• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tjohn55

LDO for CNO!
    Jan 13, 2016
    Willards, MD
    SO - my wife and I are bailing out of Baltimore County and have purchased a renovated house on New Hope Road in Willards on 1.01 acres. Smack dab in the middle of farm country. There is a large farm area (50+ acres) directly to the rear and right of my property. There is a house to the left - possibly closer than 150 yards away. We'd LOVE to shoot on our property - .22lr, .45, 9mm, .380 but am having a hard time finding laws concerning shooting on private property. Best I can come u with is you have to be 150 yards from the nearest dwelling or have written permission from the owner of the dwelling if less than the 150 yards.

For all you folks in Wicomico, what are your experiences? What does the county allow? Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!
    tj

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I would just go out there and do what you want to do however with a house close by I would be courteous of what his happening over there. There is nothing worse than listening to someone bang away all day right outside when someones trying to have a birthday party or something when all you have to do is get to know a few people and then be allowed to shoot on your neighbors ground. That will happen with time and its a small world on the shore. Ask the people next door, and they may not care either.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Just make nice with neighbors. Tell them you like to shoot and you are safe and experienced. You wanted to know if there are times you should refrain and would they like to join you.

Hard to believe it would be an issue in the country here on the shore.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    People here shoot in their backyards all the time. have at it. If in doubt talk with the sheriff dept. Welcome to the shore.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Grew up on the shore, live here now.
    As previous posters have written, rural backyard shooting is commonplace on the shore. Definitely you want to get to know your close by neighbors before you go banging away. I know several people who have built berms for backstops after looking at which direction to shoot avoids structures and roads. Who knows, your neighbor may have a tractor with a bucket and can help you make a berm backstop in return for being able to use it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Grew up on the shore, live here now.
    As previous posters have written, rural backyard shooting is commonplace on the shore. Definitely you want to get to know your close by neighbors before you go banging away. I know several people who have built berms for backstops after looking at which direction to shoot avoids structures and roads. Who knows, your neighbor may have a tractor with a bucket and can help you make a berm backstop in return for being able to use it.

Or if he has already done so on his own property, he may invite you to shoot there if its an even safer location.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Congrats
    FYI, your not far from Gunsmoke range/shop and Arthur's shooting supply
    Both worth checking out but just realize they are country establishments and not a Guntry club or Nordstroms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Are you in town or out. 1AC (160'x272.25') doesn't have room for berms but your near some good ranges.

Reason I ask, some of New Hope is "in" town. Your tax bill will tell you.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I still wouldn't worry about it unless I was near the school when it was occupied or unless someone was at the church if there's one close. If an ag disclosure was involved during settlement I would be looking for a pile of sand to build for pistol shooting. New Hope Rd is covered in farms and some probably related to the "crooks".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom