Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    Anyone shooting 6.8 in the AR platform ? I'm thinking about building one
    for deer.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I shot one at Delmarva it was navycrnas and now Im using the MDShooters lower to build one. Very sweet gun. 80% the knockdown of a .308 with 50% the recoil from what Ive read. I just wish they came bigger than 115 grain bullets.

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    Yeah, I took it out and popped its cherry at the shoot. Very happy with the build and the finished product.

One word of caution, don't get the C-products 20 rnd magazines I have 2 and they are POS won't feed properly.

The 25 rnd mags do work very well though no problems at all.

deerslayer79

Jan 27, 2007
    Delmar Md
    Remmy had a limited run on a heavy barreled bolt gun in 6.8.wish I could find,sorry I hijacked.have read in rifle shooter mag that alot of guys are using it for hogs also.gettin awesome results to.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    I'm test firing a 6.5 this weekend. Been doing some reading and thinking.

I've been looking into it too with my MDShooters lower on order and I'm thinking I could use the Grendel or 6.8 more than a .223. Please let us know how the 6.5 is I think it could replace my .30-30 as my primary deer rifle.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    It seems there are more ammo choices with 6.5 and heavier payloads then with the 6.8 round. I have a colt lower just waiting for a mate.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I just got done doing some comparing between the 6.8, 6.5, 7.62, and .243 (what I have now) and I really like what i read with the 6.5. Lots of energy at 100, 200, and 300 yards. Half the recoil of 7.62. More choices for bullet grains than .243 and 6.8. Seems to me like a very good deer hunting/target round. I don't think Im gonna ditch the 6.8 idea just yet. The 6.5 is only sold by Alexander Arms and so is the ammo. Prolly gonna be a pay in the ass and expensive to only be able to buy ammo and an upper from one company.

Last edited:

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    I just got done doing some comparing between the 6.8, 6.5, 7.62, and .243 (what I have now) and I really like what i read with the 6.5. Lots of energy at 100, 200, and 300 yards. Half the recoil of 7.62. More choices for bullet grains than .243 and 6.8. Seems to me like a very good deer hunting/target round. I don't think Im gonna ditch the 6.8 idea just yet. The 6.5 is only sold by Alexander Arms and so is the ammo. Prolly gonna be a pay in the ass and expensive to only be able to buy ammo and an upper from one company.

Wolf sells 6.5 Grendel for less than $10 a box IIRC. I did see recently but don't remember where or who but there are a couple of mfgs. making the Grendel now. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom