Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Hire a porter :)

I was at a Christmas party a couple weeks ago. Talking to a couple.

He was proclaiming to be a hunter. Just shot his first decent sized buck. It was a good story until he said, " Yeah, I'm not into field dressing and dragging the deer out of the woods. That's why we have guides at the Ranch." The guy is in his mid 40s and just before was telling me about his self sufficiency and how he is trying to instill that in his sons.

Exit, Stage left.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    This!
    https://smile.amazon.com/d/Fishing-Gear-Equipment/Shappell-54-JET-SLED-MULTI-PURPOSE-SLED/B002RWBPQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1545827902&sr=8-1&keywords=plastic+game+sled
    That is what I use here in the mountains of WV. It works very well even when there is no snow. Going down hill in the snow is tricky.

This is the kind I use.It goes up and over downed branches and small logs with ease.Keeps mud and water off your deer.Makes stream crossings easy.When I process deer,all the scraps go into the sled and I drag the sled to the woods and dump it out.

I also use it to drag stuff around the yard....firewood,branches,lawn clippings...etc.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Simple. Shoot them where u can drive to them.

attachment.php

That's a pretty good incline. I don't think I could stay on that even in 4X4.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    We take the deer back to the woods after we are finished playing with it a jet sled. :D

I will say I have drug one of these with 10 geese in it and WOW, hope for snow!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1298.jpg
      IMG_1298.jpg
      76.6 KB · Views: 279

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    A heavier duty plastic flat style kids sled works great. I have a thicker rope for pulling, and drilled holes in the sides and put a thinner rope in them to tie over whatever critter I am dragging. Makes a great difference with a deer. I also use it for trapping.

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    There are new jumper packs for starting cars that are smaller than a box of oreo cookies. For pulling up out of a ravine, I've wanted to try one of them and a small harbor freight winch, both light enough to easily carry in. Strap the winch to a tree and drag it up. Still all theory, but times like that get ya thinking.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Over leaves, but I do not have far to drag.

It's not as easy as a cart, but helps creating a frictionless surface. It's a heck of a lot better than dragging dead weight.

Toss 2 bags of feed corn (topsoil works too) on it and give it a tug, to see if it is to your liking. Take enough drag rope to stitch the cargo to the rear of the sled. Hooking the drag rope to the front of the sled without securing your harvest, is not accomplishing anything.

Mine came with a harness that you can put on your shoulders and waist but it's kinda small for me. I think I might try it with the rope it came with and wrap it around my waist.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    There are new jumper packs for starting cars that are smaller than a box of oreo cookies. For pulling up out of a ravine, I've wanted to try one of them and a small harbor freight winch, both light enough to easily carry in. Strap the winch to a tree and drag it up. Still all theory, but times like that get ya thinking.

Nothing wrong with exploring new technique. Last buck I dragged out of a ravine damned near killed me. And I had help. :sad20:

Bigsawer

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2017
    Cecil
    I remember the pre ATV days, stripping down to long John bottoms and a t shirt in 20° weather, dragging a deer out of that hole....sweating my ass off, heart about to pound out of my chest. That sucked!

A friend of mine grew up hunting in the mountains of N Carolina. I asked him about collecting deer from the bottom. He said most every ravine and creek bed had a road or at least a path at the bottom where something motorized could get in. I'm thinking that's from many years of many generations of hunters saying " you only have to tell me once"

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Most on the property have decent access from the creek at the bottom.

This one stand in particular, is notorious for its inaccessability. If it wasn't such a nice buck (for down there) he said he wouldn't have killed it. Said the slide/tumble seemed to be in slow motion. Luckily my buddy works for a phone company. He has access to miles of bull tape.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Maybe I can use this thread as an excuse to get one of those Rokon 2-wheel drive motorbikes!

Rokons are cool but you can't make money with one.

An ATV with a plow can command $100-$200 per hour pushing snow.

My 12 year old son, last snow, borrowed my ATV to plow the elderly neighbors driveway. The little rapscallion came home 2 hours later with $160 in cash and a check. He knocked on the other neighbors doors asking if they wanted their driveways cleared.

The neighbors were happy, son was happy and I was a proud papa!

(We live on a dead end and there was zero traffic)

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Mine came with a harness that you can put on your shoulders and waist but it's kinda small for me. I think I might try it with the rope it came with and wrap it around my waist.

I wear my treestand safety harness even when hunting from the ground. I put the strap around the sled rope and use a caribeaner to clip the other end to the connector at the bottom back of the harness. Makes it much easier to lean forward and drag, and hands are free to carry my weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom