• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Say, for the sake of discussion that I have a WWI-WWII milsurp rifle that I want to use in a match. I have avoided corrosive ammo because the rifle is a pain in the butt to disassemble, and I don't like to use soap & water on a rifle that I can't take all apart. I don't have a large stockpile of good non-corrosive ammo, so I want to go a bit frugal. :o
    So, suppose of the 34 rounds used in the match, I use corrosive for the first 20 rounds and non-corrosive for the balance. Will the use of the non-corrosive ammo clear out the effects on the corrosive primers a lot, a little or not at all. :rolleyes: I usually use Hoppe's and CLP on the patches after a bronze brushing. :thumbsup:

I suppose that I should know the answer, but I'm old. :innocent0

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I have no evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, but I would say no. Residue/debris from the non-corrosive ammo will just sit on top of or mix in with the corrosive residue. I think you’ll still have to give it a good cleaning.

Just a guess though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Say, for the sake of discussion that I have a WWI-WWII milsurp rifle that I want to use in a match. I have avoided corrosive ammo because the rifle is a pain in the butt to disassemble, and I don't like to use soap & water on a rifle that I can't take all apart. I don't have a large stockpile of good non-corrosive ammo, so I want to go a bit frugal. :o
    So, suppose of the 34 rounds used in the match, I use corrosive for the first 20 rounds and non-corrosive for the balance. Will the use of the non-corrosive ammo clear out the effects on the corrosive primers a lot, a little or not at all. :rolleyes: I usually use Hoppe's and CLP on the patches after a bronze brushing. :thumbsup:

I suppose that I should know the answer, but I'm old. :innocent0

I would go the other way. Shoot the good ammo first, putting a layer of "clean" fouling and residue against the precious steel of your bore. Then shoot the corrosive ammo over that "protective" layer of normal crud. Then clean it (with patches soaked in a mixture of water and 10% Ballistol first, dry patches till they come clean, then a wet Ballistol patch...followed by another the day after).

Or...:tap:...just bum some ammo off of your son and daugther-in-law who recently acquired 2 spam cans of M2 ball for 50 cents a round.:innocent0

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just make sure the bullets aren't bi-metal, steel core or jacket or the like (attracted to a magnet) if the match has steel targets, pretty much never allowed.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Not worth the potential damage. A little residue can do a lot of permanent damage over time. The only way to insure none remains is a good cleaning. A small price to pay for the enjoyment of shooting our surplus toys.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Clean it. When shooting anything corrosive, I use warm water or Windex through the bore on patches and a brush, then Hoppes (I am lucky enough to have a couple bottles of OLD Hoppe's so I use it only for corrosive ammo), and then pump spray CLP and then Preservative oil. Never had an issue with rust after thousands of rounds.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Not worth the potential damage. A little residue can do a lot of permanent damage over time. The only way to insure none remains is a good cleaning. A small price to pay for the enjoyment of shooting our surplus toys.

I clean mine with hot water and wipe them dry when I get home from the range. I have a question of cleaning off the corrosive residue asap or else. Remember that almost all our guns used during the WWII run exclusivly on corrosive ammo. I cannot believe that our soldiers stop shooting for the day to clean thier guns. M1 Garands are still in use today here and in some countries. I don't know, might not be worth talking about.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I clean mine with hot water and wipe them dry when I get home from the range. I have a question of cleaning off the corrosive residue asap or else. Remember that almost all our guns used during the WWII run exclusivly on corrosive ammo. I cannot believe that our soldiers stop shooting for the day to clean thier guns. M1 Garands are still in use today here and in some countries. I don't know, might not be worth talking about.

A lot of M1 Garands were also rebarrelled after WW II.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    When I used to shoot SASS, I used blackpowder ammunition. I'd clean all of my cartridge guns when I got home by pouring HOT water down the barrel and inside the action. Then I'd use Moose Milk, which is a 10% solution of Ballistol and 90% water. Including inside the action. I'd blow out excess MM and let air dry. No problems, no rust.

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    Clean it. When shooting anything corrosive, I use warm water or Windex through the bore on patches and a brush, then Hoppes (I am lucky enough to have a couple bottles of OLD Hoppe's so I use it only for corrosive ammo), and then pump spray CLP and then Preservative oil. Never had an issue with rust after thousands of rounds.

tell me more about "old" hoppe's vs new hoppe's for the old guns? what does old do better? what's missing in new hoppe's? when did the new formula get introduced?

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    Thanks for all the replies & information. :) Since cleaning a rifle is lower than cleaning up the dog poo in the yards (poop patrol) on my list of things that I don't like to do, I think I'll forgo the corrosive ammo for the time being. :innocent0 Actually, it may all be for naught since I haven't been able to verify that the match is actually going to happen tomorrow. :sad20: If it is, I'll be Russian to get my kit together. :lol:

Captain Waggles

Jul 11, 2018
    Dundalk, MD
    My K98 and Hakim both prefer surplus corrosive yugo ammo so I keep a bottle of ammonia windex in the range bag when I go out with them. The Hakim also is a weird one that blows gunk all over with it's weird action and direct gas impingement operation. I run windex through everything before I leave the range and throughly clean them when I get home. The water in the windex will wash away some of the corrosive properties and the ammonia dries it up

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

tell me more about "old" hoppe's vs new hoppe's for the old guns? what does old do better? what's missing in new hoppe's? when did the new formula get introduced?

I'd like to know what the differences are between the old vs. new Hoppe's, too. I've looked all over the Internet and never found a breakdown of their respective formulas.

I have some 1970's era Hoppe's sitting around. The two identical glass jars hold the same quantity of Hoppe's...new lighter colored Hoppe's on the left, and the old, much darker Hoppe's on the right. Smell different, too.

Attachments

• New v old Hoppe's.jpg
      New v old Hoppe's.jpg
      45 KB · Views: 161

CraZ4GunZ

MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    When I used to shoot SASS, I used blackpowder ammunition. I'd clean all of my cartridge guns when I got home by pouring HOT water down the barrel and inside the action. Then I'd use Moose Milk, which is a 10% solution of Ballistol and 90% water. Including inside the action. I'd blow out excess MM and let air dry. No problems, no rust.
    ^^^THIS!!!
    Ballistol is the 8th wonder of the world! ..and the 10% mix is perfect for corrosive ammo. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom