• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    A question for parents of teenagers. What is a fair price range to pay for neighborhood teens to do some unskilled jobs around the house?

I want to hire some neighbors kids to do some unskilled yard work (pick up branches and sticks, rake leaves, push a wheelbarrow, etc.) so what should I offer to pay them? I don't want to take advantage of them nor do I want to pay so much that they get an unrealistic idea of the value of their labor. I know what I earned as a kid but that was a half century ago, on the other hand what people are talking about raising the minimum wage to is unrealistic in the other direction.

So what does the collective wisdom say is the current range for teenage labor rates?

Last edited:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    What is minimum wage? You have to figure thats the pay at most jobs they'd be able to get before taxes. You're paying cash so you can pay them that and they'll make out better

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Minimum wage here in Maryland is $11 an hour this year. $12-$15/hr cash is a good rate. It depends on how hard the work really is and how particular you are about your yard.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Whatever you do, talk to their parents (and them) about opening and starting their own IRA’s with 75% of whatever you pay them, preferably ROTH’s (50, 60-years from now they - and their heirs - will thank you like the bejeesus)!!!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Whatever you do, talk to their parents (and them) about opening and starting their own IRA’s with 75% of whatever you pay them, preferably ROTH’s (50, 60-years from now they - and their heirs - will thank you like the bejeesus)!!!

Good investment sense? Yes.

But teens also want to be teens. Maybe they want to spend a little.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    You have neighborhood kids that want to work? almost like finding a unicorn.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Good investment sense? Yes.

But teens also want to be teens. Maybe they want to spend a little.

??????? Did anyone say invest it all? Adults want to be teens but, that’s beside the point.

I started mowing lawns when I was 9 and my Dad took 75-cents of every dollar I made and invested it for me and when I was 17 I walked into a car dealership with $16,000 in cash - I never missed it, that 25-cents on @ dollar assured I always had more than any of my friends.

No reason you can’t have $1 million + at 50-60 yoa (double that in 2050 for inflation) and still have had a great childhood!

https://money.usnews.com/investing/investing-101/articles/how-to-set-up-a-roth-ira-for-your-child

https://money.usnews.com/investing/investing-101/articles/how-to-set-up-a-roth-ira-for-your-child

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/110713/benefits-starting-ira-your-child.asp

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    I agree, I would also pay in a lump sum rather than hourly. If they are slow and lazy its their problem, not yours

This^^^.

Pay a flat rate for the entire job, and supervise the work to ensure they have completed everything to your satisfaction. Paying by the hour without sufficient supervision can lead to slow/inept work.

Supervision will also help keep them working rather than on their phones half the time.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    $13-16 is the norm, but it depends where you are located and what the other opportunities are.

Best way to find out is to offer them $ and see if they take it.

It also depends on the days/hours.

**** no.

Teenagers have a natural, civil, and constitutional right to blow all their money on beer, music, and Tinder.

They have plenty of time to be grown ups, teenage years should be fun.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    offer 10 to 15 an hour. Minimum wage is $10 something. My 16yo make $11 plus tips scooping ice cream. With tips, she averages $17.

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    I'm digging about 20 holes in the ground to out in 6' leeland cypress. I saw a sign for a local college kid who does lawn and landscape. Called and asked him what he charged for the hour. He said 15 bucks. I'm going to be digging with him. I could do it myself but I'd rather pay to have some help. If I trusted his tree planting soil mixing and stealing of the trees if just have him do the entire job, but I don't know him. Ill gladly have him help dig holes and.mobe trees with me. The extra hand for labor is well worth the price paid.

1099????? Does anyone here 1099 their babysitter?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200930-230828.jpg
      Screenshot_20200930-230828.jpg
      57.5 KB · Views: 326

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads