.40 S&W pet loads with Alliant Power Pistol powder...??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Anyone using Power Pistol for their .40 S&W loads..?? More specifically I'm interested in 155 and 165 gr. jacketed and/or plated bullet loads.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    7.5-8gr under a 155gr XTP, accurate load, and pretty fast. I love the powder for hot auto caliber loads, 40, 10mm, 38super, 45 super, 460 Rowland.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    7.5-8gr under a 155gr XTP, accurate load, and pretty fast. I love the powder for hot auto caliber loads, 40, 10mm, 38super, 45 super, 460 Rowland.

Thanks for the recipe. When you say "XTP" I'm assuming you mean X-treme plated..?? Have you ever run any of these 7.5-8 gr. loads thru a chrono, and if so what kind of velocity were you getting...??

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thanks for the recipe. When you say "XTP" I'm assuming you mean X-treme plated..?? Have you ever run any of these 7.5-8 gr. loads thru a chrono, and if so what kind of velocity were you getting...??

Yes, Hornady XTP, use them for pretty most of my hot loads, it does very well at high velocities, tough bullet, very accurate, and really forgiving. I use Xtreme plated bullets for most bulk light-medium loads. a 155gr at 8gr is most accurate, and clocks around 1150FPS from my 4.5" XDM, 1100 from my 3.42" G27, wonderfull all around load at moderate velocity. The Hornady and Alliant published max with this load is 9gr@1215FPS, so there is plenty of room to go, I have loaded up to that with XTPs, definitely a full power load, nearly as accurate, and being most of these would be fired through my little G27, I'm not looking to push top velocities, have other pistols for that.

Last edited:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    XTP = eXtreme Terminal Performance from Hornady. And the only round I use Power Pistol in is the 10mm. But your goals with the 40 are different than mine.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Yes, Hornady XTP, use them for pretty most of my hot loads, it does very well at high velocities, tough bullet, very accurate, and really forgiving. I use Xtreme plated bullets for most bulk light-medium loads. a 155gr at 8gr is most accurate, and clocks around 1150FPS from my 4.5" XDM, 1100 from my 3.42" G27, wonderfull all around load at moderate velocity. The Hornady and Alliant published max with this load is 9gr@1215FPS, so there is plenty of room to go, I have loaded up to that, definitely a full power load, nearly as accurate, and being most of these would be fired through my little G27, I'm not looking to push top velocities, have other pistols for that.

Great info thanks! I made up some loads using the Xtreme 155 gr. plated and 7.8 grs. of Power Pistol which I shot at the steel shoot @ AGC last weekend, they were very accurate out of my Glock 22, although a bit "flashy", but were hitting the steel hard, so they definitely had a good "thump" factor. :D

Have not chrono'd these yet, but based on your results with 8.0 grs. I'd say 1100 fps or so out of my G22 is a reasonable estimation, and aside from a bit of flash they were very controllable recoil wise. Seems like a good load and I'll probably stick with it, thanks again for the input.

noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    You will still check loads with a manual and start at the start load and not take short cuts?
    This is even more important with .40S&W, which has a tendency to throw pressure spiked and KBs at unsuspecting reloaders.
    My pet loads are all for accuracy and not for action pistol use, per se.
    155gn bullets:
    MG 155 JFP, 8.1gn Power Pistol
    MG 155 JFP, 8.8gn Silhouette (sub-1" at 25 yards)
    155gn L-SWC, 6.8gn AA5
    155gn L-SWC, 6.7gn Power Pistol
    155gn L-SWC, 6.5gn Silhouette
    155gn L-SWC, 8.0gn 571/HS7 (sub-1" at 25 yards)

165gn bullets:
    165gn L-TC, 4.5-5.5gn Power Pistol
    165gn L-TC, 5.4gn Silhouette
    165gn L-TC, 6.1gn Unique
    165gn P-RN, 7.2gn Power Pistol and 6.7gn WSF (the only plated bullet loads to go under 3" at 25 yards)
    165gn Gold Dot, 8.5gn AA5
    170gn XTP, 7.0 HS6 (sub-1" at 25 yards, with one 5-shot group being 0.25")

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I've been reloading on and off for 45+ yrs. and I never take "shortcuts" but it's sound advice all the same. Referencing my previous post from this one, I didn't just select 7.8 gr of Power Pistol with a 155 gr. plated bullet as a start load, I made up about 50 or using 7.0 grs., they were quite mild shooting and chrono'd an average of 1035 fps. plus they left a lot of burnt powder staining on the fired cases, which in my experience is generally an indication of a light load, so I felt comfortable bumping it up to 7.8 grs., which just happens to be the next cavity up on my Lee auto disk powder measure, otherwise I'd probably have tried 7.5 grs.

I have two different published manuals, Lyman's 50th and Speer #14, both of which I reference frequently during load development. I wouldn't trust someones pet load as a sole point of reference when working up a load, but I often like to ask people what their pet loads are for this or that powder/bullet combination, just as a means of "comparing notes" so to speak.

Thanks for all the responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom