Best way to heat a tent in 40* /20mph wind weather?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hey All,

The fam and I are camping out on the Bay this weekend and it's looking like the worst case scenario is for low 40's and possible gusts up to 20mph where we're going. We have what i would call a 3 season tent, and last fall we camped inland in similar weather and the wife was cold - kids and I fine. How cold was she? well by nights end we had bundled her up in 2 (supposedly) 0* rated sleeping bags from Costco - I know I know, but that purchase at least got her outta the house and on to the trail!

For the sake of civility, I'm thinkin of investing in a tent heater of some sort for our 3 season tent. Question is, what are my options? I've only heard about Coleman Catalytic heaters, but are there other options to consider? Oh and no, I won't be lighting a Dakota Fire Hole inside the tent! Tent is well ventilated btw.

Advice? TIA, --JB

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    Hand warmers by her feet, a cot or sleeping pad, and a fuzzy fleece blanket for head and shoulders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Mr. Heater Big Buddy
    UT8NYmbXJXXXXagOFbXw.jpg

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    Use a couple of rocks to build a platform so the tent won't melt. Stick a large rock very close to your camp fire. At bed time put that rock on your plateform. Free heat no money spent.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Spend the money on a good sleeping bag. You can also put a blue tarp over the tent before you put on the rainfly. Make sure she's also on a good quality pad to keep her off the ground. No heater needed.

I've done into the 20's set up that way.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    good sleeping bag and warm clothes.

heat the tent and you will likely end up sweating or having condensation issues. make sure you have a rain fly or a tarp- you do not want the mesh vents allowing cold air in.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Get her in some milsurp ECWS base layer and intermediate layers. I DARE her to be cold in those. :)

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Make sure she's also on a good quality pad to keep her off the ground. No heater needed.

This ^

Put an air gap between her and the ground, that is where you lose most of your heat.

We take (for extended stay) a Coleman Queen Size air-mattress for my Wife and the littlest kids. It puts 8" of air between her and the ground.

But then again shes cold when its 75 out :innocent0

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Scotch? Bourbon? Beans?

I also wouldn't heat the inside of the tent. Ground insulation and trapped air (multiple layers, relatively loose, with a snug base layer) will get you through the night.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    +1 on the milsurp ECWS poly pro long underwear. That stuff is great.

Best investment is a good quality sleeping bag. Make sure you have a sleeping mat to put under it...it's insulation against the cold ground more than comfort. You can also buy milsurp bivy sacks now...think of it as a sleeping bag for your sleeping bag. That extra layer of insulation can take you to another ten degrees or so.

Also, make sure you change all your clothes if you choose to wear any in the sleeping bag. This is the most important in my opinion. Even if you think you're dry...there is perspiration trapped in those clothes that will draw heat away from your body in the evening. This is especially important if those clothes are cotton. Put on dry wool socks and the poly pro long underwear and she'll be snug as a bug.

Wool retains most of it's heating ability when wet and poly pro wicks perspiration away from your skin.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville

Best investment is a good quality sleeping bag. Make sure you have a sleeping mat to put under it...it's insulation against the cold ground more than comfort. You can also buy milsurp bivy sacks now...think of it as a sleeping bag for your sleeping bag. That extra layer of insulation can take you to another ten degrees or so.

Also, make sure you change all your clothes if you choose to wear any in the sleeping bag. This is the most important in my opinion. Even if you think you're dry...there is perspiration trapped in those clothes that will draw heat away from your body in the evening. This is especially important if those clothes are cotton. Put on dry wool socks and the poly pro long underwear and she'll be snug as a bug.

Wool retains most of it's heating ability when wet and poly pro wicks perspiration away from your skin.

bivy sack makes all the difference. easy to sleep with no tent down pretty cold.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Get a hotel, set up the tent in the room for you and the kids if you want, probably what she wants you to do anyway.

315209410_5e4e727589_z.jpg

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013

I think I got mine from Sportsmansguide but don't recall for sure. I have the polypro base layer and the grid fleece mid layer. The grid fleece mid layer even came with a separate hood/face mask. Between all that and the MSSS 4 piece sleep system (2 bags and a gore tex bivy), I am pretty sure I could sleep outside in the arctic.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Good sleeping bag and a cot. Keep off of the ground. That will make you more cold than anything else. Be careful with the propane heaters. We almost all died when one malfunctioned during a hunting trip. Drink plenty of hot beverages, stay away from alcohol.

Good luck!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Lots of cold weather camping experience here and in no way would I ever put a heater in a tent. Focus on insulating her. Good breathable layers of clothes, a good zero/sub-zero rated sleeping bag, and a good sleep mat beneath it. Also add a good heavy tarp under the tent to keep ground moisture out. Make sure she doesn't get too warm and sweat either as the sweat will cool down and end up making her colder with damp clothes.

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    I got a couple old army down Mountain bags I can let you use. Stuff it inside the Costco bag. I dare you to be cold.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Ok

Stay on the ground with a closed cell foam pad. If still using the same bags use the chemical hand warmers in the bag. I forget how long they last just crack another when it's time. Also changing into fresh pajamas, flannel or down, for sleeping only is good and don't forget the wool socks or down booties.. Put a warm hat on. Since it's not that cold exhale into the bag to kick start the heat then just expose your mouth and nose from the opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom