• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Also, if you are talking about a Mosin, Wally World sells a 3-pack of flexible (rubber-like) silicone funnels for a few bucks. Pull out the bolt and one of them is just the right size to fit down into the chamber. Just pouring hot water, or hot water with some ammonia in it, down the barrel before normal cleaning will do the trick. The corrosive compound in the primer produces a kind of salt that ammonia neutralizes, and that hot water will flush away. You can do this over the drain in a bathtub or into a toilet if you haven't got much room.

Brilliant!

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    its actually the water, not the ammonia that neutralizes the salts.

the reason for using windex is because the ammonia and other ingredients help it evaporate and not leave behind moisture to rust your barrel, same reason it doesnt leave behind streaks on your windows heh.

water alone would do the job, but putting water in your bore is not a good idea unless you make absolutely sure to get it dry again afterwards.
    hot water does evaporate well, but to me its just easier to keep some windex on hand than heat up water every time.

the main reason being that you can run the windex patches down the bore,a nd then leave the gun a while and come back to it later, if you run water down the bore, you need to get it clean and dry ASAP.

you can even keep some windex in your range bag and run a couple of patches through your rifles when you're wrapping up, or do it when you get home. if you dont have time to clean immediately, simply running the windex patches down the bore kills the salts, and then later you can come back and clean normally when you have time.

BDurk

Sep 21, 2012
    Mt. Airy

^^^ AGREE...

I don't think this is right. If you use the windex to solubilize the salts and then don't get the piece absolutely dry it would allow for an environment on the surface even more prone to corrosion than if you never used the windex (or worse, water). For that matter, if you don't get the piece completely dry of water/salt and then coat it with oil, the corrosion process will continue to occur under the oil...all be it slower,

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    ^^^ AGREE...

I don't think this is right. If you use the windex to solubilize the salts and then don't get the piece absolutely dry it would allow for an environment on the surface even more prone to corrosion than if you never used the windex (or worse, water). For that matter, if you don't get the piece completely dry of water/salt and then coat it with oil, the corrosion process will continue to occur under the oil...all be it slower,

thats why you use windex, it evaporates better than if you just used water.

i disagree using windex is worse than not, the corrosive salts, left alone are attracting humidity. whereas if you hit it with windex, the salts are neutralized, the windex evaporates, and the bore is left dry.

now, obviously it still needs to be cleaned and oiled, but once the salts have been neutralized, the crud in the bore is no worse than modern non corrosive ammo, and so there is no immediate need to clean.

windex is one of the most common methods for corrosive ammo cleanup, if it were an issue people would have figured that out long ago.

another option by the way is to get this stuff http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-GI-WWII-...504&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=1&sd=230479618107&

thats what the US military used to used back when corrosive ammo was the norm, so its purpose made for the job, and its still available all over for cheap.

there are 2 kinds of old bore cleaner, the dark stuff, which is petroleum based, and the white stuff, which is water based, thats what you want for corrosive ammo.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    ^^^ AGREE...

Just for the record: my proposal to flush the barrel with hot water was intended to be done just before normal cleaning. Gun oil won't dissolve the corrosive salts. I have heard of people, though, taking a thermos of scalding water to a distant range, pouring it down the bore of the rifle, and then running a bore snake down it to dry it out. The water heats up the barrel enough to evaporate what little is left after the bore snake (leave the bolt out). The silicone funnel that I mentioned would help you get the water down the chamber without spilling it all over the place.

In the field, the Russian soldiers allegedly pissed down the barrel. Not sure how factual that is. It might have been kind of like licking a flagpole ... but worse ... much worse.

cmecha

Feb 10, 2009
    i just take the action and barrel out of the stock and pour boiling water down the tube, it heats the metal up enough that it causes any left over water to but i still run a patch down the barrel to dry it and see how much nasty is left.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Guys, can we keep this thread to 'what's in stock NOW', otherwise it's not helpful when one sees an updated response and thinks something's available.......:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom