 18, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    546894_3694330007815_1932247956_n.jpg

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    We had a dog, half Springer Spaniel, half pointer, half setter (yes, I know, but this dog was Larger Than Life) who was the smartest dog I've known. Except maybe for a Blue Heeler cross, who was maybe cunning rather than smart. Always thought he was a lawyer in a previous life.

Toughest dog I ever had was a German Shorthaired Pointer. He had been well trained, but abandoned by his owner to wander and find his own food and shelter, so he was pretty self-willed. Dog just loved the taste of the inside of a cat.

Training is everything. Start with something with four legs, eyes and a nose, and some hunting genes, even if a bit of a mix. If it's got enough brains to be taught, the dog should hunt.

Love the GSP pup. Sure miss old Dutch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom