• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    I live on a 36 acre farm in Calvert County. I’ve been shooting on my property for decades.

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I got a visit from Deputy Sheriffs. A woman who lives a half mile away had called 911 on me.

The deputy was very nice, and said I was perfectly within my rights to shoot.

He said something I’d never heard before. He said you can only shoot between dusk and dawn.

Is that true?

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I live on a 36 acre farm in Calvert County. I’ve been shooting on my property for decades.

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I got a visit from Deputy Sheriffs. A woman who lives a half mile away had called 911 on me.

He said something I’d never heard before. He said you can only shoot between dusk and dawn.

Is that true?

Never heard of the dusk till dawn restriction. Had someone call on us in Carroll County for shooting after dark once while playing with a new scope. Deputies weren't concerned but told us after 2200hrs it could be an issue.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    News to me. I have been out to my buddies farm in Harwood several times to shoot in the dark when I first got by NODS.

If this is a law can someone please post a link.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD

Is that true?

What kind of a piss ant calls cops for someone shooting half a mile away. People like that suck.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Somewhere in the generic state noise ordinance I think it states 9am, of course I cannot find that reference now. Sunset is pretty well self explanatory though.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Funny thing about gun shots from a half a mile away....they aren't that loud!
    I mean you can hear them but they are hardly disturbing. Especially if there are any trees or anything between the gun and the neighbor to break up the sound

What a whiner

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    I think st marys sheriff said after 11 pm could be a problem. I regularly shoot after dark here, usually not much after 9pm. The noise has never bothered anyone enough to earn me a visit or any complaints, I try not to shoot when the close neighbors are outside grilling, kids playing ect. just to be as considerate as I can. After dark or raining means not too many people outside listening to complain.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    OP, there was AT LEAST one other thread started by a Calvert County resident whose neighbors complained, etc. IIRC did not involve any after dusk shooting but it seems to have taken awhile for any “process” CCSO applies to these situations to come out. “Process” as in, “applied across the board in SOP fashion to all similar situations” and “these situations“ basically boiling down to CCSO s-l-o-w-l-y getting it through the skulls of the neighbor Karen/Ken that the resident target shooter is WITHIN *current* Calvert County ordinance ...

I’ll see if I can find it in hopes it saves you sometime ...

ETA: found it and hope there’s something in there you can use (mention to responding deputies about how you heard a similar situation got resolved) to speed up the process of CCSO diplomatically telling neighbor Karen/Ken, “Get over it!”

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=243260&highlight=Shooting+private+property

Shinobi

Jan 4, 2011
    Calvert County
    Thanks for all of your replies. Since Google, and consultating y’all failed to turn up any law against shooting after dark, I’m going to keep shooting after dusk. I never shoot past 9pm or before 9 am. I’m 300 yards through the woods to my closest neighbor. Karen can call the cops all she wants.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ... I never shoot past 9pm or before 9 am. I’m 300 yards through the woods to my closest neighbor. ...

Hopefully, there is a way you can get any responding Deputy to include that directly into any narrative they enter into their reporting system. (Would likely stop any train from leaving the station when Karen starts calling ... well, everyone ...)

Eastwind

Nice!
    May 3, 2020
    I was hoping this thread was going to be about where guys with night vision could go to shoot. I'm not disappointed, just a little sad. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom