• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but I can't believe that I am the only one asking this.

I was looking at the old, paper version of the 77r form and saw the section where the dealer has to enter all the information about the handgun that you are buying. Is this still required in the electronics version?

If so, why? It should not matter what the handgun is that I am buying. Either I am prohibited or I am not. Kind of like when someone tries to buy something with a credit or debit card. All the retailer finds out is whether or not there is enough money available to cover the transaction.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I did a quick search and didn't see anything, but I can't believe that I am the only one asking this.

I was looking at the old, paper version of the 77r form and saw the section where the dealer has to enter all the information about the handgun that you are buying. Is this still required in the electronics version?

If so, why? It should not matter what the handgun is that I am buying. Either I am prohibited or I am not. Kind of like when someone tries to buy something with a credit or debit card. All the retailer finds out is whether or not there is enough money available to cover the transaction.

For the database silly.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    yes, look at your online 77r.

The handgun that you are buying must be on the roster, so yes it does matter what you are buying!

But the reality is also 77r is a registration. As in: when you move into the state you have to register your handguns.

dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    And they are screened. I recently received notice from MSP that a previously approved form was rejected. Turns out the serial number was entered incorrectly.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I figured that there would be a lot of "register" answers, but I was looking for what the "official" reasoning was. As for the roster, I would hope that my dealer would not try to sell me a gun that was not on the roster, but I know how confusing a document that can be.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The other correct answer btw is "because Annapolis gun grabbers required it by law." The official reasoning changes with the times. Pre-Heller, I am sure some legislators thought that when the eventual gun ban came, they could simply round em all up. Of course, some still do and think Heller was wrongly decided.

It does not really do anything for crime.

The only real reason to register guns is to tax and confiscate them later.

Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    hqdefault.jpg

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Do they enter the serial numbers of long guns on the 4473 forms?

All serial numbers of all firearms purchased from an FFL, get entered on the 4473. That is how the ATF finds the original purchaser when they are requested to do a firearms trace. They contact the manufacturer, then the distributor, then the FFL and finally the first purchaser, all based off of the serial number, which the first three have to keep a record of where it whent and when.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not only the 4473, the FFL logs the firearm into their bound book, with the source. And logs the sale in their bound book, with the purchaser info.

Sirex