• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    My father had a friend of his pass away a few years back that had some old reloaded 38 special. It looks super old, and we don't know how it was actually loaded. Not comfortable shooting it.

How can we responsibly dispose of these? Pull the bullets? I'd happily give them to someone that reloads if they wanna pull the bullets and cases for their use? I've never had to dispose of ammo before, so I'm at a loss.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Bullet puller. Use/trade/sell/give away the bullets and brass. Use the gunpowder to fertilize a flower bed.
    Thank you.

Having never used a bullet puller before. Is there anything I should know before I youtube some videos on how to use it?

It's only a couple hundred rounds. How long might this endeavor take someone who's never done this?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Thank you.

Having never used a bullet puller before. Is there anything I should know before I youtube some videos on how to use it?

It's only a couple hundred rounds. How long might this endeavor take someone who's never done this?

With a kinetic bullet puller it could take anywhere from 1 to dozens of whacks depending on how the rounds were constructed (cue the guy who says it only takes him at most two, I have taken apart rounds, not my own, that took dozens, part of the reason I got a puller for my press). When I did use a kinetic puller I usually hit a piece of pressure treated 2X4 when I did it that way. Less chance of damage to the puller but resilient enough to get the correct effect.

You're still left with primed cases though, even after you dump the powder.

It's probably much easier and cleaner to give them to a reloader and have them disassemble or put in the 'dud' box at the range.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No need to buy a bullet puller for this one time deal.

Someone on MDS will take them and properly handle them.

I would, but have no need for .38 components

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I would be happy to take them. Getting ready to pick up some .45 ACP that blew up my brother's gun and break them down, too. He fired almost every shot for his CCW qualifying before destroying his gun with a few rounds left to fire. Said he thought the recoil was unusually bad and had over pressure signs on the brass, but figured he could get through the qualifying. Luckily, he was not seriously hurt and still qualified. Glock replaced his frame and repaired the gun under warranty!

Much easier to pull the bullets with an RCBS puller and the proper collet. Gave up on the kinetic puller when I acquired a lot of surplus that needed breakdown and recycling.

I'm in Laurel.

Powder will be spread outdoors, primed cases and bullets will be reused with new powder.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I have a press type puller,& the .357" collets. If you want to swing by & use it for a while its OK with me.
    (near Hagerstown)

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Throw em in a river or the bay. Fire is cool from a long distance. :) I've thrown them in the septic tank before... no harm, no foul.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I'll take them if your close, an break them down. If you break them down just dump the powder in the garden or around the yard. It will help the grass when it breaks down.

Don't shoot others reloads unless you helped.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    I'm on AA County. If anyone is local to it that wouldn't mind helping out?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As you see , enough MDS'ers already joining in to take it off your hands ( if everyone else falls thru , I'd take them ) .

But the other question not directly answered yet :

IF indeed you had desire to render ammunition inert safely , the usual answer is Soaking . Penetrating Oil is best , sometimes seen as "oil , unspecified " , occasionally as diesel fuel . How long is long enough ? Hard to say , depends on the ammo, and unless you periodically try to test fire , we're semi- educated guessing . ( Heck , id I had more free time , there would be a project .)

Over the years published recommendations range from a day to " several days " .

Added - So how Old is " Super Old " to you ? ( PSA - Everyone please observe the usual cautions about non- commercial reloads , not done by yourself , or in your presence .)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    TFire is cool from a long distance.

It doesn't need a long distance.

They are like a big firecracker. Pop, and the case splits.

See the SAAMI video on fire and ammunition. You can find it on You Tube.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was planning on taking them to the dump for hazmat disposal next time I swing over there. If someone in Rockville wants my random assortment of messed-up loads and bad primed cases, you're welcome to it.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I was planning on taking them to the dump for hazmat disposal next time I swing over there. If someone in Rockville wants my random assortment of messed-up loads and bad primed cases, you're welcome to it.

I didn't think the dump in MoCo would take ammunition. I have some old shotgun reloads to get rid of and checked their website a few months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom