• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shrubberypig

Nov 21, 2019
    I'm sitting on about 135 days right now. No information from my last call about why the process is taking this long. I did receive the 90 day extension letter over a month ago.

Anybody else on this long a timeline, or have one that was submitted around July that they've gotten back by now? I'm worried they're just going to run out the clock and I've got almost two months left to wait.

joyd69

Jan 18, 2017
    P.G. County
    I'm sitting on about 135 days right now. No information from my last call about why the process is taking this long. I did receive the 90 day extension letter over a month ago.

Anybody else on this long a timeline, or have one that was submitted around July that they've gotten back by now? I'm worried they're just going to run out the clock and I've got almost two months left to wait.

guessing I will not get mine until May (birthday gift to me) :lol2:

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    If anyone was wondering — DC renewals via the MPD online portal took one day to be approved and renewed permit was in my hand a couple days later via first class mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrubberypig

Nov 21, 2019
    I’ve called a few times. They said they are under an audit so they’ve been slowed significantly. I submitted in late July.

That’s helpful to know, thanks for posting. Not helpful about the process though, very frustrating. The extension 90 day clock for me expires the first week of January. I’m resigning myself to having to wait until then. Meanwhile it’s costing me money in dual CCW insurance policies and peace of mind in the dicey area I live in.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

Everyone I know got theirs in 90 or less unless there was either something very unusual about about their training or they had some prior legal issue

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    I was 100 days with zero legal issues and training from a DC approved instructor.

Doesn’t the statute require that if they go over 90 days it can only be under the need for additional / extraordinary investigation and they have to notice you in writing with the reason (not that anyone short of a Federal court would enforce it)?

When I first got mine it was during the initial shall issue crush, but when it went a few days over 90 I emailed Chief Newsham. He replied, apologized and said permits should be issued in 90 days CCing then LT Hall, and a few days later it was in my mailbox.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Doesn’t the statute require that if they go over 90 days it can only be under the need for additional / extraordinary investigation and they have to notice you in writing with the reason (not that anyone short of a Federal court would enforce it)?

When I first got mine it was during the initial shall issue crush, but when it went a few days over 90 I emailed Chief Newsham. He replied, apologized and said permits should be issued in 90 days CCing then LT Hall, and a few days later it was in my mailbox.

Yes, the current regulation states the application should be processed within 90 days.

But it is D.C., so...

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I was 100 days with zero legal issues and training from a DC approved instructor.

All the training? or hybrid of other non-DC training plus DC training on DC law module.

I don't doubt you, but since I have had a registration permit fairly soon after Heller, and therefore taken a number of DC pals to the range I have helped sherpa those pals on registration, and later on CCP and all of them that were after the initial rush have been under 90 days

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    All the training? or hybrid of other non-DC training plus DC training on DC law module.

I don't doubt you, but since I have had a registration permit fairly soon after Heller, and therefore taken a number of DC pals to the range I have helped sherpa those pals on registration, and later on CCP and all of them that were after the initial rush have been under 90 days

Coincidentally I was the first person to register after Heller. That registration training was completed a while ago. That was in the days before the online training.

My CCP training was from a certified MPD instructor who is retired MPD. I am not sure why it took so long. No explanation was given.

I just took 3 DC pals to the range this weekend. Are you me?

Shrubberypig

Nov 21, 2019
    Everyone I know got theirs in 90 or less unless there was either something very unusual about about their training or they had some prior legal issue

I can pretty much guarantee my background isn’t the problem. My course was also run by a well known set of MPD certified instructors. Maybe *too* well known from MPDs standpoint.

My extension letter and every call I’ve made have offered nothing more than the volume of applications being an issue. Strikes me as bureaucracy pure and simple. I haven’t heard from anybody who submitted in the July/August timeframe who has received theirs. The fact they’re under some sort of audit makes sense but is no less frustrating.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I can pretty much guarantee my background isn’t the problem.
    I do have do have a pal who has been bounced on NICS many times due to same first, last and middle and birthdate as a felon.

I am just looking for a constant or common factor on the >90 day ones. I do know some people presented military, or NRA or other training for the core part of the training in addition to the DC law training.

We are also this fall in a period where we are two years from avalanche of applications they had and doubtless a massive bump in renewals of those.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I do have do have a pal who has been bounced on NICS many times due to same first, last and middle and birthdate as a felon.

I am just looking for a constant or common factor on the >90 day ones. I do know some people presented military, or NRA or other training for the core part of the training in addition to the DC law training.

We are also this fall in a period where we are two years from avalanche of applications they had and doubtless a massive bump in renewals of those.
    I think you are reading too much into diagnose the process. There are still variables in the registration process, although they have made HUGE improvements over the years. It all depends on who is working, their knowledge of the regs., and their ability to communicate/listen.

Aside: I just registered a C&R based on age that was not on the roster. That had been my white whale for many years.

Per our pro gun DC attorney George Lyon/Arsenal Attorneys
    "Currently, despite regulations requiring the applications to be processed within 90 days, DC is taking more than 120 days in processing applications. If you desire to obtain a DC Concealed Carry License, we urge you to submit the application as soon as possible and complete training in the meantime."

No but let me know next time and I will join you!
    Will do!

Shrubberypig

Nov 21, 2019
    ^^^one of my cert instructors was George and, absolutely no ding to him, I’ve been a bit worried his history would cause a pencil pusher to let my file sit on their desk for longer than usual. That’s groundless though, I’m stoked I took his course, recommend it to everybody, and learned what he had to say.

Bit of background for anybody else who may be stressing, I’ve had state and federal agencies running and maintaining background checks on me for the last 20 years. MPDs delay was likely a bureaucratic one.

I called earlier and was updated my application cleared, so all told about 170ish days. I think there was an anomalous hump the last few months but hopefully they’ll streamline it again.

Meantime while I was waiting: ~8 murders, almost two dozen ADWs, and nearly 24/7 MPD and Special Police presence within a few blocks radius of our house. How fortunate MPD is that I actually have a respect for the law to not carry when nobody in my neighborhood seems to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom