• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I just picked up a new Ruger Super Blackhawk in .30 Carbine...it should be a real flamethrower. My question is from looking the revolver over closely. The barrel is devoid of markings other than the usual Ruger warning statement and company address...which is on the underside of the barrel and the Ruger address is partially obscured by the ejector rod housing. The sides of the barrel are smooth..no roll marks of any kind.

Also...the caliber is marked on the receiver. I'm under the impression that the law specifies the caliber must be marked on the barrel.

Is this an anomaly or factory error of some kind? I'm not looking at this as being collectible or more valuable...I simply am curious about it. If nothing else I know I can call Ruger and ask...maybe the best course of action.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just sayin' , that's not a *Super* Blackhawk, but a "plain" Blackhawk. A New Model if it has transfer bar from original equipment ( aka safe with all six ) , and Old Model if has three screws on side of frame.

And to confuse things further, to this day, Ruger offers no cost retrofitting of transfer bar system to Old Model guns . Unconverted Old Models will have multiple clicks as you draw back the hammer, New Models and Converted will just be full down, and full cock.

Old Models had a standard size frame, and a slightly larger frame for the Super in .44Mag .New Models all use same (larger) frame size, albeit with the snapper grip frames , and standard hammer shape.

Which is " better " ?

Old Models feel and balance closer to SAA , while New Mdl is slightly larger and heavier . Some people feel very strongly , others don't care.

New Models have more steel in cylinder , but not an issue in .30Carb ( or really anything other than .45 Colt ).

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Old Models had a standard size frame, and a slightly larger frame for the Super in .44Mag .New Models all use same (larger) frame size

True about the NMs having the same larger frame size regardless of caliber.

However, only the OM 357s were built on the smaller frame. The OM 41s, 45s, and 30 Carbines all shared the Super sized frame as the 44s.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I looked at one about 15 yrs ago and remember thinking that it looked like A-lot of fun. Does anyone know off the top of their head what kind of velocities you can expect from a .30 carbine out of a 7 1/2" barrel?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I looked at one about 15 yrs ago and remember thinking that it looked like A-lot of fun. Does anyone know off the top of their head what kind of velocities you can expect from a .30 carbine out of a 7 1/2" barrel?

Hodgdon Reloading Data Center on-line would tell you.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    out of an 18" carbine barrel you are looking at 1900 fps. This round is in the same configuration and pressure range as the rimmed magnum handgun rounds. I would gander about 1350 to 1500 fps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom