• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 23, 2013
    Freinds, I'm a legal gun owner from Maryland, I reside in MD and have my HQL.

My father in law lives with me and we'd like to find out the proper steps on how to make a will stating his wishes to transfer his firearms to me upon his demise.

Given the political climate and the war against legal gun owners we'd like to make sure our i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

Of course we'd like to do this at little to no cost, any assistance on how to proceed is greatly appreciated!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Freinds, I'm a legal gun owner from Maryland, I reside in MD and have my HQL.

My father in law lives with me and we'd like to find out the proper steps on how to make a will stating his wishes to transfer his firearms to me upon his demise.

Given the political climate and the war against legal gun owners we'd like to make sure our i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

Of course we'd like to do this at little to no cost, any assistance on how to proceed is greatly appreciated!

Contact a lawyer who can write up a will for you. A simple will shouldn't cost that much. The other option is to have him transfer them to you now through an FFL.
    The advantage of transferring through a will is if he has any now banned items (per FSA 2013) that he owned prior to 10/1/2013, you can legally own them when he passes. I believe they would need to be registered by the MSP

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When my mom passed away and my sister and I discussed the estate with the attorney and we asked about appraising our mom's belongings and her jewelry specifically the attorney said "What jewelry?"

The same can be said for firearms. I do believe if they're already registered with MSP the above advice should be followed.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I used Britt Stouffer's legal team (stoufferlegal dot com) based in Towson to help me with a will regarding my firearms so that I could pass them on to my heirs without any problems. Her office is very pro-2A and she comes highly recommended on MDS. I too give her a big thumbs up and if you are looking for a attorney to help you out, you may want to give her office a call and find out what they will charge for a simple will.

Cal68

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I'm not making any suggestions, but I will point out that the passing of firearms between family members represents the only real opportunity to get guns "off the government books". If more folks took the "What guns? Dad had guns?" approach, in a generation, the firearms databases would be fairly worthless.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm not making any suggestions, but I will point out that the passing of firearms between family members represents the only real opportunity to get guns "off the government books". If more folks took the "What guns? Dad had guns?" approach, in a generation, the firearms databases would be fairly worthless.

I try to involve the government in my life as little as possible

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Downside is for regulated firearms where there would likely be a record to the father-in-law if ever down the line the police run the gun, they’ll notice the last transfer was with the father-in-law and...they were never properly transferred upon death to the current possessor.

If the inheritance wouldn’t be complicated, why out it in a will? IE if your father-in-law would be leaving it to you/his only living daughter/child, not something you’d likely need to worry about.

But if there is even a small chance some family member could dispute something, make sure it’s in the will. Especially anything where you’d legally need to transfer it through a 77r

Would sure suck if your father-in-laws younger brother asks questions about that being back 1911 he thought his older brother was going to leave to him...and decides to make a legal fuss about it.

Same thing about any other possessions. Though, less legally troublesome there. I know plenty of people who’d an in to stuff like that. Didn’t bother to put something in the will and then a sibling, cousin, aunt, uncle, whomever comes forward and tells the probate judge “well my brother wanted me to have that and it’s not in the will, but I’ve got an email from him A decade ago mentioning how he wanted me to have it”. Even if you prevail, it can tie things up for a long time.

OldTimeyGoodness

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 2, 2020
    When my mom passed away and my sister and I discussed the estate with the attorney and we asked about appraising our mom's belongings and her jewelry specifically the attorney said "What jewelry?"

The same can be said for firearms. I do believe if they're already registered with MSP the above advice should be followed.

Please explain the what jewelry part.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    In 2013, MSP lost or didn’t process a metric ton of transfers due to volume. I also have a red pencil box.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    When my mom passed, we had to file an inventory with the court for belongings and their values as of the date of passing. They wanted appraisals to show the value of two rings. I'm not sure you'd want to do this.

It is better to have things pass outside the estate. Bank accounts can have payable on death beneficiaries, for example. It was a real nuisance to work with all the different banks to get the money into an estate checking account.

One of my siblings set up an inter vivos trust so things could pass to her son outside probate / the estate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom