• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    That it was made in 1964 according to the chart in the book :)
    The NB designation ended in 1952 around S/N 740000 when production temporarily stopped.
    When it started back up in 1957 the S/N started at B10001 per the Brown book.

Very cool...thanks a bunch. I appreciate learning and knowing anything I can about stuff I bring into my home. :thumbsup:

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I didn't hear back from them via my email last Thurs evening so I called them today. They picked up right away. I explained that not only was the trigger dragging due to a bent trigger guard (bent in and sideways), it looked like someone tried to ream out the chamber (I found that when I did a field strip over the weekend trying to decide if I would just straighten out the guard and keep it). They promised to get me a shipping label tomorrow to return it and they would set one aside for me today to exchange it for. Seemed like very nice folks. Of course I approached it with a I know it is surplus and this stuff happens attitude. Will advise once I get my exchanged one.

Called just now and they said they will send me a UPS label. Did you get yours yet? I'm wondering what shipping method it will be. In the past they have refused labels I have been given by distributors for shipping pistols because it was not next day air. ATF regs say that federal law requires you to notify the carrier that the shipment contains a firearm so if it is not a next day air label I know they will tell me they can't ship it unless it is a next day air label or i upgrade to that service.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Called just now and they said they will send me a UPS label. Did you get yours yet? I'm wondering what shipping method it will be. In the past they have refused labels I have been given by distributors for shipping pistols because it was not next day air. ATF regs say that federal law requires you to notify the carrier that the shipment contains a firearm so if it is not a next day air label I know they will tell me they can't ship it unless it is a next day air label or i upgrade to that service.

I haven't gotten it yet. I assume it will be ground, the same way they shipped it.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I haven't gotten it yet. I assume it will be ground, the same way they shipped it.

That will be an issue. UPS won't ship handguns by ground if you notify them what it is which it seems you are legally required to do.

Maybe if i just say its a firearm frame but don't say handgun they will take it. I have had to ship two defective C&R handguns back before and both times UPS made it very difficult. They refused to send it anything but next day air. The first time I paid the air rates and the seller from gunbroker refunded them and the second time I paid a dealer to ship it USPS.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Just got an email that the label is coming. It is UPS ground. I guess I will try just saying it is a firearm since the law says nothing about making a distinction to the carrier about the type, only that you must notify them that it is a firearm. Anyone had luck sending something back that way while still legally notifying them? I wonder if it would be more likely to be accepted if i scheduled a home pickup vs taking it to the customer service center.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Or just say nothing. What will happen?

Probably nothing. But U.S. Code 922 (e) says "It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;"

After reading that again it looks like it means the notice is only required if not going to one of the mentioned 'persons'. But ATF faq interprets it as 'you must notify'. This crap is such a mess.

922 (f)(2) adds "It shall be unlawful for any common or contract carrier to deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm without obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt from the recipient of the package or other container in which there is a firearm." I guess this means it technically has to be signed for. I know that doesn't always happen.

This stuff is so murky and complicated but I'm thinking I might be good since (f) (2) only deals with the recipient, which is not me in this transaction, and section (e) says it is unlawful without notifying them IF it is going to someone other than a licensed importer, dealer, etc. Which is not the case.

I just want to avoid doing anything illegal in case anything were to go wrong with the shipment.

Jul 1, 2012
    First reg is only to inform the carrier if the firearm is going to someone OTHER THAN a licensee as you noted.
    In this case both the sender and receiver are licensees.
    Second reg means it needs to go (adult) signature required which is just a good idea anyway even if it wasn't a reg.
    Adult signature means they can't just throw it on the porch or loading dock and run (in theory).

The UPS and FEDEX policies are a different story but don't carry (no pun intended) the weight of the law.
    It's all about CYA for them.
    The surplus company is the one that made the shipping label and chose the shipping method so it's on them, not you if things go astray.
    I wonder if it would be more likely to be accepted if i scheduled a home pickup vs taking it to the customer service center.
    Absolutely. Home pickup, they don't care or ask what's in it.
    $5-6 is small price to pay for saving the time and hassle of going to the hub and dealing with them.
    Only disadvantage is having to be home to hand it to them (you don't want to leave that particular package on the porch :) ).

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    First reg is only to inform the carrier if the firearm is going to someone OTHER THAN a licensee as you noted.
    In this case both the sender and receiver are licensees.
    Second reg means it needs to go (adult) signature required which is just a good idea anyway even if it wasn't a reg.
    Adult signature means they can't just throw it on the porch or loading dock and run (in theory).

The UPS and FEDEX policies are a different story but don't carry (no pun intended) the weight of the law.
    It's all about CYA for them.
    The surplus company is the one that made the shipping label and chose the shipping method so it's on them, not you if things go astray.

Absolutely. Home pickup, they don't care or ask what's in it.
    $5-6 is small price to pay for saving the time and hassle of going to the hub and dealing with them.
    Only disadvantage is having to be home to hand it to them (you don't want to leave that particular package on the porch :) ).

Thanks. I work from home so no problems there.

Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    DK sent an email yesterday stating they have Carcano clips in stock. The email also stated they would have a large batch of Carcano carbines up for sale shortly.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. All matching '65 production year, 90% finish. Everything seems to function well.

Attachments

• 20200930_150003.jpg
      20200930_150003.jpg
      55.5 KB · Views: 362
    • 20200930_150012.jpg
      20200930_150012.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 373

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Nice example. You did well! Did you get grade 1 select or grade 1? I am surprised they considered mine select given the well-worn finish on the top part of the slide.

I went with the Grade 1 Select option.

After seeing the dented trigger guard from an earlier post, I put a note along for them to do a quick DA function test when pulling it. Maybe that made them have more care in picking it?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I went with the Grade 1 Select option.

After seeing the dented trigger guard from an earlier post, I put a note along for them to do a quick DA function test when pulling it. Maybe that made them have more care in picking it?

Your trigger guard also looks a lot thicker. I'm not sure if it is just an illusion or if it really is.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Nice looking piece. Have you taken it apart and cleaned it yet? I’d be interested in the condition of the internals.

Yes, everything is in really good shape. Rifling is strong, but it's definitely been fired enough to not be "like new" from the looks of the feed ramp (used, but still very good). Magazine drops free nice and briskly, everything feels like it's got proper spring tension, etc.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yes, everything is in really good shape. Rifling is strong, but it's definitely been fired enough to not be "like new" from the looks of the feed ramp (used, but still very good). Magazine drops free nice and briskly, everything feels like it's got proper spring tension, etc.

One thing to note if you might want to measure the recoil spring length still. I thought mine was fine, but I’ve had a couple issues with some brands of ammo. Likely still going to be picky, but I found a NOS recoil spring. Showed up, appears the same as my old spring. Except unloaded length was more than an inch longer than what was probably the original spring. Noticeably stiffer racking the slide.

For a blowback operated firearm, having proper recoil spring strength is critical. 32acp isn’t that stout, but still don’t want to batter the frame and slide more than necessary.

If anyone wants, I can pull out the NOS recoil spring and measure the length.

PS a Walther PP spring for a 32acp should work in a Cz50. I have not tried it, but I’ve read positive things about doing it. Measurements are only slightly off, but there is a fair amount of tolerance on spring size to fit in the gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom