Is this a good deal or should I avoid it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I hope I put this in the right spot. I know a guy selling 2 k98 mausers. He says they both have nazi markings on them and has certificates of authenticity for both. He wants $ 275 a peice for em. Now I know jack squat about mausers. I'm going to look at them tomarrow. What should I look for aside from the usual? Do they make reproduction mausers? Any help would be apriciated.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    That is a good deal even if they are Russian captures which are non matching parts rifles the Russians threw together. If they are original that is a once in a lifetime deal. If they are Mitchell's mausers that's a different story. I'm not sure of the value on a Mitchell's. The certificates make it sound like a Mitchell's mauser which are refurbished capture rifles with re-stamped parts and numbers. They usually have bright blonde stocks and shiny bolts. Russian captures will have a matching barrel and receiver, that's it. Other parts may be force matched with electro pencil. Original mausers will be matching with blued parts.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Even if Mitchells I would buy them. Even if you end up just using them for parts they would be worth it and would probably be good shooters none the less.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Certificates of authenticity? WTF? The price seems good, almost too good, and I don't know who would have issued a COA on these. Sounds like an amazing deal if they are in good shape, but be very skeptical.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Sounds like Mitchells Mausers if they come with a C.O.A. I personally wouldn't buy them (or touch them) for $275 a piece (IF IT IS A MITCHELLS) but thats not a bad deal at all considering they want at least $500 for them online.

You could probably at least turn them over for a profit if you wanted to down the road. And they'd probably make good shooters.

IF they are Russian Captures or some other form of not dicked with German Mauser I'd buy them on the spot for that price. Make sure they are not Yugoslavian Mausers though

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Sounds like Mitchells Mausers if they come with a C.O.A. I personally wouldn't buy them for $275 a piece (IF IT IS A MITCHELLS) but thats not a bad deal at all considering they want at least $500 for them online.

I take it Mitchell's and Yugoslavians are bad to have?

Yugos are fine, but they are not Nazi marked so I doubt the two you are looking at are Yugos (probably priced fairly if they were Yugos, though).

I think these are Mitchell's Mausers, which have been refinished and ruined of all historical value to collectors, but would still retain Nazi markings. Michell's might be good rifles for shooters, but have zero collector value relative to a genuine, unmolested K98.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Sounds like Mitchells Mausers if they come with a C.O.A. I personally wouldn't buy them for $275 a piece (IF IT IS A MITCHELLS) but thats not a bad deal at all considering they want at least $500 for them online.

Yugoslavian Mausers are great rifles, I didn't mean to imply that they are not. I've seen many people confuse them with German K98k rifles as Yugo M24/47s and M48s look cosmetically similar to their German counterparts but have different action lengths. $275 + or - is about the going price of a Yugoslavian M24/47 Mauser.

Mitchells Mausers are German Mausers that were captured by the Russians during WW2 that are completely refinished by Mitchells and have absolutely zero collector value and are only worth it as a shooter. Mitchells sells them by a very deceptive advertisement campaign to uninformed buyers who think they're getting a good deal.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

Yugos are great. I have two of them and they are a blast but they are not considered as collectible as an authentic nazi marked k98 and are priced accordingly. 275 would be a fair price for a good yugo but it seems very low if they are indeed nazi marked k98s. I agree about the mitchells. If that is what they are I wouldn't want to pay more than 200 to have it as a shooter that I dont worry about keeping super nice.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    As long as they are intact and not mitchell mausers (e.g., usually distinguished by the COA and being way to clean, the other issues such as restamped numbers etc take a trained eye to figure out). I would snag both, even if RC's or missmatched.

screamingeagle

Mar 7, 2010
    Save your money and buy a real WW2 combat Mauser , may take a little longer but it's something you'll be happy with forever. A real piece of history and an iconic rifle. You can get a decent one non russian capture for about $700.00 a nice one with 100% blueing a grand up to 1,800 depending on year and code.

tommy gunn

Apr 7, 2012
    calvert county
    I finally got a chance to go look at those mausers today. They were Mitchell's. They looked really nice tho. One had a few nazi markings on it but you could tell its really been worked on. The other had what looked like Russian markings on it and looked alot nicer IMO. The nazi one looked like it had 2 riflings in the barrel. It just didnt look right. Now mind you I am by far no expert. The russian(?) had a nice clean looking rifling and the bolt handle was angled down to allow for a scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom