• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    What's a good (fair) price for a new Colt LE6920 upper, complete with BCG and charging handle, F marked front sight tower, and no handguards..??

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    don't put it on a post 10-1-13 lower.

Right, I have that covered, but it never hurts to be reminded. Out of 10 AR-15's only one is post 2013 and I haven't built it out yet, although I have a brand new stainless 20" HBAR upper ready to mount on it when I do.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Any Colt guys here want to help with another price check? What about a 6920 SOCOM 16" upper (the original one with KAC rail)?

Good question. I have one but I don't think I would ever sell it unless I was desperate. Then again, I have a hard time selling any gun. Interested in hearing an estimated value though.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Any Colt guys here want to help with another price check? What about a 6920 SOCOM 16" upper (the original one with KAC rail)?

Rare barrel commercially and towards the end of the commercial run of the SOCOMs they went to a more inexpensive Troy rail IIRC, so the KAC version should be worth a little bit more. The complete rifles in new condition when available are going for around $1500 on GB so I would say around 800 for an excellent condition or new but secondhand used SOCOM upper. Just a guess.

The commercial SOCOM guns were also rollmarked M4A1 unlike regular 6920's so an upper without its original lower is not worth as much to collectors.

There is an LE 6920HB (Heavy Barrel) in very limited production now with standard plastic handguards. It is basically a 6920 with a SOCOM barrel without the rail. They will not be called SOCOM's though. Those could be a very limited release, I know some will come out but I am not sure how many or for how long. They are being marketed and advertised as heavy barrels however.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Rare barrel commercially and towards the end of the commercial run of the SOCOMs they went to a more inexpensive Troy rail IIRC, so the KAC version should be worth a little bit more. The complete rifles in new condition when available are going for around $1500 on GB so I would say around 800 for an excellent condition or new but secondhand used SOCOM upper. Just a guess.

The commercial SOCOM guns were also rollmarked M4A1 unlike regular 6920's so an upper without its original lower is not worth as much to collectors.

There is an LE 6920HB (Heavy Barrel) in very limited production now with standard plastic handguards. It is basically a 6920 with a SOCOM barrel without the rail. They will not be called SOCOM's though. Those could be a very limited release, I know some will come out but I am not sure how many or for how long. They are being marketed and advertised as heavy barrels however.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. Just picked one up the other day. Only downside is it's missing the original Matech rear sight (currently wearing a Magpul BUIS) and missing the Colt BCG (has a FN BCG instead). Even with that, I think I still got a pretty good deal. It has the original rail, KAC rail covers, and the KAC vertical foregrip. I'll slowly keep my eye out for deals on a BCM bolt and Matech sight to eventually make it correct.

Are the SOCOM barrels still considered HBAR under current law? Or does it need to stay on a pre-2013 lower?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County

This is very interesting. I got ahold of a few Colt Socom 14.5" barrels new in packaging a while back and held on to a few.

By rights, if Colt advertises the Socom profile as HBAR wouldn't that open up the Socom profile to being legal in Md? Assuming they were pinned and welded to comply with the 16" rule.

Those barrels are not as thick under a handguard as a 6721, but they are certainly thicker than a 6920 barrel.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

Attachments

• Colt 6920.jpg
      Colt 6920.jpg
      138.3 KB · Views: 283

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    No, they would not be HBAR.

I think they would be but I do not have a formal ruling from MSP. They have been clear with me in the past that they consider anything advertised as, stamped, or otherwise indicated in writing to be an HBAR by the manufacturer, to be such for purposes of the law.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    I think they would be but I do not have a formal ruling from MSP. They have been clear with me in the past that they consider anything advertised as, stamped, or otherwise indicated in writing to be an HBAR by the manufacturer, to be such for purposes of the law.

This is my impression as well. Colt advertises their SOCOM uppers as "Heavy barrels." I have this page printed out and carried with me:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=613977

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Colt SOCOM barrels are MD legal. Colt advertised them as HBAR's on their website and MSP says marked or advertised by the MANUFACTURER as prerequisites.

The Socom would probably be the only Colt I would buy new.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    A 6920 SOCOM is my home defense rig.

I tried to get a 6920 SOCOM upper when cheaper than dirt had them for $500ish but they wouldn't ship to Maryland. :(

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

This is my impression as well. Colt advertises their SOCOM uppers as "Heavy barrels." I have this page printed out and carried with me:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=613977

Colt SOCOM barrels are MD legal. Colt advertised them as HBAR's on their website and MSP says marked or advertised by the MANUFACTURER as prerequisites.

The Socom would probably be the only Colt I would buy new.

I stand corrected, I guess. This is good news for those that want one. Since it doesn't say it on the barrel I assumed that they were not HBAR. I will print out that piece on the website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom