Glad to see some Sheriffs following the Constitution...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    I guess Sheriffs in other states have a much more expanded police role than here in MD. In Anne Arundel County I think they mainly deal with court stuff (evictions, process server, etc.)

It will be interesting to see how this plays out; as it's only going to get more divisive throughout the US.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I guess Sheriffs in other states have a much more expanded police role than here in MD. In Anne Arundel County I think they mainly deal with court stuff (evictions, process server, etc.)

It will be interesting to see how this plays out; as it's only going to get more divisive throughout the US.

Generally, especially in the south and west, the County Sheriff's department is the police agency that handles routine calls for service, have their own SWAT teams, etc... and handle courtroom security and administer evictions.

A county police force with an appointed chief being the primary law enforcement is a Northeast(ish) thing, generally in larger populated counties.

I'd rather have an elected Sheriff as the CLEO of the county.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ

That's because AA County has a County Police Department to handle most law enforcement. Monkey County is the same way. Here in Fredneck County there's no county police so the Sheriff's Office and MSP handle those duties as well as courthouse security, corrections and process serving, etc. The MSP primarily handles highway patrol but the agreement is the closest officer handles a situation in the county regardless of agency.

I'm a former LEO and I believe there's no reason for a county police force when you already have a Sheriff's Office...it's a lot of duplication of effort and capability. The sole reason for a county police is power. The Chief of Police is appointed by the head of the county council, commission or whatever form government the county has. The Chief is beholden to the head of that government. A Sheriff is beholden to the voters.

In a well run county, all the State Police need to do is highway patrol and little else.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    It really depends on the state. I grew up in Mass and there was an elected police chief in each TOWN. There was also a county sheriff, but they only ran the prison and courthouse (each county had one) the State Police were seldom if ever seen aside from the interstate roads. In fact, that's where all the barracks were located. Of course, technically Mass is NOT a state, its a commonwealth, which may account for the division of LE responsibilities.

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    That's because AA County has a County Police Department to handle most law enforcement. Monkey County is the same way. Here in Fredneck County there's no county police so the Sheriff's Office and MSP handle those duties as well as courthouse security, corrections and process serving, etc. The MSP primarily handles highway patrol but the agreement is the closest officer handles a situation in the county regardless of agency.

I'm a former LEO and I believe there's no reason for a county police force when you already have a Sheriff's Office...it's a lot of duplication of effort and capability. The sole reason for a county police is power. The Chief of Police is appointed by the head of the county council, commission or whatever form government the county has. The Chief is beholden to the head of that government. A Sheriff is beholden to the voters.

In a well run county, all the State Police need to do is highway patrol and little else.

interesting. Never really thoughts of it that way. Then again I've only lived my life in MD, so some things just seem "normal" to me. Like when I tell people I can carry in 42 other states, but not this one unless I'm "working".

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Sadly, in MoCo there's little difference between politicised Chief and Sheriff, as the voters have decided that MD citizens have only the rights granted by the legislators, COTUS notwithstanding.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    From the original post link.

““I-1639 is law,” said one threat posted on Feb. 1. “sheriffs that are non compliant will be shot. by me.”

“Ozzie Knezovich is gonna get a bullet in his skull,” another post said.”

THIS is an example of a guy who wants more gun control???

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads