• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    It's a Shooting Range not a Library and there are signs on the way into the Range that state Ear/Eyes required in both Words and Symbols for those who can't or willn't read English, after all it is located in PG county there a wide range of customers who do not speak English many that were born in the local area.

22Short or 50 BMG shooters option.:rolleyes:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    My Saiga 12's have brakes. They even blow my hair back. 3" magnum slugs really raise a ruckus. No one up or down the line has complained, of course I shoot with big boys and girls, the ones who are mature enough to have their earpro in place before they go through the double entry doors...and to ensure one door is completely closed before opening the next one.

May 13, 2005
    Indoor range. And yeah, he and his group o' buddies had some other nice habits, one handed revolver/handgun shooting, etc. Not sideways at least, but still one handed.

What's wrong with shooting a handgun with one hand? That's a damn good skill to have, especially with your off hand.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    What's wrong with shooting a handgun with one hand? That's a damn good skill to have, especially with your off hand.

Exactly. Anyone who is ever planning on using a handgun for self defense should be practicing that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    Good to see these. I shoot one-handed all the time with my dominant and non-dominant hands. Didn't know if I was committing some kind of faux pas...

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Should have explained a little more, I don't think they were practicing disciplined one handed shooting as for self defense. Just bro's broing out. Not that's anything wrong with that. It was great to watch them jump when that 308 went though.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    Me personally I don't care. The louder and more obnoxious the better.I shoot my plr 16 and my ak pistol with a 7in barrel both with breaks there. I've had people in the waiting area come in the lane just to see what is going on. I always will be polite and warn the guy next to me this is gonna be loud. 9 times out of 10 they want to shoot it too.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This.

Several indoor ranges around here now allow up to 50BMG indoors. Which makes the walls shake, and you 100% need a brake for that. Also, if you are next to a guy shooting 50 bmg outdoors (been there done that at AGC on a crowded day), its not better outdoors. I have also been peppered with hot brass from a mini-14. It is what it is. If you go to a public range, you may not like the company. I am sure I have given lots of wind and peppered people with brass too. I have brakes on almost all my rifles, including my AR. I even found one for my slug gun. Brakes are excellent technology. Haters and luddites are going to hate.

Brakes or no brakes, its deafening at an indoor range, I always double up.

Do I need a brake? No. Besides the fact thats its my constitutional right to own whatever i want because **** you, they also make follow up shots offhand much quicker. And also they look bad ass.

I wouldn’t consider it unless something was really heavy recoil just because a fair amount of my stuff I use for hunting where ear protection is unlikely. That and even at the range it is kinder on me. I am not using any of my guns for competition. I prefer linear comps/blast forwarders to reduce shooter volume.

But I don’t look sideways at guys with brakes. Well, I did judge the crap out of the one guy I saw with a 10/22 and triple barrel brake a few months ago.

Ap1026

Jul 25, 2017
    Me personally I don't care. The louder and more obnoxious the better.I shoot my plr 16 and my ak pistol with a 7in barrel both with breaks there. I've had people in the waiting area come in the lane just to see what is going on. I always will be polite and warn the guy next to me this is gonna be loud. 9 times out of 10 they want to shoot it too.

I do the same exact thing when I shoot my ak pistol. I'll warn the people next to me. I like when people give me a heads up but at the same time I realize we are in a shooting range so some guns will be loud.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    I was shooting at an indoor range and the guy in the booth to my left was extending his pistol beyond the booth divider. His ejecting cartridges were bouncing off the booth divider to my right and several hit me on the head. I tapped him on the shoulder and mentioned that his brass was going to my side and hitting me. He just shrugged and said that they ejected to the right and nothing he can do about it. Actually if he took 1 step back his cartridges would bounce of the divider to my left and not strike me but might hit him.

When I got home, I installed a muzzle brake on one of my ARs . The muzzle flash will definitely discourage a repeat of what happened to me the last time.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    At the two closest ranges to me, I've had the "pleasure" of someone shooting a 500S&W revolver. It is very loud. About as loud as my M1a, maybe louder. It doesn't bother me, I'm doubling up on hearing protection, but getting hit in the face with concussion gets annoying. It's all about the indoor shooting experience. I'm sure that the folks next to me really enjoy when I shoot double-taps with my braked ARs. Some day, I'm bringing my braked 300 WinMag.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In the OP's situation, the other party's passed multiple signs warning them to wear ear protection , that part is on them .

Sometimes if I am about to be shooting somthing extra loud , I will give a heads up to the shooters on either side, but that's in the nature of going above & beyond rather than mandatory

The hate for Brakes is because for many of them , the blast to either side is worse than for the shooter .

As mentioned above the redirected blast is a factor to bear in mind for hunting or defense , where there is possibility of needing quick shot w/o ear protection . But a shooting range is a known up front to be noisy , and it is incumbent upon participants and spectators to be protected.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Try going to a public range and being next to someone with a giggle switch, and a brake to control muzzle rise.

And also from the other side getting peppered with .22 LR shells and 9mm cases.

always wear eye and ear protection! On the plus side of a busy public range on a nice sunny Sunday, you meet some great people and shoot cool guns.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    The brake on my 50BMG would have people moving away from me a few times back when you could shoot them at Delmarva. I typically go on Fridays when no one is there and take a bench that isn't next to someone. One time a guy showed up and was the only other person on the line beside my dad and me. For some reason he chose to take the bench next to me. I already had the 50 out and I warned him it would be loud and may get a bit of a blast, but he went on to use the bench anyway. Set all his stuff up and started shooting. I got into another shot, squeezed the trigger and I heard him yell "Stupid mother f**ker" a couple seconds after, then get his stuff and moved. I just had to shake my head. Dad was laughing at him. It's not like I didn't be nice and warn him when he had plenty of other bench options. It is what it is at the range. Most of us do our best to throw out a warning if we are going to have something that may agitate others.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I do not see how firing a pistol one handed is doing anything wrong. Most instructors will suggest practicing one handed shooting.

If you are ever in a combat situation with your handgun, you should be proficient at shooting it with either hand. In many cases, a free hand may be needed for other purposes and it is always possible that an injury could occur to your strong hand.

I generally shoot with both hands for a while, and then work both my strong and weak hands on a couple of mags. It is nice to know if you have certain tendencies with one hand, too. This can identify those so you can correct any bad habits at the safety of a range rather than finding out about them when you are fighting for your life.

As for brakes, I like what they do on my larger rifles but I do not like being next to another shooter using them in some cases. I have been hit in the face with hot gasses and even tasted metal a few times after the shooter next to me has fired at an indoor range. The lanes are usually very close together and because of this, those using them should be distanced from adjacent shooters, IMO.

I have been known to leave an indoor range when those next to me are using them on large caliber weapons and splattering me with debris every time they fire.

That said, I do intend to get one for my Mosin Nagant M-44 but will only be firing that gun at an outdoor range. As a courtesy, I think it would be a good idea for me to alert the shooters next to me so they don't crap themselves when I light it up. I would expect that some of the fireball will be going out to the sides!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom