• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm not sure that this is the best place for this but since it mentions curio and Relic on the application I thought I'd put it here and maybe some of you could give me a bit of direction. I'm filling out my application and on the last line it asks to describe your collection activity. I collect mostly militaria back to the Second World War. I have not been at it very long but I've been told buy a friend who has a substantial collection that being designated a collector will make fairly New found hobby much easier. So how should I fill in that line?

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    All I put down was that I wanted to build my collection. Didn’t give any specifics and was approved.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    It's been a while But I think I just put something like: collecting antique and modern firearms

I really don't think they care what you put down

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I'm not sure that this is the best place for this but since it mentions curio and Relic on the application I thought I'd put it here and maybe some of you could give me a bit of direction. I'm filling out my application and on the last line it asks to describe your collection activity. I collect mostly militaria back to the Second World War. I have not been at it very long but I've been told buy a friend who has a substantial collection that being designated a collector will make fairly New found hobby much easier. So how should I fill in that line?

so I'll add a question so if the new bill passes does it not include c&r meaning they have to go threw a background no more ftf

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I was told way back when to write something to the effect of, "All regulated firearms for all legal purposes" You don't want to pigeon hole yourself.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    so I'll add a question so if the new bill passes does it not include c&r meaning they have to go threw a background no more ftf

The law exempts C&R license holders. However federal law all you need to be is a C&R holder as the buyer. Under the proposed MD law the buyer AND seller must be C&R license holders. I am not sure it makes a distinction of seller FFL-01 and buyer FFL-03.

There don’t appear to be provisions excepting the 7-day wait and 1 per 30 day. I don’t read the intent of the law is applying a 7-day wait and 1 per 30 on C&R license holders for C&R firearms. But intent, what the law says and what MSP says the interpretation is are three different things.

We will find out what it all says and means eventually. I am still hoping it is withdrawn and never sees the light of day again.

To be clear a designated collector only helps you with regulated firearms (this includes C&R handguns, you just don’t need an HQL to buy C&R handguns) by exempting you from the 1 per 30 day or 2 in 60 limit.

The LQGL proposed law does not recognize designated collectors status for long guns.

If I were a betting man, the rework of the law is going to take too long and too many other frogs to boil. They’ll rewrite it to bring long guns in to line with handguns for all intents and purposes (same license probably, just under 21 can’t buy handguns), probably recognize designated collectors and maybe do things like specifically exempt C&R holders from 7-day waits and stuff.

No floppy idea though. During the hearing it seemed like there were a few dem law makers who seemed thoughtful and/or admitted some changes needed to be made to the proposed law. So I really doubt they will try to pass it as written.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    Don't think it matters too much what you put there all of the above suggestions will work just fine, but being less specific is better. Beware being designated as a collector will not limit you to one purchase a month or two for a six month period, so unless you are very disciplined start saving$$$

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I was told way back when to write something to the effect of, "All regulated firearms for all legal purposes" You don't want to pigeon hole yourself.

This^^...I think I got the letter in about 2 weeks.

KyleRogue

Nov 19, 2017
    Westminster
    I've had my 03 FFL for about six months now and I have been debating whether or not I should get the Maryland Designated Collector or not.

I doubt I will ever want to purchase more than one C&R gun in Maryland in a month (if ever), yet in the application I will be informing the MSP I am building up a collection of firearms ... in a state that persists in attacking 2A rights.

For the 03 FFL all I had to do was send a copy of the application to the local sheriff who is all pro-2A.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    DC costs a stamp and less than 10 minutes of your life...why not do it? Imagine you just made a purchase, then stumble onto a great deal on the holy grail of your wish list...the pistol you would find a way to pay for if you ever saw it. Or suppose you found an estate sale where they just wanted to get rid of a bunch of guns at stupid low prices...you wouldn't want to be limited to just one $200 Python, would you?

You're already "in the system," it's not like you can hide anything anyway.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    DC costs a stamp and less than 10 minutes of your life...why not do it? Imagine you just made a purchase, then stumble onto a great deal on the holy grail of your wish list...the pistol you would find a way to pay for if you ever saw it. Or suppose you found an estate sale where they just wanted to get rid of a bunch of guns at stupid low prices...you wouldn't want to be limited to just one $200 Python, would you?

You're already "in the system," it's not like you can hide anything anyway.

Exactly. And with a C&R purchasing out of state or whatever, you are still legally bound by Maryland’s no more than 1 per 30 or 2 in 60 without a DC. Will MSP ever find out? Probably not. However you are still in violation of the law if you don’t have a DC status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom