• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Lab Rescue of the Chesapeake & Potomac. The source for our Dobby. Lower cost and these dogs are trained and need new homes.

https://www.lab-rescue.org/

Aaron

Good with: Kids 10+, Dogs
    Needs:A forever home with a physical/invisible fence

Handsome pup ready for his forever home.
    Aaron is settling in very nicely to his foster home. He and the resident dog have been playing non stop since he arrived. He has a good amount of energy and is great in the car. When not playing with dogs or people, he loves to have his ears rubbed and wants to be near you. He thinks he is a lapdog and will not hesitate to curl up on your lap. He’s going to make someone very happy!

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    OP, what are you looking for? Working, field trial/hunting? Show quality? American type? English? Black? Yellow? Chocolate? Keep in mind any dog you consider should have both parents certified to have good hips and elbows as both dysplasias are common to the breed. Labs can have eye problems and it is normal for good breeders to also have the parents certified to be clear of trouble as well. All this vet work is expensive and adds costs to the breeding program but there is nothing worse than having large vet bills down the road to fix problems that can be bred out of the breed. Because of the extra expense I would be surprised to find a "good" Lab for anything these days at less than $1,000.00 and possibly $2,000.00. Homework here will pay off in the long run.

The kids say they want a yellow lab female. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they chose a male when they go look at a litter. I like the way the English look but maybe something more in between English and American. I’m not looking for a show dog. It’ll be a family pet, and maybe down the road do some hunting.

I’ve seen a lot of certifications for health stuff for labs. I don’t ever remember it being like that many years ago when my parents got theirs. But she ended up with cancer at a young age so I definitely see your points.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I’ve seen a lot of certifications for health stuff for labs. I don’t ever remember it being like that many years ago when my parents got theirs. But she ended up with cancer at a young age so I definitely see your points.

i guess certs don't hurt but i haven't seen them to be predictive for super healthy dogs. our first golden had hip problems despite the certs and our third has knee issues despite the certs and our 2nd died of liver cancer at only 6 despite an impressive bloodline. we haven't done it, at least yet, but thinking a little 'mix' thrown into the 'mix' might really help lessen the chance of hip/knee/eye/etc issues.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    https://westmd.craigslist.org/search/pet?query=lab

Picked up my last three for free. Current youngest is a yellow 3 year old male, underweight, little hair, hyper and squinted when outside because he spent too much time in a dark crate. Got in the truck, he looked me in the eye and licked my face once. Two years later he's the best damn dog ever.

As long as you can tell they aren't mixed bred there isn't much difference in temperment. They all give more love than they receive, ask no questions except wanting to spend time with you and will lean against you or hit your hand when they want attention.

After raising five adults from three puppies and two young dogs I'd also forgo the puppy experience, especially if you haven't done it before. Skip the cute destructive puppy stage and find a dog with a personality that matches yours.

Personally I think if you are spending a lot of money on a dog your priorities are wrong. Lots of pups out there needing love. Seen a lot of pedigree dogs neglected because the owners don't have the time to deal with them, mich less give them attention.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Lab Rescue of the Chesapeake & Potomac. The source for our Dobby. Lower cost and these dogs are trained and need new homes.

https://www.lab-rescue.org/

Aaron

Good with: Kids 10+, Dogs
    Needs:A forever home with a physical/invisible fence

Handsome pup ready for his forever home.
    Aaron is settling in very nicely to his foster home. He and the resident dog have been playing non stop since he arrived. He has a good amount of energy and is great in the car. When not playing with dogs or people, he loves to have his ears rubbed and wants to be near you. He thinks he is a lapdog and will not hesitate to curl up on your lap. He’s going to make someone very happy!

Worth noting that I don't believe they generally adopt to families with children under 10. At least that's what they told us a few years ago.

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    How true is it that mixed breeds of an otherwise hip problem tendency dog will mostly avoid the issue, even with a pure bred parent? There are tons of Lab mix dogs that have all the personality traits and nearly all the appearance of a pure lab. And a dramatic difference in price pays for a lot of dog food and vet bills.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Worth noting that I don't believe they generally adopt to families with children under 10. At least that's what they told us a few years ago.

My oldest is 5 so I don’t think that’d be an option then. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone ever used gundog.com? Looks like a lot have the pedigree’s right there to see along with the parents pictures. Seems like decent prices also.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    From the Lab Rescue website:

Why are most Labs only approved for children age 10 and up?

In an effort to ensure the safety of young children, Lab Rescue requires that a dog has successfully lived in a home with young children to be placed with young children again. The age of the youngest child with whom the dog has lived determines the approved age for adoption. Dogs for whom there is no documented history of living with children are approved for children 10 and up.

This policy takes into consideration that living with young children places many demands on a dog and can include tail pulling, hugging, and other well-intended actions. These actions can be too much for some dogs, while others will thrive on the interaction. The friendliest dogs may also jump up on a child while playing and can easily take a child off his or her feet with no ill intent.

Puppies under 4 months of age may be placed with children of all ages. Careful attention is required as puppies grow, as they can become mouthy and jumpy in their “teenage” months.

In all instances, careful parental supervision is always recommended as a new dog settles into a home.

Because of the demand for dogs approved to live with young children, they will often be placed quickly and may not be posted on this website. To learn more about these dogs, it is best to submit an application and work with an Adoption Coordinator.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    oh wow

They don't have the best reputation for healthy dogs

good to know. Thanks.

Also I was reading that Chocolate labs have more health problems and have the shortest lifespan of the three primary colors. My Biological father got a smaller roan colored one from out in the midwest for duck hunting. She was awesome.

Tod

MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Lab rescue

My 3rd lab. Two chocolates and now my black beauty Nellie short foe Benelli. Field trained and the best dog I ever had.

Attachments

• BBC7D5EC-6073-4939-BAC4-792DF65B8A02.jpg
      BBC7D5EC-6073-4939-BAC4-792DF65B8A02.jpg
      98.2 KB · Views: 273

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Minor derail, but every time I see this thread title pop up I remember this scene:

"Know where you can get a labrador?"

"N-N-N-No..."

"Then shaddap."

:lol:

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    He’ll be here around the 11th of January. Found him and his brother on the gun dog website I mentioned in a previous post. The kids did a switcharoo on me. The brother was yellow like they wanted but when they saw the picture of him they immediately said they changed their minds and wanted him. He’s got an impressive pedigree should we decide to do some field trial stuff. And if not I’m happy with the price anyway so it’s a win win. Shipped from Iowa he was within our original budget. I’d recommend the site to anyone looking.

Now for the fun part, picking a name. Ultimately the kids will choose but what do you guys think? If y’all have some good ones I can tell the kids to see what they think, or give em some ideas. If it helps the sires name is “Drake Bay’s Home Run Hitter” but he go’s by “Hank”. And the moms name is “Landry’s Vermillion Pearl” and she go’s by “Pearl”. The breeder has been calling them Earl and Merle because the two brothers were the only pups of the litter and the moms name is pearl. I thought that was pretty clever but the kids quickly shot down keeping the name.

Attachments

• 3E6ABFA1-DA50-47BC-9761-D2D3AF750B1E.jpg
      3E6ABFA1-DA50-47BC-9761-D2D3AF750B1E.jpg
      56.8 KB · Views: 232

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    He’ll be here around the 11th of January. Found him and his brother on the gun dog website I mentioned in a previous post. The kids did a switcharoo on me. The brother was yellow like they wanted but when they saw the picture of him they immediately said they changed their minds and wanted him. He’s got an impressive pedigree should we decide to do some field trial stuff. And if not I’m happy with the price anyway so it’s a win win. Shipped from Iowa he was within our original budget. I’d recommend the site to anyone looking.

Now for the fun part, picking a name. Ultimately the kids will choose but what do you guys think? If y’all have some good ones I can tell the kids to see what they think, or give em some ideas. If it helps the sires name is “Drake Bay’s Home Run Hitter” but he go’s by “Hank”. And the moms name is “Landry’s Vermillion Pearl” and she go’s by “Pearl”. The breeder has been calling them Earl and Merle because the two brothers were the only pups of the litter and the moms name is pearl. I thought that was pretty clever but the kids quickly shot down keeping the name.

Congrats! Getting a dog is always exciting.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Basically they get some extra health certificates from a vet. He’ll fly into BWI in a crate and I’ll pick him up. I believe they fly in cargo in a crate though, obviously not as a passenger. Lol. I think Delta is one of the main ones that does it.

My brother has been doing dog stuff all around the world for years. He’s flown dogs in from other countries.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    .. .do they train the dogs to hunt squirrel, rabbit.. or anything for that price? i'm looking to train my dog to squirrel hunt with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom