• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    A friend was given a sporterized mauser. It is a pretty looking gun. I would never have done it but that's besides the point. We dont know what caliber it is. Now I have an 8mm mauser so I tested chambering a round. The 8mm chambered just fine. There was no issues chambering it with the bolt or extracting it with the bolt. I also dropped it in freely and it went in and out no problems. Due to my brother's stupidity I learned that an 8mm will chamber in a 30-06 garand. My question is will an 8mm chamber in any other size caliber or is it just an 8mm mauser?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I have a sportorized M98 that was re-barreled to 30-06, I think this was pretty common to do so you may want to get it checked to be sure

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    Let's see some pics of the rifle and I bet we can identify model and caliber from them

I took it apart from the stock and found nothing. Looks like they reblued it also. There is a scope mount on it but of course it is covering over the top of the chamber where all the stamping would be. I didnt want to pull it off and screw anything up. It does have a ww2 era german scope on it but a modern era scope mount. I'll have to get some pics of it when I see him.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Has it been rebarreled? Or just chopped into a sporter? More likely to have been made into .30-06 with a fresh barrel. Have you tried chambering a .30-06 round?

Cerrosafe would solve the riddle for sure.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    Has it been rebarreled? Or just chopped into a sporter? More likely to have been made into .30-06 with a fresh barrel. Have you tried chambering a .30-06 round?

Cerrosafe would solve the riddle for sure.

Dont know anything about it other than it is definitely a sporterized mauser. I can tell they chopped the barrel cause it's only a about 3 inches taller than my yugo m48.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Pictures. Post some pictures.

Even if it is a blurry picture. A picture helps.

Attachments

• 95DAF68B-F535-4A51-A416-A2132B582FB8.jpeg
      95DAF68B-F535-4A51-A416-A2132B582FB8.jpeg
      58.1 KB · Views: 375

CurlyDave

May 29, 2015
    Oregon
    The first thing I would do is to clean the bore well. Look down it carefully and make certain there are no rough spots.

Hold the rifle vertical with the muzzle up. Try to drop a .308 bullet down the barrel. If it is really 8 mm, the .308 bullet will slide down easily, if it has been rebarreled in .30-06 the bullet will engage the lands and will not drop down the barrel.

AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    I’ve owned a sporterized K98 for a number of years but also wondered about the chamber. So I did as suggested here, made a casting with Cerosafe, and have since put about 100 rounds of really old Ecuadorian 8mm ammo through it without issues. :)

Mauser question

Andreas

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If it actually is a 98 , And is original bbl, And bolt face is original size, And bore size is 8mm :

It is most likely 8x57 aka 8mm Mauser.

Distant second , 8mm- 06

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Chamber cast.
    I have 98 Mausers barreled in 8 x 57, 30-06, 308 Winchester, and 300 Savage which anyone that has to ask the OP's question could not tell one from the other. To throw more wood on the fire, I have Mausers I rebarreled in 219 Donaldson Wasp, 257 Roberts, 270 Winchester, and 9 x 57 Mauser also. If it was rebarreled, it could be anything.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Chamber cast.
    I have 98 Mausers barreled in 8 x 57, 30-06, 308 Winchester, and 300 Savage which anyone that has to ask the OP's question could not tell one from the other. To throw more wood on the fire, I have Mausers I rebarreled in 219 Donaldson Wasp, 257 Roberts, 270 Winchester, and 9 x 57 Mauser also. If it was rebarreled, it could be anything.

Bravo to all who suggested to cast it. Also, if anyone could have painted a clearer picture of just why this should be done or have a gunsmith do the verifying, K-43 makes a darn good point.

I mean he said it loud and clear enough for me. IT could be anything.

PS. I just saw your AVATAR Profile pic, K-43. Hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom