• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillOrien

Sep 28, 2008
    I've had a Dillon 650 for about 6 years, they are top notch with their customer service, and make a great product.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The 550 is a good press, but you need to be careful using it, especially loading pistol. The place most people get in trouble with it is that they space out while using it and miss an index, leading to a double charge. Unfortunately, since it's only a four station press, you can't really get a powder check in to catch it. (Yes, mk1 eyeball should catch this. It clearly does not always judging from stories on the interwebs.)

I'm sure there's tons of dudes out there who've loaded 50k on a 550 and never had a double charge, but it is a common enough issue I wanted to bring it up.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Question, the 550 is manual indexing where the 650/750 is progressive, correct?

Are there any local dealers around central MD?

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Well, looks like this initial deal fell through. On the hunt for a new or well condition used 550

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The 550 is a good press, but you need to be careful using it, especially loading pistol. The place most people get in trouble with it is that they space out while using it and miss an index, leading to a double charge. Unfortunately, since it's only a four station press, you can't really get a powder check in to catch it. (Yes, mk1 eyeball should catch this. It clearly does not always judging from stories on the interwebs.)

I'm sure there's tons of dudes out there who've loaded 50k on a 550 and never had a double charge, but it is a common enough issue I wanted to bring it up.
    So the double charges are operator error and not a mechanical problem, correct?

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md

Yup. If you forget to index them you end up running the same case into the powder die twice. If you’re paying a little attention, it’s hard to do.

Much easier to avoid on a 650/750 though.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Yup. If you forget to index them you end up running the same case into the powder die twice. If you’re paying a little attention, it’s hard to do.

Much easier to avoid on a 650/750 though.

And, forgetting to index also means you're ignoring that you haven't placed a new case into the press and a bullet on for seating. It also means you'd be decapping a live primer (if you are priming on press). And, you ignored not hearing a finished round drop into the bin. That's a lot of things to overlook, but I suppose it is possible. I've never double charged a case on mine yet.

The one thing that I have done (once so far) is forgotten to prime a case. As I was emptying my bin, I noticed powder everywhere. Argh! So that puts you into the "What else did I mess up" mode. But, you could also do that on a 650/750 just as easily. How did it happen? My wife called my name in the middle of the process. Interruptions are the sworn enemy of reloaders!

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Well, looks like this initial deal fell through. On the hunt for a new or well condition used 550

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

That's too bad... I highly recommend a Dillon and I've had my RL550B for over 30 years. Incredibly, Dillon still services, warrantys, and makes parts for their presses. I haven't put out as many rounds on mine as some have, but I'm definitely over the 10k round count and this will be my third time "dusting off" the presses to get reloading again.

FWIW... it looks like used reloading equipment is definitely "out there". I see ads on this, and other, websites for all sorts of reloading hardware (presses, powder measures, case trimmers, etc...). What you're going to have a hard time with (at least in the current climate) is finding consumables: primers, powder, and bullets... If/When the current madness subsides, stock deep!

Bottom line: If anyone is looking to "save money" by reloading, you're deluding yourself! I haven't worked out the math, but just to recoup the initial costs of a press, dies, case prep, and a few other tools to get started... and just for cheap plinking rounds... you're in the "1000's of rounds" range. In my experience, what you do get by reloading is the ability to shoot more, and by shooting more, you get more proficient. Additionally, you have more control over the process and (especially for rifle rounds) can crank out match quality ammo tuned to your specific rifle. With Federal Gold Medal 168gr. HPBT Match loads going for more than $30/box (when/if you can find it) it starts making sense to reload... but... caveat emptor! ... I just dropped $200 on a set of Redding competition dies.

Hope this helps...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    And, forgetting to index also means you're ignoring that you haven't placed a new case into the press and a bullet on for seating. It also means you'd be decapping a live primer (if you are priming on press). And, you ignored not hearing a finished round drop into the bin. That's a lot of things to overlook, but I suppose it is possible. I've never double charged a case on mine yet.

The one thing that I have done (once so far) is forgotten to prime a case. As I was emptying my bin, I noticed powder everywhere. Argh! So that puts you into the "What else did I mess up" mode. But, you could also do that on a 650/750 just as easily. How did it happen? My wife called my name in the middle of the process. Interruptions are the sworn enemy of reloaders!
    I have done just about every screwup possible on a Dillon. Fortunately, anything I've double charged was obvious due to powder everywhere! It's finally become mostly muscle memory for me, save the occasional un-primed cartridge slipping buy(but I case gauge every round, so...)

As for your last point on interruptions, absolutely positively true. :banghead:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've been considering a small fish-eye mirror hung from the rear vertical frame member to allow a peek into the case in the seating position, just to make sure it IS properly charged.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I have done just about every screwup possible on a Dillon. Fortunately, anything I've double charged was obvious due to powder everywhere! It's finally become mostly muscle memory for me, save the occasional un-primed cartridge slipping buy(but I case gauge every round, so...)

As for your last point on interruptions, absolutely positively true. :banghead:

An interruption at the wrong time could be the thing that gets anyone to a double charge. I've told my family to not interrupt me during my reloading, but it doesn't always work.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Yup, no music, no tv, no drinking, no conversations. Complete concentration. Oddly enough, when you are in the rhythm, it is quite relaxing and therapeutic.

The saving money is a mixed thing. If you do your work properly, you are making match grade ammo, not Winchester white box. That said, you will likely just shoot more.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Question, the 550 is manual indexing where the 650/750 is progressive, correct?

Are there any local dealers around central MD?

Call bob at marylandreloadr.com. He’s located in pomfret and a great guy. I bought my press from him and he walked ME thru (he didn’t touch a thing) getting the dies set and building/test firing several rounds.

He does have some speech challenges given a health challenge but is understandable... I mention it only so you aren’t caught off guard.

301-870-3338 cell
    30-934-6213 shop

If he doesn’t have what you’re looking for, try bobcat armament out of Indiana. Kimball stocks a lot, has a reasonable used/refurb selection and is very helpful

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yup, no music, no tv, no drinking, no conversations. Complete concentration. Oddly enough, when you are in the rhythm, it is quite relaxing and therapeutic.

The saving money is a mixed thing. If you do your work properly, you are making match grade ammo, not Winchester white box. That said, you will likely just shoot more.
    Yup. Even a wandering mind can get you into trouble, but what you say is correct. Find your rhythm and pump out the rounds. It is very relaxing, in that you try to shut out all other stimuli. Still some would consider it monotonous, repetitive work. I do not, but then again, I've laid millions of square feet of flooring, one piece at a time. :lol2:

I don't look at it as saving money. It's more like buying ammo on layaway. Just like building ARs. You buy all the parts as you can afford them, taking a lot of the sting of maybe buying a $2K rifle. Once you have all the ingredients for a particular round, you dive right in and start churning them out. :)

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Yeah, and no "oh my gosh, oh my gosh, the store is out of ammunition!!!!"

I don't look at it as saving money. It's more like buying ammo on layaway. Just like building ARs. You buy all the parts as you can afford them, taking a lot of the sting of maybe buying a $2K rifle. Once you have all the ingredients for a particular round, you dive right in and start churning them out. :)

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I've been considering a small fish-eye mirror hung from the rear vertical frame member to allow a peek into the case in the seating position, just to make sure it IS properly charged.

I'm able to see the powder level in most cases from my seated position at my press. I also have the Inline Fab press light for the 550. I love that. Before adding it, I couldn't see the powder level at all without leaning in and squinting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom