• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    It has been rough watching all those houses go up. I couldn't see another house from anywhere on the property until I was 12. If I won the lottery, I'd end up broke from buying houses and converting the land back to farming.
    As of last Nov, they had not gotten approval. Pretty happy about that. My family has just under 100 acres in preservation in Lisbon. When my grandparents pass, one part of the family would have pushed very hard to pull it out and sell it for as much as possible. Zero interest in farming or even being part of the family.

That is pretty much how it goes. Usually, the landowner dies and the kids sell the place because they would rather have the money than the headache of owning a farm. Pleasantly surprised that did not happen back in 2005 when the owner of the farm I hunt on in Howard County passed on. Now, the previous year, the lady that owns the farm in Washington County that I hunt on passed away, and her son has been trying to sell it ever since. Wish I had the money to buy it, but he is asking a pretty penny for it.

Yeah, it hasn't been easy for me either to watch the homes go up around the farm I hunt. We get visits from DNR every once in a while because those homes call it in. More so when they first went up. Now, I think they realize that no matter how many times they send DNR out, we are legal and going to keep coming back. Only way they can get us to stop coming back is by making it illegal to discharge a firearm on that farm for the purpose of hunting. Granted, in 2008 an ordinance was passed to prevent the discharge of a firearm anywhere in Howard County for target practice, other than at a licensed range. So, that has pretty much stopped.

If you win the lottery, you would be better served just buying additional farm land. Waste of money to buy perfectly good homes and plow them down, because before you know it, your farmland will be surrounded by homes once again. It would have to be one heck of a lottery for you to keep up the process.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Oh I know its a pipe dream unless I hit a big powerball. It would take 60-70 million just to buy all the houses on the two old farms. Even if the FD used the structures for training it would probably take another 30 million to clear the debris and fill the basements in. Nothing wrong with dreaming though :) .

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I never saw your orig post or I'da pointed you towards Kelly. He does most of my stuff. Real good work, sometimes takes awhile but you get what you pay for. Jason has been getting much better customer reviews in the past few years. I have a couple friends that use him and they are happy.

There are yotes in every county. A Black bear was roaming several properties in western MOCO just last 2 seasons. I've seen a Bobcat cross the road in upper HOCO. See dead mink in MOCO, HOCO, and Carroll every year. Got my first and only mink in South Carroll over 5 years ago. Saw yotes trying to chase down a fawn out side Mt. Airy 5 or 6 years ago also. Had an acquaintance come face to face with a yote trying to steal his deer in Gaithersburg over 8 years ago.

The more urban sprawl with green space intermixed creates good travel corridors and less forestation to hide in. Lack of hunting access with increase sighting and maybe conflicts.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Fabs: They were part of the push to allow mulching and other activities on farmland. I assume they withdrew the app because they knew they would lose (at least 2 groups denied or recommended denying) and wanted to focus on that. That is 100% speculation from the articles I could find.
    Cww: It did take longer then estimated, but I figured the tannery was backed up. The fur market wasn't great and quite a few people on a trapping forum I'm on were getting lower quality fur tanned and only sending their best to the auctions.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Give it some time. I am sure one or two yotes will cross the bay bridge during the night and then you will have more of them than you ever wanted. I was shocked when a buddy of mine shot one by Sugarloaf Mountain around 2005. Was shocked again when I saw one here last year. In another 10 years, I'll be out to visit you and lo and behold, shocked again. Overboost, get the rifle, get the rifle man. There is a yote in your front yard. Can you make the shot? lol

Are you the boogeyman? I think I can make the shot. I have the IR light mounted and ready to go. What will the neighbors think? :rolleyes:

It has been rough watching all those houses go up. I couldn't see another house from anywhere on the property until I was 12. If I won the lottery, I'd end up broke from buying houses and converting the land back to farming.
    As of last Nov, they had not gotten approval. Pretty happy about that. My family has just under 100 acres in preservation in Lisbon. When my grandparents pass, one part of the family would have pushed very hard to pull it out and sell it for as much as possible. Zero interest in farming or even being part of the family.

That is sad, but there will be less and less farmers every year. Kids nowadays...sheesh. Such beautiful country out there. When I went to school out there, we Glenelg boys were known as redneck farmers to everyone else, and they hated us for it.

Yes you do.

How well do they doggie paddle? I have tried to find anyone that has seen one on the Island, but I certainly know it is possible that they are here.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Are you the boogeyman? I think I can make the shot. I have the IR light mounted and ready to go. What will the neighbors think? :rolleyes:

That is sad, but there will be less and less farmers every year. Kids nowadays...sheesh. Such beautiful country out there. When I went to school out there, we Glenelg boys were known as redneck farmers to everyone else, and they hated us for it.

How well do they doggie paddle? I have tried to find anyone that has seen one on the Island, but I certainly know it is possible that they are here.

You are on the Eastern Shore. You want me to believe you have neighbors? lol Assuming arguendo that you do have neighbors, they would just think, "There goes another one of them redneck boys spotlighting deer again" or "That was one heck of a backfire there."

Not only that, but you could always be courteous to your imaginary neighbors and use a can on the rifle. I hear they are available for purchase nowadays and they are a must have item.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    There are coyotes all over Harford county, but I don't know anyone yet to point anyone anywhere. The only possible I got was a guy who hunts some place not far from me and he has to be with me if I am to try trapping the pack of coyotes at this farm. Some crap about a hunting lease or grumpy landowner or something. The hunting lease "me only" crap needs to stop, or the coyotes will kill their hunting. Let trappers and fur hunters in on these farms for goodness sakes. Trapping k9's CAN work in deer season since it's at points in a field out in the open, often some distance from the wood edge, but the deer hunters are often after this or that buck and want nobody there every day.

In fact it is a PIA trying to find places to trap for me now, as the way in is knowing someone who knows someone. I don't know anyone who hunts xx farms and knows xxxxx landowners/farmers. Ok one guy, but he asked the farmer he knows- they already have a trapper. Then this other guy who mentioned the farm full of coyotes, but he would have to be with me IF he can get permission for me to be there. I only talked to him once though. I'm more interested in Cecil county, the red foxes still run there. My old places in north balto co got drained of foxes due to the mere presence of coyotes, and there weren't many coons to trap, and mink is only feasible when combined with other critters. I lost the Deer Creek location due to some BS with landowner, poachers, and DNR assholes. I was there under permission of the lease farmer, the landowner living in FL. Moot point anyway, since I moved. I'd love to get something that feeds right into Deer Creek over this way.

Anyone know what's up with mink in Cecil? Are there any other than maybe along the Susquehanna? Yes there are coyotes in Cecil, including around Port Deposit. They can swim across the river where it narrows, or walk on the ice when it freezes across like last winter.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    You are on the Eastern Shore. You want me to believe you have neighbors? lol Assuming arguendo that you do have neighbors, they would just think, "There goes another one of them redneck boys spotlighting deer again" or "That was one heck of a backfire there."

Not only that, but you could always be courteous to your imaginary neighbors and use a can on the rifle. I hear they are available for purchase nowadays and they are a must have item.

LOL, Cecil is as redneck as can be on this. When asking the closest neighbors if they didn't mind me shooting once in a while, the first one gave me a strange look then mentioned the other neighbor's shooting range down the hill. He looked like a hillbilly and frankly didn't care if anyone was target shooting. The other neighbor is a grumpy old lady but even she didn't care "everyone around here shoots, I'm used to it". There's another neighbor further down who also has a range, and the neighbors next to the grumpy lady don't care either. Funny thing is north Balto co was like this too. Very libertarian area there.

I'd sure love some cans! But there's no dealer/smiths in my area, plus the costs and headaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom