• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Mike Pence just said that the US has manufactured 43 million masks and is entering into agreements to manufacture that many MONTHLY.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I ran out this morning to do some shopping for a recipe I'm making, and to perhaps add a couple of extra things to the larder. Business as usual at our local market. Shelves full, no uptick in people shopping.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I ran out this morning to do some shopping for a recipe I'm making, and to perhaps add a couple of extra things to the larder. Business as usual at our local market. Shelves full, no uptick in people shopping.

That's the way to do it. Buy a little at a time.

My wife was ordering stuff off of Amazon a couple of days ago and wanted a case of SpaghettiOs (Without meat sauce). I told her don't do it because you won't be able to check the expiration date. Sure enough, Amazon dutifully delivered a case of SpaghettiOs yesterday, with an expiration data of Sep 2020 :sad20: If she had the ability to screen the expire data beforehand, she coulda passed on it for another source which had a longer expire data (preferably 2021 or 2022)

Now she has to eat 'em all up before then. :D

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore

My wife was ordering stuff off of Amazon a couple of days ago and wanted a case of SpaghettiOs (Without meat sauce). I told her don't do it because you won't be able to check the expiration date. Sure enough, Amazon dutifully delivered a case of SpaghettiOs yesterday, with an expiration data of Sep 2020 :sad20: If she had the ability to screen the expire data beforehand, she coulda passed on it for another source which had a longer expire data (preferably 2021 or 2022)

Expiration dates are really more of a suggestion, than a hard fact.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Here's the best advice I've seen all day.

95e2678b914895c33353320710862c74.jpg

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    This virus sounds more like a distraction for the DirtyCrats to SuperDelegate in Mini-Mike. Makes sense. Release a minor virus to distract. Chinese would be happy for Trump to go and get back to the status quo of the US getting screwed over.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV

This... :thumbsup:

I've seen several Youtube videos of people eating C Rations from the late 60's and early 70's, and for the most part they were still edible.

Your grocery store canned stuff like Chef Boyardee pasta's, Hormel Chili, Campbells soups etc. should be edible for quite some time beyond the expiration date, but they are probably most appetizing if eaten before it goes too far past that date.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Oh I know. But see, I live with a woman that will throw food away by the expiration date. Even if it is still edible. :sad20:

I completely understand, I'm feeding perfectly good food to the chickens every week it seems because my wife needs to "clean out the fridge". She and the kids rag me about my 5yr old expired mustard. I try to explain that it's just mustard seeds and vinegar, theres nothing to go bad it just tastes a little sharper is all. And don't get me started on 2 week old lunch meat, fry that sh#! up for breakfast there ain't a damn thing wrong with it. Same goes for cheese with mold starting. It's only on one edge cut that off and eat the remaining 90%.
    Oops, I think you touched a nerve here. :D

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Can expiration dates can be extended much longer than what is stamped on them, but with a lot of caveats.

Acid foods - tomato, peppers, citrus, etc., - won't last much longer than the expiration date before the acidity starts eating away at the can seals and spoils the food inside.

Cans must be stored at 50-65 degrees for the best longevity. Have a bunch of cans in a cabinet above your refrigerator or stove or next to a heat vent? They may not even make it to the expiration date before they begin to spoil.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

I did the exact same thing yesterday afternoon with different results. The store was very busy and a girl there I know said it’s been nonstop and they’ve run out of bottled water, masks, gloves, and rubbing alcohol. It didn’t seem like a run on the store just people buying stuff. Most seemed to be getting snow storm like snacks and not prepper food.
    This from twitter a minute ago:

Attachments

• 8C5D3FA2-9672-48A9-AA4C-C3A80D0FFB2A.jpeg
      8C5D3FA2-9672-48A9-AA4C-C3A80D0FFB2A.jpeg
      74.4 KB · Views: 232

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

I'm taking the opportunity to work through some of my stuff. Crushing some 10 year old lentil tonight in a dish.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I did the exact same thing yesterday afternoon with different results. The store was very busy and a girl there I know said it’s been nonstop and they’ve run out of bottled water, masks, gloves, and rubbing alcohol. It didn’t seem like a run on the store just people buying stuff. Most seemed to be getting snow storm like snacks and not prepper food.
    This from twitter a minute ago:

Crazy. It's as cool as a cucumber around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom